Storm more than just game day?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
wenjo
Squall
Squall

I was listening to the game on  2gb, on-line last night, they were talking about Souths lack of interest in the game.

Gosford was a Souths home game and they had done nothing to promote the game all the did was jump on the bus, drive about 90 mins and play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STORM on the other hand had been out to school, running clinics and promoting the game in the Gosford area.
We are from another state and ye we have time to promote the game, make me even prouder to be a diehard storm supporter.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

With all the doom and gloom about the survival of Sydney based clubs this week, maybe it's time for them to get a reality check. If a club that appears to be the black sheep of the NRL family can stand up for the game and the fans then maybe some of these golden boy teams  need to wake up and smell the roses or look after the fans, promote the game,  relocate or die.

wenjo
Last edited by wenjo on Sun May 25, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well said Wenjo.

All part of growing our supporter base (not only in Victoria) and proving we are the number 1 team in the comp.
Its all fun and games til someone gets kicked in the head...
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

While I agree with all that you wrote...... CC Is the Storm second home and they are trying to gather as much support from the area that they can.

I wish there was more promotion in the Melbourne greater areas. This is where they need to really be excelling.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

Part of the problem with Melbourne and Victoria in general is that there aren't alot of people who even rate league as a form of football,let alone want to come to a game and support the team.

The ones that do acknowledge it don't seem to understand enough about the game,the way it runs,the rules,etc to want to come to a game,or even watch it on TV be it on Nine or Foxtel.Take my Dad for example,knows the difference between a try and a conversion,but wouldn't come to a game even if I brought him a ticket,because he doesn't understand the game.

Yes,part of this is ignorance,but part of it is also a lack of education for lack of a better word coming from the club and the NRL also.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Again I agree except for the education part.

Rugby League isn't that hard a game to understand..

What it lacks is pretigue and standing as a game of importance. (not well put but I think you can get the gist).

An immigrant to Victoria is likely to follow an AFL team to some degree due to it's saturation coverage.

Even ardent Sports fans in Victoria won't follow the Rl product like they do the Soccer one due to the minority spots complex.

What the Storm can do about it god knows.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'll agree with the soccer bit.Nearly every 2nd guy at work seems to be a Victory fan or member.Then I get odd looks when I wear my Storm scarfe.I feel like saying,hey,I'm not the one following an odd sport here!(I can't stand soccer)

Disagree about understanding league,I've been to a few games,watched alot,and I still struggle with why some decisions are made and about penalitys,etc.I guess that can be contributed partly to the inconsistancy of umpiring and different umpires making different interpretations,like in any sport.

I have noticed this year the Storm seem to be putting more effort into advertising in the media.I've seen one ad from memory with Billy Slater on it,advertising upcoming games at The Graveyard,then in the paper a couple of days before the game in question,an ad with something like for example the V Knights game,it said something like "Nighty night,Knights" that sticks in your head and is eye catching.It's clever and a great way to get the non converted initially interested.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

CrazyAboutCooper wrote: Disagree about understanding league,I've been to a few games,watched alot,and I still struggle with why some decisions are made and about penalitys,etc.I guess that can be contributed partly to the inconsistancy of umpiring and different umpires making different interpretations,like in any sport.
LOL even commentators that played and watched the game for many years struggle with why a penalty is awarded or not at times.

Tell me that anyone knows why most AFL frees are given or not. :lol:
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mike_The_Undertaker wrote:
CrazyAboutCooper wrote: Disagree about understanding league,I've been to a few games,watched alot,and I still struggle with why some decisions are made and about penalitys,etc.I guess that can be contributed partly to the inconsistancy of umpiring and different umpires making different interpretations,like in any sport.
LOL even commentators that played and watched the game for many years struggle with why a penalty is awarded or not at times.

Tell me that anyone knows why most AFL frees are given or not. :lol:
I can usually see why frees are given in the AFL.But having said that,there are plenty that are questionable!
stormy bill
Squall
Squall

I suggest you get yourself a set of sports ears and listen to the ref explain the penalty's. I know most refs know nothing! but it helps to understand what is going on.
What we do today will echo in eternity
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Some interesting points of view here.
I am an avid AFL follower. I am also an avid 'soccer' follower. And it goes without saying that I am also an avid rugby league follower.
I think the best way to tackle the promotion of the game here in Victoria is to try and get some of the disillusioned AFL fans to get to a game or two of rugby league.
That's how I was converted. I went to an AFL game on the Saturday afternoon and strolled across to Olympic Park straight after it for a 5.30pm kick-off just to see what it was like and got hooked.
I got hooked on the intimate atmosphere of a small stadium and the fact that 99% of the crowd were all as one and barracking for the same team.
I have become disillusioned with AFL in the past two or three years and now it's gotten to the stage where, if I am at home on a Saturday night, would much prefer to watch, say, Roosters vs Cowboys than watch any AFL game that doesn't feature my side.
I became attracted the 'physicality' of rugby league, something that has gone amiss in AFL as teams become obsessed with denying the toher team possession of the ball.
Rugby league will never take over AFL and will never even get close. NRL and Storm officials, just need to capture some of the market share. A bit like Virgin Blue airlines. They realised they would never be able to overtake Qantas, and instead, tried on capturing a share of the marketplace.
Just my two cents.
2012 premiers. Legit.
VIC
Squall
Squall

The problem with Melbournians is that they are obssessed with AFL - and nothing else. And their lies the problem! And to make matters worse, the main form of communication, those morons on Channel 9, don't exactly help the rugby league cause either!

The only reason why soccer has had more of an impact in Melbourne is because 1) Victory has had a decent run and 2) they are the only football code being played in summer - therefore they get all the attention.

Living in Sydney now, and being a Storm supporter, I am pleasantly surprised when I do go to Melbourne the number of people I see around the CBD with Melbourne Storm supporters gear. And that is an excellent sign! Crowds will continue to grow in Melbourne, but that will involve the continued on-field success coupled with a much needed decent rectangular stadium. T
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

VIC wrote: The problem with Melbournians is that they are obssessed with AFL - and nothing else. And their lies the problem! And to make matters worse, the main form of communication, those morons on Channel 9, don't exactly help the rugby league cause either!

The only reason why soccer has had more of an impact in Melbourne is because 1) Victory has had a decent run and 2) they are the only football code being played in summer - therefore they get all the attention.

Living in Sydney now, and being a Storm supporter, I am pleasantly surprised when I do go to Melbourne the number of people I see around the CBD with Melbourne Storm supporters gear. And that is an excellent sign! Crowds will continue to grow in Melbourne, but that will involve the continued on-field success coupled with a much needed decent rectangular stadium. T
Most of the Dead Wood has left Channel 9, The direction of the not Showing the Rugby league at a decent hour was at hands who is now the Collingwood CEO and President. It is just sad that the programming manager is one that is left.

Did Channel 9 give out the rating on State of Origin even thou is was a rattings sucess for Channel 9? No, Channel 9 has never kept up with the bargain of the Media Deal and never has David Gallop and hes cronies.

I argee with you vic, I see West tigers and Storm Stuff in my town i live in and about 3 years ago, I was lucky to see one bit of storm stuff, once a year.

Sadly, The Melbourne Storm Marketting missed out on a Gold Mine out in the South Eastern Suburbs after Waverly closed. So many fed up saints and hawkers supporters not wanting Waverly closed.

Oh well
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
VIC
Squall
Squall

AAS,

to my knowledge State Of Origin was a huge ratings success. Since the introduction of the new ratings system introduced back in 2001, it recorded the highest ratings ever.

My understanding, it was the biggest ratings that Origin has ever had right across Australia with almost 2.5 million people watching the game. It attracted something like 900,000 viewers in Sydney, 700,000 viewres in Brisbane and just over 350,000 viewers in Melbourne. It's a fact that Rugby League is the biggest rating sport in this country......It makes you wonder why the NRL got so badly screwed over when negotiating the TV deal with Channel 9. The fact that the SOO attracted 350,000+ viewers in Melbourne, also makes you wonder why those morons at Channel 9 don't screen Storm games into Melbourne. Let's use common sense, if 350k Melbournians watch a game that is between two states that doesn't involve their own, wouldn't the Storm fetch at least the same number????
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

AAS wrote:
VIC wrote: The problem with Melbournians is that they are obssessed with AFL - and nothing else. And their lies the problem! And to make matters worse, the main form of communication, those morons on Channel 9, don't exactly help the rugby league cause either!

Most of the Dead Wood has left Channel 9, The direction of the not Showing the Rugby league at a decent hour was at hands who is now the Collingwood CEO and President. It is just sad that the programming manager is one that is left.

Did Channel 9 give out the rating on State of Origin even thou is was a rattings sucess for Channel 9? No, Channel 9 has never kept up with the bargain of the Media Deal and never has David Gallop and hes cronies.

I argee with you vic, I see West tigers and Storm Stuff in my town i live in and about 3 years ago, I was lucky to see one bit of storm stuff, once a year.

Sadly, The Melbourne Storm Marketting missed out on a Gold Mine out in the South Eastern Suburbs after Waverly closed. So many fed up saints and hawkers supporters not wanting Waverly closed.

Oh well
Some good points, but just to clarify - are you suggesting the club should have tried to move to Waverly?  That would have been a disaster
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

steaming stormer wrote:
AAS wrote:

Oh well
Some good points, but just to clarify - are you suggesting the club should have tried to move to Waverly?  That would have been a disaster
With apologies to AAS for my butting in and answering for him, but SS I don't think that's what AAS meant.  I think he was referring to the marketing side of things wherein had Storm made their presence felt in the South Eastern Suburbs with say membership tents at local shopping centres and players getting out to schools (and whatever else may have worked), then disgruntled Saints and Hawks supporters might have been ripe for the picking to jump on board the Storm bandwagon.

Very good point AAS.  Although you just never can tell with AFL supporters - some are very one-eyed  and not really open to something different :lol: