Quinn takes mighty steps

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It looks like Quinny is on the road to recovery after what appeared to be possibly a career ending injury. I know he's copped his fair of shit from some Storm fans as well as oppositition fans (more often than not unfairly IMO) but i think we've really missed him this year and would love to have had him in the team. Hopefully he makes a full recovery for the start of next season because we'll probably need him even more then. Can't wait to see you back Quinny.

MELBOURNE Storm winger Anthony Quinn is on the mend after career-saving surgery to replace two bulging discs in his neck. Quinn has returned to light training after having the operation two weeks ago on the Gold Coast. The 26-year-old, who is contracted to Storm for another three seasons, had been managing pain in his neck since the problem first surfaced in the 2007 grand final. But several incidents this season, particularly a clash that left him unconscious for several minutes in Round 7, forced him to go under the knife.

"If I didn't have it done I reckon I would have had to hang the boots up," Quinn said yesterday. "But I'm happy to miss a couple of games this year if it is going to give me the chance to play on. And 20 or 30 years down the track I am not going to have to worry about the neck problems I would have had if we left it untreated. "The surgeon who did it was very pleased and said it went like clockwork."

Quinn had two synthetic discs inserted to replace the damaged ones and they will remain in place for life. "The discs themselves are definitely going to outlast me," he said. "And the range of movement I have now (compared) to before, it has changed tenfold. Straight away, the next day, I could feel that everything was feeling good and it was a lot smoother to turn my head."

Like many footballers Quinn was happy to play with some pain but he could only tolerate it for so long and considering the risk of long-term damage chose to end his season early. "We were looking at getting the surgery done at the end of the year because it was an ongoing problem that we had been managing," Quinn said.

"It was just a pain in the neck really, a dull ache you would get from about midday when the weight of your head has been pushing down for a few hours. In the back of my head I knew there were ways to fix it. "We were hoping it wasn't going to get that bad but in the end it did. I knew we needed to get it fixed up."The decision to have the operation was not made lightly and Quinn, along with Storm's medical staff, spent time researching the best option.

Club physio Mary Toomey said the positive recovery results from this surgery, a relatively new procedure, made the decision easier. "He had to have something done and there are other surgical options that may have given him a reasonable outcome but wouldn't have allowed him to consider playing again," Toomey said. "And any surgery to your neck and spine you consider very carefully.

"But the evidence in terms of outcomes is positive. He's back doing some limited training now and the expectation is that somewhere between 16 and 20 weeks post-op he will be ready for full contact training." Quinn can take heart from Gold Coast Titans star Mat Rogers, who had the surgery and is back playing without any problems. But Rogers' return came after a rigorous and meticulous rehabilitation program which is the road now in front of Quinn before his return next season.

"No surgery gives you a guarantee to play. What surgery does is give you the best possible chance," Toomey said. "The potential is there for him now to play again and if everything goes OK, if he ticks every box in his rehab, this shouldn't compromise him in any way."
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

ONya Quinny.

Hope to see ya better than ever next year. :D
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We saw him at training last week he was slow walking around but looked good
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hopeing he recovers 100%, but neck-injuries...............
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think its just a season to forget and move on for Quinn.

Unfortunately i probably wouldn't have him in our team if he was in full health at the moment anyway. Tomane took his chance IMO and besides a few scary moments in defence has been very good (bloody Gold Coast)

Saying that though we are going to need Quinn at his best or near it for next season with both Turner and Tomane gone.

Two things i was surprised with...1. He is only 26 and 2. we still have him for another years   
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope Quinny gets back to full health. We have missed his dummy half runs and his toughness. Amazing that he has played 162 NRL games and is only 26.

He was one of the players who signed a long term contract last year after his 3 Origin games.
changalanga
Squall
Squall

Quinny has had a bad year but he is a gun when he is fully fit ,which i am sure by next season he will be fit and back to his best,We have missed him badly this year and cant wait to see him running around for us next season,also,last night at the after party Quinny was the last player to leave after signing everything he had put in front of him, and was more than happy to talk to everyone and have as many pics as supporters wanted,guys like him are fantastic for our club and i hope he never has to leave like other players because of salary cap,too many Quality humans have left our club already