Will this hurt our revenue?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Since the club has a thing for Monday nights due to the current broadcast agreement of the club getting a share of viewer revenue I'm wondering if the announcement the that the AFL will have games on a Monday night in 2009 effect us not only money wise but from a support wise as well?
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They are only playing one monday night game this year as a test
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

I doubt it as the only monday night game in Melbourne is against the Pies and Saints the day after Mothers day to replace the Mothers day afternoon game which is tradionally poorly attended.
Its all fun and games til someone gets kicked in the head...
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Regardless of what the AFL does on Mondays,having TOO MANY Storm games on Mondays has me seriously considering not renewing my membership,(not that the club gives a shit about that  :icon_frown: )
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

its not like the storm have a choice when they play they can say when they want to play doesnt mean they will get it like boofas last game at home was ment to be a saturday the storm applied for this and the nrl gave them monday night which turn out to be sunday night
get over your self mate storm will do well regadless of you being a member or not if thats the only reason your not gonna be a member then that is the stupidst thing ive ever heard :x

Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

When and where games are played is a massive factor in my decision to renew my AFL club membership each year.Have to weigh up value and estimated use against price.Im assuming Bourban Rat is going on something similar.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

STUFF THE AFL
if you like the storm you will buy the membership

Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

sallymay wrote: get over your self mate storm will do well regadless of you being a member or not if thats the only reason your not gonna be a member then that is the stupidst thing ive ever heard :x
sallymay wrote: STUFF THE AFL
Wow you're a tad judgemental there...

Regardless of how you personally feel about it, there are many people who follow both codes and game days and times do play a part in what sort of membership will be purchased for the year.  For some, money is a huge factor in the decision making no matter how much you love your team.
Coming here and bagging out Storm supporters who've been members for years aint a good way to start out on the Bai Stand.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote: STUFF THE AFL
Maybe if you're flushed with spare cash!
I like the Storm but I cant afford both memberships.Im sure Im not the only one in the same boat and Im not the only one offended by your comment.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

on the cash issue, if u r like many stormers and go to every home game, then a membership is cheaper than buying a ticket every week. that is if u want a reserved seat.
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sallymay wrote: its not like the storm have a choice when they play they can say when they want to play doesnt mean they will get it like boofas last game at home was ment to be a saturday the storm applied for this and the nrl gave them monday night which turn out to be sunday night
get over your self mate storm will do well regadless of you being a member or not if thats the only reason your not gonna be a member then that is the stupidst thing ive ever heard :x
LISTEN LITTLE GIRL I'VE BEEN A MEMBER SINCE 1998  :evil:
AND MONDAY NIGHT GAMES COST ME A LOT OF LOST MONEY - NOT TO MENTION AGRO FROM MY EMPLOYER - TRY LOOKING AT THINGS FROM AN ADULT VEIW POINT ONCE IN A WHILE INSTEAD FROM THE VIEW OF HOW NICE A PLAYERS ARSE IS.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

SW - As a courier I talk to a lot of people who are either double members(AFL - NRL) or AFL members that would come to Storm games.
If an AFL & Storm game clash most will choose the AFL game,as we are STILL seen as a NSW code  :?
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BR, this is why I have asked the question...the AFL NEVER trail anything unless they are committed to seeing it become part of their code that is going to increase their $$$$$$$$$$$.

They see the money being generated by the NRL for Monday nights and know that in this country at least TV broadcasters will pay more for the AFL.

If we take the Storm membership issue out of this topic, Storm has gained a massive amount of money this year from Monday night games due to 1) the current agreement 2) the figures of people watching 3) they are Storm home games, I'm not saying I like them, but any extra revenue that allows the club to expand I'm happy with.

While their is only the one trail game this year and it is in Melbourne I will not be surprised to see more games in 2010, most of those games interstate games which would actually take away from Melbourne people watching Storm if this years schedule continued. This would effect not only the club, but the code and that is something the AFL would also have in their focus and my concern.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Lazza
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Guys I wouldn't be too worried about the AFL introducing more Monday night games.  I think the only way it would ever hurt the Storm is if the AFL game is in Melbourne, on the same night as a Storm game.  Even then you're only talking about two teams and it's not finals so there won't be many neutral supporters going.  The AFL have tried Monday night games time and time again and it's failed miserably time and time again so I doubt there will be anything more than a few novelty games in year's to come.

If Channel 9 actually showed Monday night Storm games then we might be a little worried but they don't so I don't think there'll be any lost revenue there.

Geez I'm looking forward to seeing our boys next year.  Everyone (read Sydney tossers) think we're gonna fall big time.... have a look across the park though and we've still got a glut of talent.

GO STORM
We were robbed.  GO STORM in 2007!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apologies for bringing up the membership issue again, but why would scheduling conflicts cause anybody to completely throw away their membership at all levels?  If you can't make it to a lot of Storm games due to a lot of them being moved to an inconvenient day/time, why not get a different level of membership instead?  That way you are still a member, but you aren't wasting money on game entry when you won't be able to attend...

I guess I just don't understand the "cutting off your nose to spite your face" approach, but that's just me (I'm certainly not telling anyone what to do)...