Greg Inglis to Wigan 2009?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
AlexWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

A couple of rumours circulating here in Wigan that Inglis is tempted by an offer from Wigan to replace the departing Trent Barrett in 2009.

Apparently, the plan is for Greg to get the opportunity to play 5/8th regulary for a couple of seasons, before returning back to Australia as a recognised, out & out stand off and hopefully make the Kangaroos selectors take note.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

uhuh... makes sense - leave Bellamy's coaching to go to the UK to become a better 5/8... right.  He's already getting selected for Australia, and he's already a starting 5/8 in the toughest comp in the world... If he goes to SL, it won't be for his career, it'll be for money, that's it.  Nice rumor... :roll:
AlexWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Money would be a temptation as he'd presumably on the same coin that Barrett was on.

I'm sure you'll hear more to this, or at least that Wigan have been in touch with Inglis' agent, but I wouldn't rubbish it especially after Matt King's move.

(Though if it's true, let's hope Inglis makes more of an impact in Super League that King has...He's been shocking)
Last edited by AlexWigan on Fri May 30, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

AlexWigan wrote:
I'm sure you'll hear more to this, or at least that Wigan have been in touch with Inglis' agent, but I wouldn't rubbish it especially after Matt King's move.
Yes but there's one major sticking point that you either just forgot or conveniently left out. Matt King was off contract when he went over to the UK and Inglis has 2 years after this one to run on his contract. That being said the only way he can play over there is if the Storm release him which aint gonna hapen i'm sorry. But you can keep dreaming, they won't cost you nothing  ;-)
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

That has more chance of him beening sign up than Wigan re-building Central Park.
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is this post a gee-up?
Someone's had a few too many at the pub and started shooting off.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

And here I thought he was headed to the Gold Coast (the talk just a few weeks back).  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

I'd say it is a GeeUp and Insomniac answered it nicely.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Alex Alex Alex - How are you going to fit both G.I. & Tim Smith under the salary cap  :twisted:
Seriously mate - You would need a HUGE carrot to get him over to SL & I doubt he'd enjoy Nobby's coaching style,so it wouldn't be at Wigan.

And AAS..................It's not nice to bring up CP when talking to people with cherry n white bloodsteams  :P
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
AlexWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

As I say, just a rumour. Though if there's any element of truth that I believe, it would be that Ian Lenagan will have approached his agent, that's all. As far as contracts go, well they aren't worth the paper they're written on as the Barrett and Crocker departures have shown recently.

....And don't bring Central Park into this.  :icon_frown:
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Comparing Barrett to Crocker  [-X

Barrett is a cut n run merchant - Crock is going where he thinks his aging body will get the least damage next year ;-)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

AlexWigan wrote: As far as contracts go, well they aren't worth the paper they're written on as the Barrett and Crocker departures have shown recently.

The difference being, and it's a massive one is Barrett and Crocker is that their respective clubs will be releasing them from their contracts a year earlier and that's why they're allowed to go. You can't just walk out and play somewhere else because you feel like it without the go ahead from your club.  As i stated in my previous post,  the only way Inglis can play over there is if the Storm release him and it aint gonna happen.

I can't believe that you actually think there's a chance it'll happen  :lol:
AlexWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I'm sure you all thought the Matt King move would never happen either, but it is.

I know Inglis is contracted but nothing would suprise me in this game, especially when you have NRL players tempted by cash from English clubs and NRL clubs who have salary caps to try and stay under.

If I believe something, it is that we have approached Inglis and Melbourne but I agree it's unlikely.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

inglis isnt that sort of bloke. He still has heaps to contribute to the storm and league here in australia....doesnt need to go to that crud hole of england.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
AlexWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Money talks mate. He could make a fortune in England for just two seasons, before going back to Australia still in his early twenties yet financially much better off.

With Matt King possibly on his way back to Melborune, it might just add more fuel to the rumour.  :)