Greg Inglis

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
CHITTYCHARGO
Squall
Squall

Melbourne superstar Greg Inglis says he can understand better than anyone why Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier jumped ship to French rugby and has declared his own future "up in the air".

In a message sure to send chills down the spines of NRL officials, Inglis - currently regarded as the game's best player - said his family would come first when he comes off contract in 2011.

Asked if he could commit his future to rugby league, Inglis told AAP: "It's always up in the air, isn't it?

"At the end of the day you've got to look after your own backyard.

"Athletes do it to provide their families with their best interests."

Inglis is one of only a handful of out-and-out NRL superstars, two of whom have already sent the game into a spin by signing with French rugby union clubs.

Sonny Bill Williams walked out on his five-year deal with the Bulldogs more than two weeks ago to join Toulon, while the former face of the Rugby League World Cup, Gasnier, has exercised a get-out in his contract with St George Illawarra and will link with Stade Francais after this NRL season.

"Sonny and Gaz, they're two different and separate cases," Inglis said.

"I don't care where they're both coming from but I'm probably one of the few people who do understand where they're both coming from."

Inglis said he was "quite shocked" by Williams' walkout.

"But he has his reasons and everyone's got their opinion on it, but I'm not saying too much more," he said.

Williams, Gasnier, Lockyer and Inglis are among a group of top tier NRL players which perhaps also includes North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston and Melbourne's Cameron Smith.

But Inglis said he didn't expect to feel greater pressure to stay in the 13-man game.

"No, not at all," he said.

"The boys may not talk about it but, it's always in the back of our mind ... what if. What if that happens, what if this happens."

Unlike Williams and Gasnier, the 21-year-old Storm five-eighth has a background in rugby union.

"I enjoyed it as a kid, playing it through high school but trying to crack the elite level of union is another story," he said.

"Whether I'd get bored at club level before I even put a Test jumper on, that's even if I get a chance to do it.

"There's always those possibilities of getting bored at the club level and not enjoying it, not playing your best footy, it could be a long road."

With the player exodus the NRL's most pressing issue, Test captain Lockyer on Tuesday denied he would be heading to English Super League club Huddersfield a year before his contract with Brisbane ends.

Broncos boss Bruno Cullen said, while the club was open to considering any request from a player of Lockyer's stature, he fully expected the champion five-eighth to play under new coach Ivan Henjak next year.

"I'm not saying it's not (the case) but it's that no-one's indicated to me that that's a possibility," Cullen told AAP.

"I'm very much expecting Locky to be with us next year and we'll talk about even beyond that, if there's any possibility, probably in the next off-season."
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

he seems to be enjoying his footy (on field anyway), off field is a different thing.

it would be a big loss to our club, but again, and i know what people will be saying "oh noez!!! if we dont have inglis we will never win again!!!"....thats total crap. 

would suck to see him leave but aslong as he doesnt walk out half way like that over-rated hack (sbw) then its all good.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

As good a natural as G I is......................

No one person is bigger than the team or the game.

Sadly the likes of Mundane & Nasser,(with personal agendas) are determined to convince people otherwise  :evil:

We can only hope that all our players make the choices that are right for themselves & their families.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He also keeps bringing up the prospect of getting bored playing union - I think he's leaving the door ajar as a bargaining chip, but will ultimately stay in League
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

FYI

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html
Greg Inglis heads down Khoder track

Brent Read | August 14, 2008
MELBOURNE superstar Greg Inglis is one of the game's most athletic players and yesterday he performed an extraordinary back-flip on rugby union, admitting he had not ruled out switching codes when his contract ends in 2010.

Inglis, who had previously described rugby union as boring and pledged his allegiance to rugby league, stressed he did not want to appear a hypocrite.

But the Queensland and Australia back acknowledged rugby union was a definite option down the track, creating the possibility he could follow Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier across the rugby divide.

Inglis's change of mind is likely to fuel speculation he has become the latest disciple of Khoder Nasser and Anthony Mundine, the controversial pair who orchestrated Williams's walkout on the NRL. Asked about his relationship with Mundine yesterday, Inglis would only say: "People in the media should check their facts."

However, it is widely known that Inglis, who is currently managed by Allan Gainey, enjoys a close relationship with Mundine.

Williams dumped his long-term manager Gavin Orr earlier this year to link with the Nasser-Mundine camp.

Shortly afterwards he began having problems with the Bulldogs, culminating in his decision to walk out on the club last month to join French union club Toulon.

The matter is currently before the NSW Supreme Court and as well as pursuing Williams, the Bulldogs are also taking action against Nasser for encouraging the New Zealand international to breach his contract.

Storm officials are aware of Inglis's friendship with Mundine but have been dealing with Gainey and are not aware of any change of management.

Inglis, nominated for a national Indigenous Deadly Award in the NRL category for the second consecutive year, opened talks with the Storm over a contract extension recently but has since put negotiations on hold until the end of the finals series.

"I don't want to be a hypocrite," Inglis said. "But I would probably like to take back what I said (on rugby union).

"My future is still up in the air. I could stay, I could not. I've put them (contract talks) off until the end of the year. You never know.

"I could sign up tomorrow, I could sign up next year. I could be with the Storm, I could not be.

"I could stay in league, I could go. At the end of the day it's a business and you have to do the right thing for your future and what's best for you."

While Inglis was evasive over his plans beyond 2010, his comments about rugby union are sure to prick the ears of officials in that code. Inglis, who played rugby union at school, has been identified as one of the few NRL players capable of making a seamless switch of sports.

Officials linked with French rugby union, the destination for both Williams and Gasnier, have suggested Inglis could command top dollar in Europe where clubs do not have the spending limits imposed by the NRL.

Inglis's change of heart over rugby union could also have something to do with his frustration with the negative talk surrounding the NRL. Since Williams fled the NRL last month, it seems everyone has offered an opinion on the game's future. The vast majority of those have opined the demise of rugby league.

Inglis has had enough.

"Everyone has an opinion," Inglis said. "That's the political side of football. Everyone is talking. Everyone has their opinion on the game at the moment.

"My advice is not to worry about it, just get back to supporting your club and the players.

"No one is sitting around and talking about rugby league itself. I grew up watching the game. I would watch my old man plan and then run home to watch the 4 o'clock game."

Asked whether it was affecting the players, Inglis replied: "It probably disappoints players. People around the players are talking about it. Their friends are talking about it."

Inglis's comments over the state of the game also reflect a growing assurance and maturity in the 21-year-old.

"I don't think I have become more of a leader," he said.

"But I sit back and see what's going on in rugby league today and I think if you have an opinion, express it, if you don't, be quiet."

His nomination for another Deadly Award - the other candidates are Greg Bird, Scott Prince, Sam Thaiday - is a reward for his increased standing in the indigenous community as well as his outstanding form for the Storm, Maroons and Kangaroos.

He also continues to work as an ambassador the Unity Foundation - a body founded in part by former AFL player Xavier Clarke through which indigenous athletes help mentor young children.

"I'm older now and more mature," Inglis said. "As a role model I talk to them about the consequences of what they do.

"The big thing I tell the kids is to be comfortable with yourself and learn from your mistakes."
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

How things change in a week.... Opps ..... Day. :roll:
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the concerning part is the Khoder Nasser link... hope that proves wrong otherwise who knows what will happen!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

...well if he doesnt walk out on his contract, then there is no problem. if he leaves after his contract is up...then so be it.

Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm in a teacup (no pun intended) at this stage,

Just saying his options are open ,cant really blame him for that,

But he is the type of player that union would love to have, in fact I would say he is probably the number 1 player you would like to sign,  if you were a union coach looking at league talent,

Imagine him in all that open space they have. 
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Choc is a great role model because he's outspoken, he has balls...  Greg Inglis
I consider that the most cringe worthy quote I've ever read  ](*,)
Outspoken - Can't argue with that,but my mind goes back to a day in 2000 at the G and the echo of 20,000 + people confirming just what he was.
Role model  ??? Only if you aspire to be a self obsessed ego maniac who can't even have his own opinions but must copy them from another culture  :roll:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

mundine has only done one good thing in his life.....

99 GF, knock on>over try line.  :D :D :D

cougar
Squall
Squall

I can think of three other good things Mundane has done:

1) Inspired Storm to a 70-20 flogging of the Dragons after he claimed Storm didn't really win the flag the year before

2) Did an awesome starfish impersonation against the German boxer who couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag (Mundane's words - not mine)

3) Left Rugby League

But the knock on was definitely the best :)
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

cougar wrote: I can think of three other good things Mundane has done:

1) Inspired Storm to a 70-20 flogging of the Dragons after he claimed Storm didn't really win the flag the year before...
70-10 actually... ;)