dont play tomane again

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
changalanga
Squall
Squall

bellyache should not play to mane in the ones for the rest of the year and replace him with a player that is going to stay with us longer than the end of the year,why play him and give him any more experience that he is going to take to another side next year,when we could be blooding our young guns from the under 20's,who can get great experience and learn to play with the senior squad now,or play our gun players from the central coast who I'm sure would love the challenge and who aren't going to play few good games,get ab it of publicity and drop us like a hot potato,the sooner we can get our players from the Victorian league[sg ball]etc,the sooner we will  be able to keep our players as a lot of the players that leave use the excuse of wanting to go home to their family which live in another state,i cant wait for the day when we have virtually an all Victorian side and then we will show the league that Victoria can truly kick the arse of the traditional league states with players from the so called inferior state who are loyal and want to play for the mighty storm and their very loyal supporters....
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Punctuation. If you use it, from time to time, your rants will be much easier to read.
your kettle is black
Squall
Squall

changalanga wrote: ,the sooner we can get our players from the Victorian league[sg ball]etc,the sooner we will  be able to keep our players as a lot of the players that leave use the excuse of wanting to go home to their family which live in another state,i cant wait for the day when we have virtually an all Victorian side and then we will show the league that Victoria can truly kick the arse of the traditional league states with players from the so called inferior state who are loyal and want to play for the mighty storm and their very loyal supporters....

You'll be waiting a long time. While it's great that the junior system in Victoria is starting to produce players of talent and ability, the odds of managing to produce a completely home grown side (from a comparatively tiny pool of talent) are astronomical. It's a professional code and all sides need to recruit from wherever they can access players that meet their needs. The Storm have been accessing players from across the regions of NSW and Queensland for 12 seasons now, and this has offered opportunties for talent to be identified that may have been lost.

It's hypocritical to complain of losing players to other teams when so many players from the storm team have been recruited from other sides regions. Every club has to deal with this, year in year out, and while it's unfortunate for the storm that they have lost some players to "homesickness", there are plenty of players who have stuck around, even though their families and friends from childhood are not seen for weeks or months at a time during the season. Focus on that as a positive. Smith, Slater, Inglis and the like have all stayed, while others have excercised their right to accept employment elsewhere. It's not an 'excuse' as you put it, it's a reason, and a damn good one. If a player decides he's happy to accept a little less money for the chance to live where they want, that's their own business, and provided they go about it ethically like Isreal Falou did, there's no reason to complain.

No club can (or should be able to) keep them all. If they did, Brisbane would probably win every year, and nobody wants that.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You hit the nail on the head there Kettle - ethically!  By all accounts, Tomane was anything but, and that's why there is such feelings towards him at present.  The same with Orford.  You don't hear anywhere near the animosity towards players like Issy or Crocker, as they didn't do the dodgy by the club.  Tomane did. 
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
your kettle is black
Squall
Squall

steaming stormer wrote: You hit the nail on the head there Kettle - ethically!  By all accounts, Tomane was anything but, and that's why there is such feelings towards him at present.  The same with Orford.  You don't hear anywhere near the animosity towards players like Issy or Crocker, as they didn't do the dodgy by the club.  Tomane did. 
It's completely understandable that there is some angst towards players that are leaving a club from the fans, but as was stated in the Tomane thread, the game is a business, and he's broken no laws in the way he conducted himself. Perhaps he should have been more open about his intentions, but he doesn't have a legal obligation to present them to his current club or the fans.
It's a business for players as well as clubs, and given the salary cap situation at the Storm, Tomanes manager seems to have advised him that better offers were available elsewhere.
The manager gets a cut as well, so they're acting in the interest of their own pockets too.
I'd also agree that it would be much better if trading only occured in the off season, but it isn't...
It may be that it would have cast him in a more favourable light if he was more open in his dealings, but do any of us have an obligation to inform our employer if we're examining other jobs? No, not until we decide to accept the other position!

As for the amount of effort the Storm invested in him to sign him up initially, yes it must be very frustrating for the coaching staff but as I stated before, every club has to deal with this and you can't keep them all. If he's the best option for a spot in the team and he's still putting in at training, he should play!
To a large extent, it seems to me that he was forced out by salary cap constraints like Folau and Crocker, the only difference being that it is much earlier in the season.
Last edited by your kettle is black on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mate, he can't have been forced out by salary cap constraints - he didn't allow the club to make an offer! 

Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

if this was Cronk or Inglis then i could maybe understand the hoopla. but its Tomane...he is relatively unproven! who cares what he wants to do....if he wasnt completely up front with the club then that makes him a dishonest ahole....but doesnt mean he shouldnt be allowed to take his place in the team...he deserves that spot for what he has done THIS year...not for what he is going to do NEXT year.

Get over it...we will find someone to take his place...we are more then 1 player always have been always will be. Let him help us win another premiership then he can piss off to the titans where he will never see a premiership ring.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Interesting aside - Snippet in RLW about the $2,000 fine,(could have been MUCH more)because ALL of Tomane's conversion kicks during the Broncos game went over the 100 second limit  #-o
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

It will be interesting to see how he plays this weekend.
your kettle is black
Squall
Squall

steaming stormer wrote: Mate, he can't have been forced out by salary cap constraints - he didn't allow the club to make an offer! 
And as I said that must be very frustrating, but the Storm don't have as much coin as some other clubs to buy with.
I'll bet the club that developed him before the Storm got him were pretty miffed when he went as well, and when he leaves the Titans, he may well ruffle feathers there too. He's in it for the money, and it may well be that he's simply more open about it than some (or the rare player these days who still does it purely for the love)
His manager (who stands to profit from the bigger wage at the Titans) would be very influential with a young player that has bright prospects, and the lure of home is hard to beat.

Every club has a virtual revolving door these days, and players come and go. As long as there's a core group to build around, these changes can be dealt with at any club.
Last edited by your kettle is black on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MtVaeaG
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Even if he did sign with the storm we shouldn't play him anyway! Anyone could have scored the tries he did against the broncos, what's so amazing about that?

His defence is crap! most of the tries scored against us are down his wing, all the manly and rooster tries one against the raiders and one last week against the rabbitohs all down his wing..he's overhyped.
endo
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

changalanga wrote: bellyache should not play to mane in the ones for the rest of the year and replace him with a player that is going to stay with us longer than the end of the year,
I totally agree with you, why should a good player like Quinn be sidelined for someone who is going to bugger off?
sooner we can get our players from the Victorian league[sg ball]etc,the sooner we will  be able to keep our players
Most players go where the money is regardless of which state they are from... I dont for a minute believe the "I want to be close to my family" is an excuse... How many Kiwi players have the Storm had over the years that have buggered off back to unzud to be closer to family? They atleast have an excuse... its overseas! This is the reality of Rugby League... 

It's also something that has a lot of AFL supporters that I speak to a bit miffed... They don't understand it as AFL players generally dont move around as much. But having said all that, compared to the big names like Slater, GI and Cam Smith.. Tomane is a no one, yeah he scored a few good tries but he aint no Marcus Bai :) And these guys have resigned, so loyalty isnt dead so we can all sleep well at night :)

As for the VRL its still a pretty tiny competition. Its good to see there are a lot more clubs then when I played 15 yrs ago (OMG Im getting old!) but its still got a long way to go. Pit :'( :'(y the mighty Dandy Knights are gone :( :'(
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This business aside, I would like to let everyone on here know (who was either not at the Storm v Broncos game or had left when the game ended) that after all the players had well and truly left the field after doing the Victory Lap that there were TWO players still standing over near the Nikau stand happily signing autographs and posing for photos with young fans and these 2 players were Cameron Smith (obviously - one the nicest players in the team) and JOE TOMANE. And I don't mean there were only 10 people wanting their autographs there was quite a crowd.
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mabye Searle was one in the crowd and slipped a contract under his nose and he signed it unknowingly... :lol: :lol:

Fixed typo!
Last edited by steaming stormer on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

:lol: @ SS...

Yeah I must say Tomane was great with the autographs and stopping to chat after the trial game on the Sunshine Coast... maybe we all made him feel a little too welcomed up here...  8-[