Brian Waldron resigns Matt Hanson new CEO

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

New Decade - New Stadium  - New faces both on & off the field - New excitement for the old fans & an undiscovered country for our NEW fans  Image
[/quote]

My God i just got shivers LOL (its 40 degrees) that should be our new slogan

NEW DECADE NEW STADIUM NEW FACES
                                                  STORM 2010
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brian thanks for your five years at the Storm you have done a wonderful job. Brian always said that he wanted to set up the Storm so it wasn't reliant on one person and he has been able to do that successfully with the on field team, hopefully this is shown off field as well following his departure. Brian was instrumental in setting up our off field structure with a path way to professional rugby league in Victoria with the SG Ball team and the Melbourne-based NSW Cup team.

Being the CEO of a new franchise will be a tremendous professional challenge for Brian.

I am a bit concerned that this will make it easier for the Rebels to "steal" the Storm's staff, players and sponsors.

Having said that I wish Brian and the Rebels all the best.

I intend to get a Rebels membership as well as my Storm membership. Before you say anything I think a person can support more than one footy code and if I didn't have that philosophy I would be following AFL only because I am a born and bred Victorian.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The more I think about it the more i reckon we were better for Brian then he was for us. He was perfect for what we needed at the time i.e. a big mouth who knows melbourne. But lets be honest his previous track record in AFL wasnt that great, he just lucked into the job when we got some GREAT players coming through the ranks with a GREAT coach which made his job about 2 million times easier.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ice wrote: I can't say i'm overly happy about hearing this. If he was leaving to do something else then it'd be a bit easier to cop but it does worry me that he's going to head the organization that directly up against us. It's not to be underestimated what Waldron has done for the club off the field and i've gotta say i'm concerned he's taking all that and maybe even possible sponsorship dollars he's helped bring to the Storm.

With them coming into the comp, the new soccer team, the Victory and all Melbourne based AFL clubs those dollars will be even harder to attract and keep than they've ever been. Not to mention the intimate knowledge he takes with him of the Storm and going straight to the "enemy" so to speak. I can't frucking believe it....
My thoughts exactly, so I brought up your post Ice.

Whilst I am very disappointed in Brian leaving the Storm, I sort of don't blame him, lets be honest ,he's defecting for more $$$$$$$'s.
What concerns me is this new rugby franchise is not going to stop with just signing him.  I did try and warn you all in another thread that they will stop at nothing to pinch our players, sponsors, staff and what ever else to make Union  more successful than rugby league is here in Melbourne.
They can go and lima lima lima duck off as far as I am concerned. :x
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Scooter wrote:I intend to get a Rebels membership as well as my Storm membership. Before you say anything I think a person can support more than one footy code and if I didn't have that philosophy I would be following AFL only because I am a born and bred Victorian.
What does being a born and bred Victorian have to do with choosing AFL over Melbourne Storm?

I'm a born and bred Victorian and I haven't watched a full AFL game since about 1991 or thereabouts.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:
Scooter wrote:I intend to get a Rebels membership as well as my Storm membership. Before you say anything I think a person can support more than one footy code and if I didn't have that philosophy I would be following AFL only because I am a born and bred Victorian.
What does being a born and bred Victorian have to do with choosing AFL over Melbourne Storm?

I'm a born and bred Victorian and I haven't watched a full AFL game since about 1991 or thereabouts.
What I was getting at is if I didn't have the philosophy that I can support more than one footy code I would be following only the AFL like 90% of Victorians who think league and union are crap games because they are played in NSW and Qld.
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Ice wrote: ....

It's like the head of Coke defecting to Pepsi. That's obviously an extreme example but also not without similarities, the Rebels obviously knew exactly what they were doing by head hunting him.
Yea but its like the new head of Pepsi saying he still likes Coke and will always like it. :lol:
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
Crooner
Squall
Squall

Let me play devils advocate here.
Can we read intio this in regard to News Ltd wanting out, and what that means to the Melbourne Storm?
If News Ltd stay involved at all you can bet it will be with the money the Broncos generate as apposed to the money pit we have been for a number of years.

Make no mistake, this is concerning, there will be more to Brian leaving then meets the eye. Just not sure what that is.
Lets make League viable in Melbourne.
gothestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Some people are saying that Brian knew the end was near and that the Storm probably won't be around in a couple of years.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Some people also say your an idiot....no wait, EVERYONE says your an idiot.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think he did a good job with us, his relationship with the local media helped us,

Dont know much about the new guy, but I hope he goes well,

Hate  to be negative here but, when i first heard the news I could'nt help but think,

I hope he is'nt predicting  there will be tough times ahead with News  Ltd supposidly pulling the plug in a couple of years and he is  getting out and changing jobs while they are on top and everything looks rosey, which will be good for his personal resume.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It does,nt matter whether you like him or you don,t ( and quite frankly I don't) the facts are that he knows a LOT about Melbourne Storm and with that I mean a lot of personal things about the players ect..which if needed he could use to poach them.Because when you call a spade a spade,Waldron is a business man and is not above using under hand tactics for the good of whomever he has allegiance to at the time. As I have said before all Waldron gives is lip service and he is good at it,that is what makes him good at his job and worth the big bucks they have obviously used to lure him away,and to use his own words from the last forum that I attended.."This club prides itself on loyalty and people will stay if they want to "not for money"
Don't under estimate this man he will use it against you !!!
One thing that does sadden me though re his leaving is the on going case with Greg Inglis,I know that there will always be someone from the storm to look out for him , but for some reason you felt that he would be ok as long as Waldron was looking after him....just a thought :icon_frown:
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Scooter wrote:
Surandy wrote:

What I was getting at is if I didn't have the philosophy that I can support more than one footy code I would be following only the AFL like 90% of Victorians who think league and union are crap games because they are played in NSW and Qld.
I don't think your estimation that 90% of Victorians think league and union are crap is correct...it would be much less than than that.
I have a number of friends who follow both afl/soccer and also love their rugby league and one that follows both union and league.
There's no doubt we have many storm fans that support other codes as well and its great they have jumped on the Storm bandwagon as well.
I used to be quite a big fan of rugby union years ago, but as the years rolled by, I watched Union pilferring league players and slowly turned away from that code.  Its not union fans that I have an issue with, its the code itself now.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

CooperCronk wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Surandy wrote: What does being a born and bred Victorian have to do with choosing AFL over Melbourne Storm?

I don't think your estimation that 90% of Victorians think league and union are crap is correct...it would be much less than than that.
I have a number of friends who follow both afl/soccer and also love their rugby league and one that follows both union and league.
There's no doubt we have many storm fans that support other codes as well and its great they have jumped on the Storm bandwagon as well.
I used to be quite a big fan of rugby union years ago, but as the years rolled by, I watched Union pilferring league players and slowly turned away from that code.  Its not union fans that I have an issue with, its the code itself now.
I prefer league to union,

But if you were to use the argument that you dont like Rugby only because they poach league players, I wouldn't go saying that too loudly in front of union fans,

they will  laugh in your face for that and call it karma,  league has poached the best rugby players  in their whole existence , starting with Dally messenger and into the 80s and 90s with Ray Price, Micheal Oconner and Ricky Stuart ,   its only in the last decade a more cashed up rugby  has got a little bit of revenge and got a few  back .
Last edited by Play the ball on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

CooperCronk wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Surandy wrote: What does being a born and bred Victorian have to do with choosing AFL over Melbourne Storm?

Majority of people I know love AFL, maybe follow the Victory and don't know a hell of a lot re: league or union. I was talking to someone today re: the Rebels and another mate asked "are the Rebels and Storm different codes of rugby?" Maybe my original 90% might be a bit high but it would still be about 75% of Melburnians / Victorians who don't really care about the Storm.