Johns stays in coaching role

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron says disgraced rugby league personality Matthew Johns will remain a part of the Storm's coaching staff.

Johns was on Monday night named and shamed in a report on the ABC's Four Corners program which detailed a group sex encounter with a teenage woman in Christchurch in 2002 - during Johns's time as a player at Cronulla.

The Storm's support of Johns follows earlier claims from NRL boss David Gallop that there was  a "massive question mark" over his future involvement in the game.

The former Test star currently serves as a part-time assistant coach with the Storm on top of his bulging list of media activities, the most notable of which is his role with the Nine Network as both a commentator and as a host on the The Footy Show.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said the club had not changed their stance on Johns following the airing of Monday night's program titled 'Code of Silence'.

"Matthew will continue his involvement with the Storm," Waldron said.

"Matthew's a part-time skills coach. This is an issue for Matthew to deal with which he is and all parties involved externally from any dealings with the club."
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
gothestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What a joke Waldron!!! You have just lost all the women supporters you *lima lima lima duck*
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

gothestorm wrote: What a joke Waldron!!! You have just lost all the women supporters you *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!*
lol
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
estormboy
Squall
Squall

gothestorm wrote: What a joke Waldron!!! You have just lost all the women supporters you *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!*
Are you for real ???

Gee ... I'd hate to be one of your friends in a time of need :roll:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am a female and I think everyone deserves a second chance...besides it was 7 yrs ago...but he mucks up again he would definitely be gone in my books.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

On ya bike then.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This issue coming up 7 yrs later would of opened up old wounds for the johns family I suppose but then I guess the victim has never moved on.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yes Justice will be served if Mathew is found hang from a tree because of a very poor one sided media beat up. Questions must be asked? Does the things only happen in League? I am sure if the reporter looked deeper they may have found a story a little more recent. Did the powers of the NRL known about it 7 years ago oh yes then David wheres the resignation for your poor management. People need to take the focus of the man and stay on the attitude that can be found in every Hotel, Pub or Club across the world and if you dont thinck so it then you haven't surfed the net at all (some people think group sex is the best thing since sliced bread). Men need education that these acts are not general acceptable, Women needed education that if you put yourself in bad situations bad thing may happen. I could go on but wont but to say help the people involved and focus on the problem. I am sorry that this women has gone through this and she needs all the support she can get but its a bigger story than Mathew Johns. PS put him on full time he is going to need support to even if he was wrong.
coopergirl
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Well done Brian Waldron & the Melbourne Storm in regards to the Johns matter. Everyone deverses a second chance and we all may mistakes. It incident happened a long time ago and people change. i am glad Storm is supporting Johns. All the best for Johns
toe
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Does anyone know what the best address to send a letter of support to Matthew Johns would be? (The Storm or Chan 9)

Cheers
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree he's copping some harsh treatment, and sure as hell this issue isn't solely in rugby league, but society in general is littered with these types of sexual experiences.
In terms of supporting the bloke though, if nothing else, he cheated on his mrs when he was married with 2 kids - I think he's copping it harder than he should, but he still isn't a saint in this scenario!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This happened what, 7 years ago. We still hired him back then so why should we drop him now?

I'm glad Storm are supporting Johns aswell and so am I.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can not believe this has jsut come through.....
MATTHEW Johns' career suffered another blow today after being stood down as assistant coach of Melbourne Storm.

"We felt it was in the best interests of all parties," said Storm CEO Brian Waldron.

The Storm released a one paragraph statement which read: "Following discussions between Melbourne Storm and Matthew Johns' management earlier today, it was mutually agreed that Matthew would stand down from his part-time role with the club, indefinitely."
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I am extremely disappointed with Waldron and the Storm administration for this.

Saying one thing to the media - and then the next day doing the exact opposite.

They should have been loyal to Johns - and I feel they will suffer a fair bit of backlash for this.

Waldron's only concern is disassociating the club from the scandal - and in the process he's betrayed a loyal friend.

Not happy with this decision at all.
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Temi wrote: I am extremely disappointed with Waldron and the Storm administration for this.

Saying one thing to the media - and then the next day doing the exact opposite.

They should have been loyal to Johns - and I feel they will suffer a fair bit of backlash for this.

Waldron's only concern is disassociating the club from the scandal - and in the process he's betrayed a loyal friend.

Not happy with this decision at all.

Could of been forced to by the NRL..... Or maybe Johns wants to hide under a rock for the rest of the year ......

Don't jump to too many conclusions too soon.
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?