Time is running out for Waldron

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
peter
Squall
Squall

Expect the Empire to strike back at Storm trooper
Andrew Webster | September 29, 2008

BRIAN WALDRON walked into the press conference like he was stepping on to a yacht and bit down hard on the hand that feeds him. It won't surprise if the hand throws a left jab and right cross after the grand final. Or, according to those who would know, passes on a termination letter.

Waldron is the chief executive for the News Ltd-owned Melbourne Storm. After Friday night's victory over the Sharks, his ego convinced him to sit front and centre, before the bank of television cameras and throng of journalists, so he could say: "The game has a responsibility to fix it. And the people running the game need to fix it because we're sick of it and we'll fix it if someone else doesn't."

Oops. News Ltd half-owns the NRL, too. It also owns The Daily Telegraph, the newspaper he and coach Craig Bellamy slammed for engineering a campaign against captain Cameron Smith as he defended his grapple tackle charge. Maybe Waldron should start boxing up his office now.

The whispers yesterday were that Waldron is a dead man walking. He is off with his News Ltd superiors, especially so now that he has attacked the Empire of the NRL in such a flagrant manner. :D

Other club chief executives aren't so shocked. They have cocked an eyebrow ever since the former AFL suit - he was chief executive at St Kilda and football manager at Richmond - walked into his first CEOs conference and started telling men who have had rugby league coursing through their veins since birth how to run their game.

Of course, it depends on how you read it. Some say Waldron has been a tempest of vitriol for the sole reason of earning column inches in a town that prays to the god of AFL every waking minute. Picking a fight against the "northern media" might just create some down south.

As if. The News Ltd-owned Herald-Sun will designate seven pages to Collingwood players Heath Shaw and Alan Didak running amok on the ink while the News Ltd-owned Melbourne Storm are given scant regard.

Perhaps the News Ltd bean counters have taken notice.

News Ltd freely admits the $8 million it receives out of the NRL each season is funnelled directly to the Melbourne Storm. For that reason, officials at Sydney clubs scoff whenever it's said that their Melbourne friends have done really, like, well.

They know precisely why the Storm have been able to build their dynasty. They know why they have reached their third successive grand final.

Yet they also know that Melbourne have lost in the vicinity of $30m over the past five years. Sydney clubs wince when reminded about that fact. Maybe News Ltd does, too.

But it's Waldron's manner that irks many, and it extends beyond the puerile comments of Sharks coach Ricky Stuart, who called Waldron a "flip" and an "idiot" after the loss to Melbourne on Friday night.

For an example of what they are talking about, you need only go back to the Storm's semi-final against Brisbane last Saturday week.

A video referee decision that went against the Storm prompted Waldron to rant and rave and seek out NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley to complain. While the game was still going.

When NRL chief executive David Gallop found out the next day, he read Waldron the riot act. Without question, Gallop would have relished handing Waldron with a $50,000 breach notice for the attack on the Empire on Friday night. News Ltd versus News Ltd.

The Herald called Waldron for comment last night. For a change, he had nothing to say.

The sooner we are rid of this clown the better.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thats a NICE Fairfax opinion piece
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

When an organisation is sick and dying, it's not a surprise that an outsider with a clearer vision is harangued and hounded. The status quo would have us believe that the smaller crowd figures, more controversies, less control of the game are all part of their five year plan with nothing to worry about.

That's a reactionary piece about the real truth - perhaps Waldron would be a better NRL CEO.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Waldron's the man..
Best CEO in the comp and if he was ever to leave the storm it should be to take over
Gallops job.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm surprised dial-a-quote Dennis Fitzgerald wasn't contacted for comment.
2012 premiers. Legit.
thunder
Squall
Squall

Let's face it - I like to speak the truth - Waldron is a loud mouthed, reactionary AFL WANNABEE!
He has very limited NRL knowledge and he reminds me of Fitzgerald when he opens his big mouth - he doesn't know what he's talking about!

His outburst the other day was a total waste of time - Either take the matter futher or shut your big gob!
He has been detrimental to this club and is lucky he walked into a ready made club on the verge of building a dynasty!
He hasn't attracted more members, crowds are no better, doen't handle himself with dignity in NRL circles, AFL minded, took away social club access to general members, brought in his cronies at the expense of the old admin..............
Basically, he has bluffed his way throufgh a ready made club!
I cringe everytime he opens his mouth!
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I for one had no time for Waldron when we obtained him, but now getting to know the man and his agenda I actually like the man and can see his focus for the club, may be his ways are not always in the NRL mould and can upset some people, but hey John Ribot was SH1T canned at every chance the northern media had on him too, so as far as I am concerned it doesn't matter who we have if they have an opinion then the northern media are going to hate it.  The points I like about Waldron, he does not back down to the pressure from the north, he has taken this team to heart and has made it his goal, he is approachable for the supporters, he is not afraid to yell and scream look at me and this team here, he has been in charge of several AFL teams so he knows how to compete with the AFL dynasty that has a hold here.  He has publicly stated that he is here for the long haul and does not expect to change things over night and as far as I am concerned if he makes people cringe when he opens his mouth then you are taking notice of what he is saying as the media don't give a toss about people who are meak and mild, but the denis the meances and ricky stuarts of the world.  So as far as I am concerned Give EM HELL Brian, for what it is worth I am behind you and what you stand for.... That is the Melbourne STORM our team.
I am back again.
Bay 6 Yobbo
Squall
Squall

And we have found him folks.
The love child of Warren Smith & Ray Hadley has surfaced!
Andrew Webster, you really have thrown the toys out the pram haven't you.
Nobody gives Brian credit for not playing into the NRL's hands & actually speaking out when they are unhappy. Geez Webster really woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday morning, didn't he. Must hate Mondays
The only thing faster than Billy Slater is the speed at which opposition fans leave Olympic Park after they lose!
VIC
Squall
Squall

Rubbish Thunder!!! Storm membership has grown, and crowds have grown steadily too!

You won't grow crowds exponentially until:-

1. The Storm get their new stadium. Olympic Park is a run-down piece of shit that struggles to accomodate 15,000 fans. Until this is rectified, crowds cannot grow significantly.
2. The NRL have to get Channel 9 to televise NRL games on a weekly basis in order to increase the exposure of the game.

Enough said and Waldron is doing a great job!
thunder
Squall
Squall

Hold on - This is the same bloke who now makes general members pay for social club access! Please!give us all a break!
How is a club supposed to grow when simple things like a community feel amongst members and players needs to be paid for?

He needs to get a grip because his loud mouth has taken the focus away from another great season and an awesome shut out win against the Sharks. What he should have done is kept his mouth shut and get the team ready for the Grand Final. The entire preparation has revolved around his spat and not the team. The distraction has had a huge negative impact!

If he really wanted to take on the NRL, why not take the matter further? He doesn't have the balls and is full of hot wind.

The club needs a cool headed CEO, someone who thinks logically and concentrates on the more important things such as winning the premiership and shoving it up the NRL and those morons such as Gallop, the judiciary and the media!

BTW, membership has grown an amazing 2% after 3 minor premierships and a 3rd Grand final appearance. Sure the new stadium will make a huge difference but these plans are nothing new! He has brought nothing new at all to the table - he has actually taken a lot away.
For what it's worth, Waldron approached myself and 2 fellow members at last years presentation and asked us to leave because we hadn't bought a ticket to the event. He told us it was a private function and we weren't welcome! This mind you was on public property out the front of the function room, well away from the event. Graet way to traet members who have been there from day 1 and can't affort to pay for such an event.
VIC
Squall
Squall

Well that'll teach for wanting to be a tight arse! hahaha
bruce
Squall
Squall

How many members do we have anyway??
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

thunder wrote:The club needs a cool headed CEO, someone who thinks logically and concentrates on the more important things such as winning the premiership and shoving it up the NRL and those morons such as Gallop, the judiciary and the media!
We could try and poach the Dragons CEO, would that suit you? Personally, I'd rather someone that knows the Melbourne market.

We currently have just under 8,000 members. Waldron does a great job sticking up for the players and getting the club noticed in a crowded market place.
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

thunder wrote: Hold on - This is the same bloke who now makes general members pay for social club access! Please!give us all a break!
How is a club supposed to grow when simple things like a community feel amongst members and players needs to be paid for?

He needs to get a grip because his loud mouth has taken the focus away from another great season and an awesome shut out win against the Sharks. What he should have done is kept his mouth shut and get the team ready for the Grand Final. The entire preparation has revolved around his spat and not the team. The distraction has had a huge negative impact!

If he really wanted to take on the NRL, why not take the matter further? He doesn't have the balls and is full of hot wind.

The club needs a cool headed CEO, someone who thinks logically and concentrates on the more important things such as winning the premiership and shoving it up the NRL and those morons such as Gallop, the judiciary and the media!

BTW, membership has grown an amazing 2% after 3 minor premierships and a 3rd Grand final appearance. Sure the new stadium will make a huge difference but these plans are nothing new! He has brought nothing new at all to the table - he has actually taken a lot away.
For what it's worth, Waldron approached myself and 2 fellow members at last years presentation and asked us to leave because we hadn't bought a ticket to the event. He told us it was a private function and we weren't welcome! This mind you was on public property out the front of the function room, well away from the event. Graet way to traet members who have been there from day 1 and can't affort to pay for such an event.
Sounds to me like you're letting personal issues with Waldron cloud your judgment on the job Waldron has done. Crowds and membership are both up, and we have a new stadium 2 years away. Looking good if you ask me.

I will agree with you on one thing though, they need to bring back free entry to the social club for ALL members.
Last edited by cam on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

cam wrote:I will agree with you on one thing though, they need to bring back free entry to the social club for ALL members.
Ain't going to happen. Putting on the After Party costs money so they will endeavour to recoup those costs, also the aim is to differentiate the more expensive membership offers.

Unfortunately I expect the club will move more and more towards AFL club membership/social club arrangements. They have to in order for Storm to become self-sufficient, the change will be gradual as the club needs to grow it's membership base by retaining as many existing members as possible whilst gaining new members. The other focus is to "encourage" existing members and future members to take out the dearer membership packages.

Think of it this way, in the new stadium the cost of maintaining a seat in a premium section is equivalent to the cost of maintaining a seat in the general admission section. So obviously a premium membership equals more profit for the club so how do you encourage someone to pay more for a premium membership? Firstly, a premium seat is in a better viewing area, secondly a premium member gets extra benefits than a general member, eg complementary access to the social club, discount to functions, etc. If there's no extra benefits in being a premium member then why would anyone become a premium member?