Storm captain for 2005...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Who should be Storm captain for 2005 (and beyond)?

Poll runs till Thu Jan 27, 2039 7:28 pm

Robbie Kearns
5%
Scott Hill
5%
Cameron Smith
43%
Matt Geyer
48%
Matt Orford
No votes
(Captain) Kirk Reynoldson :)
No votes

Total votes: 21
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With the confirmation that Kearney is heading off to England next year, who do we think should take over as Storm captain for 2005 and beyond?
Feel free to elaborate here, or add names that I overlook... :wink:

Reynoldson has been included for NSM/LR... :D
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

As much as Kearns deserves it back, Smith is the future of the Melbourne Storm.
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Smith is the man for the job, but perhaps we shouldn't burden him with it just yet. I say Kearns for the next 1-2 seasons, then Cam when Robbie retires.
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Kearns will retire after next season.
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Geyer or kearns for captain and Smith with vC
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Geyer or kearns for captain and Smith with Vice Captain
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kidwell... Kearns only has 1, maybe 2 years left, and as much as I hate to say it, I think Geyer is going to struggle to hold his spot over the next couple of years, with players like Stevie Turner and Dustin Cooper in waiting
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think giving the captaincy to Geyer would be an ideal way to show appreciation for his years of loyal service, which has been unfaltering in effort, skill, committment... he is a great role model for the young talent starting to make its way into the top grade, and his experience will be crucial in the development of these future stars.
He has also been (and still is) a true ambassador of the game and our Storm, and never shies away from a chat with the fans before and/or after the game.
I can certainly see Cameron as our future captain, but if Geyer does only have a couple of seasons to go before he retires, what better way to say "thankyou" than to send him out as Storm captain. :wink:
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

my sentiments have been voiced by some of you here. Cam Smith may be the popular vote to get the nod but after all he's done for the club, Matt Geyer won't be out of place with a (c) next to his name :D. Both being 80 minute players it shouldn't be a problem although Cam having replaced one of the biggest names in the club in his rookie year, playing Origin the next, and possibly captaining his club within a few years will be quite a feat. Was it him or Michael Russo who captained the junior Kangaroos a few years ago?
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just to clarify, I wasn't having a go at Geyer. The bloke epitomises what loyalty means, and has been a great player for the club. I just think that he is maybe about to be overtaken by some of the young guys
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

In terms of flash, yes, he's shown far less of that than any of our up and comers but i'm confident he'll hold his place until he leaves. The youngsters will just have to pounce on the centers or the other wing spot.

i think there should be one center spot open for next year. :wink:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:Just to clarify, I wasn't having a go at Geyer. The bloke epitomises what loyalty means, and has been a great player for the club. I just think that he is maybe about to be overtaken by some of the young guys
Yeah, sorry if I sounded like I was president of the Geyer fanclub making his election speech... I knew you weren't having a go at him, and you could possibly be right. I just think with all the new talent coming through, we are going to need someone with experience to help develop the young guys and keep them focused on and off the field, particularly when things aren't going that well, or conversely when things are going very well and they start getting the media attention (if the media do actually show some positive interest in the Storm that is. :roll: ).
Hells Bells
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I'd would like to see Smith at sometime get the job but at this point of time you couldn't go with anyone else but Geyer.

Although Geyer and some others are playing at under 80% fit I would like to think that it would bring Geyer up a level....in other words he might grow up :biggrin: :mrgreen:
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm sure someone will come up with some examples but I can't think of any wingers who have captained their club. Geyer deserves some recognition but given he's out on the wing he'd be too far away from the action to be an effective captain.
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

IMHO I think it should go to Geyer. It is just reward for a player who is out there for the full 80 minutes and is such a steadying and calming influence on the younger players.

Whilst I do like Cam's potential as a future Storm captain, I agree with the reasons listed above, as I don't think we should be burdening him with that at the moment.
*Champagne football*