Brian Waldron resigns Matt Hanson new CEO

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

From the DT site.
MELBOURNE Storm NRL chief executive Brian Waldron has defected to the new Super 15 rugby union franchise Melbourne Rebels.

The Rebels, who are set to join an expanded competition in 2011, lured Waldron across after five years in his position with the NRL champions.

The Storm staff, coaches and players were told of his departure today.

Waldron's position at the Storm is to be filled by the club's former chief operating officer Matt Hanson, who takes over the position, effective immediately.

Hanson was a former chief financial officer of the St Kilda Football Club, and general manager finance and administration at Etihad Stadium.
And from the OS.
Hanson appointed new Storm CEO
Monday, 11 January 2010

The board of Melbourne Storm would today like to announce that Matt Hanson has been appointed acting CEO of the Melbourne Storm.

/site/_content/image/00005341-image.jpg

Matt’s former position with the Melbourne Storm was that of Chief Operating Officer, and he comes to his new position as a former Chief Financial Officer of the St Kilda Football Club, and General Manager Finance and Administration at Etihad Stadium.

Matt’s appointment comes about due to the resignation of Brian Waldron who is leaving the Club to take up a new career opportunity.

The Board of Melbourne Storm would like to sincerely thank Brian for his time at the Club and the magnificent contribution he has made to this Rugby League Club.

Acting CEO Matt Hanson is both delighted and excited by the challenges that the Melbourne Storm face in the upcoming months.

“The first challenge will be to introduce our members and supporters, along with all of our other stakeholders, to our new home ground,” said Hanson.

“For the first time we are going to have a home that will provide accommodation and a spectacle for Victorian fans of rugby league that has never been witnessed before in this state.”

During the past four years, the Melbourne Storm has embarked on a period of unparalleled success, contesting the last four Grand Finals, resulting in a further two Premierships to add to the 1999 triumph achieved in only the Club’s second year of existence.

“The past four years has been an incredible time for the Storm, but the new year has started now, all staff are back on deck and it is business as usual as we move into an exciting new period in the Club’s history,” said Hanson.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Sh*t...

This is not good news
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BS we dont need him lol we have the last 3 worlds best players and the best coach in Australia

if we dont do well this year it wont be because of brian thats for sure

cant blame him though he still cant get through to the NRL and channel nine to get the game live
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Meh, Waldron was the right person for the period but time for some new blood.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can't say i'm overly happy about hearing this. If he was leaving to do something else then it'd be a bit easier to cop but it does worry me that he's going to head the organization that directly up against us. It's not to be underestimated what Waldron has done for the club off the field and i've gotta say i'm concerned he's taking all that and maybe even possible sponsorship dollars he's helped bring to the Storm.

With them coming into the comp, the new soccer team, the Victory and all Melbourne based AFL clubs those dollars will be even harder to attract and keep than they've ever been. Not to mention the intimate knowledge he takes with him of the Storm and going straight to the "enemy" so to speak. I can't frucking believe it....
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

*sigh* he was a character and thats what i liked about him. i cant say i saw it comming at all
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hansen looks like a bright young administrator, we'll be fine. I think Wally had taken us as far as his style of leadership could.

PS. Wont affect us on his SEN spot, all he did was talk AFL anyway.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree with Matt Hansen and not to take away anything from him at all. I think we did the right thing appointing someone from within the club, who knows the system so i certainly don't think we'll lose anything there and think we're in good hands. I'm just more worried about what Waldron takes away with him as  mentioned above.

It's like the head of Coke defecting to Pepsi. That's obviously an extreme example but also not without similarities, the Rebels obviously knew exactly what they were doing by head hunting him.
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Thanks for the good work Brian  8)
You came in with the aim of promoting the brand & setting up a culture at the club.Tough ask but well achieved.
You didn't make many friends amongst the dinosaurs & knuckleheads outside Victoria.

I wish you all the best trying to get the same success with RU in Victoria.A MUCH tougher ask & even more knuckleheads  ;D

So................. What now for Storm  ???
New Decade - New Stadium  - New faces both on & off the field - New excitement for the old fans & an undiscovered country for our NEW fans  Image
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Think Brian did a good job for the Storm, but feel he somtimes ruffled a few too many feathers. As a CEO you have to stand up for the best interest of your employer (the club). but somtimes you also have to 'play the game' with the other teams.
Wish Matt the best of luck in his new role and hope he can spread the rugby league gospel further and louder

thought this quote seemed a little self centered??? or is it just me

"I leave Melbourne Storm in tremendous shape and we've achieved some amazing things here in my time," Waldron said.
Last edited by coupy73 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just my opinions......critique them, don't criticise me!!!
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CEO are rarely around for more than a few years so its nothing new in business. I did like Wally, he certainly stood up for the brand and was an excellent figurehead, though the Cam smith incident and judiciary didnt help us. Good luck to him, long as we keep our sponsors - and no reason we should not, then i dont have a problem...and it looks like they are after Thurston rather than our players...
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

wow...that was surprising! Good luck over at Rah Rah Waldron...did a great job with us.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
gothestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think Waldron was a very good CEO and raised the profile of the Storm.

Good luck to his future endeavours.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

It'll be interesting to see what path Waldron follows at the Rebels. Given his performance for the Storm I would presume that he would look to work with us rather than against us. In his time as Storm CEO he was careful not to generate a perception that Storm were competing directly against the AFL.

Who knows, perhaps we'll see Waldron looking at joint marketing/ticketing initiatives between Storm and the Rebels.

On the corporate sponsors, I think the new TV rights will have more of an influence than the Rebels.

The other issue is how many back office staff will Waldron take with him and what will this mean for News Ltd's push to exit the NRL.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Brian Thank you for your wonderful work. You have done a great job for us over the last 5 years.

I reckon Chris Couch should n ow step up to a higher role in the club. He has done a super job as media manager.

Wiht Matt being CEO maybe Chris could take Matt's position

good luck Matt Hanson as CEO