Getting closer

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Announcement by the Minister says that
16.03.09: Melbourne's $268 Million Rectangular Stadium Nears Completion

Melbourne's skyline is changing with the shaping of a new icon, the $268 million Rectangular Stadium.

As the distinctive roof frames of the structure are bolted into place, Melburnians are getting an idea of how the new 31,000 capacity stadium is going to look.

The Victorian Government is taking action to invest in vital infrastructure, as with The Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, which creates jobs and new business opportunities, while being an important new sports and entertainment facility.

More than 1200 workers have been employed both on and off site during the project, which is expected to generate about $775 million in benefits for the construction and associated industries.

The distinctive roof is also a triumph for Australia's manufacturing sector with the steel frames and cladding panels being manufactured in Melbourne and Launceston.

The stadium will also feature a world-class playing surface and player's facilities as well as an associated sports campus with medical facilities and administration offices.
The Melbourne Rectangular Stadium will be operational in 2010 with the first tenants moving in by mid-2009.
The hand over is meant to be December 1, but talk from the Department is that it will be more like early September..... with announcements of the government support (money) for the 2nd A League team and a Super 15 team in Melbourne.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think I'll travel up for the opener.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Can't wait for it to open and our first game there in 2010.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kinda sucks that we won't be the first tenants to get proper use of it. But I read somewhere that they'll be playing the ANZAC Test here in May and that will be the official opening of the stadium.
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wont be this May...... and the Government wont wait that long

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

they were going to use it prior to that, but I also read that they were going to use the ANZAC match next year as the 'Official Opening' - even though it would already have been used
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm sure it will be officially opened when we are all in our seats watching the first kickoff!
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Interesting snippet in a Roy Masters article about the ownership of the Storm and the NRL:
Meanwhile, in Melbourne, the Storm's new stadium is not expected to be ready until a month into the 2010 season. But the Storm have a good rental deal with the Victorian Government and enjoy the fealty of a senior minister anxious for rugby league to have first use of the arena, ahead of football, union or a concert.
The rest of the article is a good read as well:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/st ... ntentSwap1
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Please, please please tell me that the powers that be can think of a better name than "Melbourne rectangular stadium"!!!!

No doubt it will get a new name linked to a corporate sponsor, but I hope it doesn't lose the spirit of good ol' Olympic Park, even if it was cold, uncomfortable, surrounded by a running track with crap facilities .... it's still a place I love.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Do we know who the 'senior minister' is? State or Federal, as one company working on the stadium (wiring) believe they will be all finished by August this year.

Gillard (Deputy PM) still hasn't been to a game and only attended two 'media' functions after SHE got one of her staff to ring the club to ASK TO BE the Number One Female ticket holder, so please don't be her as the senior minister.

Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Stormwarning[c] wrote:Gillard (Deputy PM) still hasn't been to a game and only attended two 'media' functions after SHE got one of her staff to ring the club to ASK TO BE the Number One Female ticket holder, so please don't be her as the senior minister.
She hasn't? Does she have a double? I saw someone that looks like the spitting image of her in the corporate area near the coaches box at the top of the Lazarus Stand last year.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really, my mistake if she has

She has sent staff to a couple of functions in her place so far and even at the club launch last year she didn't even give us much time and focus.
JULIA GILLARD: Obviously I am very pleased and proud to have become the number one female ticket holder of the Melbourne Storm. I am looking forward to a great season in 2008 and it’s been a great pleasure to be here this morning with Molly Meldrum the number one male ticket holder and of course the coach and all of the team.
This was all she said at the launch and then turned the rest of her speech to Howard, Work Choices, Iraq, Budget speculation, at our season launch.

CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

She better get her botty to some games at least, or she'll get booted :lol:
Cowbell_Mark
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Even though im also a huge victory fan, i would love to see the storm host the opener, imagine getting 30,000 to a regular season match!