60 MINUTES Story featuring Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Main points raised, AFL is moving in on RL's heartland, and RL better watch out.

They are pinching kids in increasing numbers, and their single mums.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

More or less exactly what is in the today's Telegraph about Leagues future danger. Both from the AFL looking at the Western area of Sydney and the dangers to our game.

Good puff piece for the AFL.

Although interesting to see they didn't use Billy turning and saying he liking our game and was surprised by the lack of vision for it up in Sydney.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was pretty disgraceful. Could rant about it, but i think everyone knows how shite commercial news reporting is.
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was less than impressed with it.It was so pro AFL,and yet,Nine have the NRL rights!Was almost like biting the hand that feeds you.
Its all fun and games til someone gets kicked in the head...
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

As an exercise in showing the difference between the attitudes of the people running both codes it was a HUGE success.

AFL - Demetriou & Co - Putting bucket loads of money & time into the hard sell - Aggressively active at moving into enemy heartland - Targetting juniors & their parents,(MUMS) - Pushing the code as THE Aussie game - Looking to not only expand nationally but internationally,(unlikely but they are LOOKING).

NRL - Gallop & Co - Fighting to maintain Sydney strongholds - Passive support for work OTHERS are doing in AFL territory - Blamed the Super league war for the current fiasco - No plan for the future expansion  of the code - No vision.

I have never been to an AFL game or actively supported an AFL team but on the strength of that bit of TV Rugby League as an effective force is going to DIE under the Gallop plan  :evil:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
VIC
Squall
Squall

The story was a load of shit!

It was just a typical POOR piece of sensationalist reporting by 60 minutes. I live in Sydney and I see no evidence of AFL taking over at all!

The Swans play at the SCG every fortnight, and they attract a crowd of just over 20,000 people. And that is for a team that has been in the AFL for over 25 years, has won one premiership, AND is constantly advertising in The Daily Telegraph ticket sales for 3 matches at $30!!!!! YES - you heard right.......$30 for 3 Swan home games at the SCG. 60 minutes failed to mention that!

The story was one-sided and made out that AFL was taking over and that the NRL has achieved f&ck all in it's existence!

Let me tell you - the Swans are struggling in Sydney.....and the only reason that they are surviving is because of AFL handouts and because of selling tickets to 3 home games for only a measly $30!

The reality is that the NRL as a product isn't struggling in Sydney. Crowds are up, rating are up......everything is up. What the problem is is that games are being played out of Homebush - which has an 80,000 seat capacity.......Put struggling teams playing there like St George, and Canterbury.......and the best they can attract is a crowd of 15,000 people.........so yes it appears that there is no one watching the game. The only thing hurting Sydney clubs at the moment is the stupid State government's poker machine tax...........and why shouldn't NRL clubs be entitled to poker machine revenue??????? Without the NRL clubs, these leagues clubs wouldn't exist!

And finally, Sydneysiders HATE Homebush. Public transport to the ground is crap, unlike the MCG and Telstra Dome, Homebush is in the middle of the sticks........it's inaccesible to get to, and the fact that's in the sticks.....there is nowhere to go or do before and/or after an NRL game!

AND FINALLY, the reality remains Sydneysiders as a general rule are not sport fanatics like Melbournians.......you will never get the passion coming out of Sydneysiders for any sport........so the AFL are sadly mistaking with their 2nd team in Sydney.........but f&ck them!
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

Did anyone notice also it was only ONE afl club in ONE suburb they spoke about?And they only interviewed 2 of the Mum's there?
VIC
Squall
Squall

Did anyone notice also it was only ONE afl club in ONE suburb they spoke about?And they only interviewed 2 of the Mum's there?

Well that's 60 minutes for you......one sided sensationalist journalism!! No wonder that station is in a mess......
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

As Surandy? has in his signature -Channel Nine:Still the bums!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

VIC wrote: The story was a load of shit!

It was just a typical POOR piece of sensationalist reporting by 60 minutes. I live in Sydney and I see no evidence of AFL taking over at all!

The Swans play at the SCG every fortnight, and they attract a crowd of just over 20,000 people. And that is for a team that has been in the AFL for over 25 years, has won one premiership, AND is constantly advertising in The Daily Telegraph ticket sales for 3 matches at $30!!!!! YES - you heard right.......$30 for 3 Swan home games at the SCG. 60 minutes failed to mention that!

Let me tell you - the Swans are struggling in Sydney.....and the only reason that they are surviving is because of AFL handouts and because of selling tickets to 3 home games for only a measly $30!

The reality is that the NRL as a product isn't struggling in Sydney. Crowds are up, rating are up......everything is up. What the problem is is that games are being played out of Homebush - which has an 80,000 seat capacity.......Put struggling teams playing there like St George, and Canterbury.......and the best they can attract is a crowd of 15,000 people.........so yes it appears that there is no one watching the game.

Just a few of things. The Swans are actually averaging over 33K for home matches this season and they announced a profit of $1.5 million last year so if that makes them struggling then i'd hate to think what it makes the majority of RL teams in Sydney who average half those crowd numbers and run at a loss.

You're mocking them for advertising 3 games for $30 but that's a brilliant marketing ploy and one the Sydney NRL clubs should be using to help attract more people. I can tell you now, if Storm are still in the comp for another 15 years to make it 25 years all up and we're attracting 33K people per game, making $1.5 million profit then i'll be rapt and consider that a massive success.

It's one thing for the crowds to be up, ratings being up and everything else being up but the pokies taxes are also up well which is the big killer. It's all well and good that everything else is increasing, but it's those pokies hikes that is slowly strangling the clubs regardless of any increases elsewhere. The crowds may be up (which is a great positive) but say each team is up by 1000, that won't be anywhere near enough to cover what they've lost in funding from the tax rises. The TV ratings might be up also but that's just making channel 9 richer, not the clubs.

On the surface it might look like everything's sweet because of the crowds/rating etc but as long as people think that and have the apathetic attitude that most Sydneysiders have  towards their clubs and the "She'll be right" attitude, the longer they do the worse off their clubs will be and could very well find themselves without a club to follow.

Some people seem to think their club will be around forever and this is all scare tactics by the NRL/clubs to generate more interest in the game, but the game has never faced such serious opposition in the form of drastically reduced leagues clubs grants, the AFL, Union and to a lesser extent soccer. As well as just competing for people's hard earned against things like petrol prices and interest rate rises. Add all those things up and the challenges and competion the NRL is facing right now is very real.

I'm sure some people might disagree with certain things i say here and that's fine. But if they honestly think that the game has never been stronger and think that Sydney clubs have never been in a more vulnerable position then they're just flat out deluding themselves. I want EVERY Sydney club to survive if that's possible which i think it is, but if the clubs and fans of those clubs continue to sit on their arses instead of taking proactive steps to get them back into the black then the reality is that not all Sydney clubs will survive and that's a fact. Then they'll march and carry on when they do get the boot but they'll have nobody but themselves to blame for not doing something about it when they had the chance.

Rant over.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

didnt even get around to watching it...but thankfully i didnt, i cant stand afl...and would have switched it over.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
VIC
Squall
Squall

Ice, thanks for your insightful comments. In relation to some points you made please note the following:-

1. You are right the Swans are averaging 32k per round this year. But this figure is distorting as you need to consider the full year, as there was 1 token match here played at Homebush that is inflating the 2008 average. If you look at the 2007 FY average, the story is somewhat different.

2. I was not mocking the Swans for advertising 3 games for $30 - the point that I am making here is that the perceived success of the Swans is coming at a price, and that is very reduced ticket prices. To measure the Swans' true success, you need to compare apples with apples, and currently their crowd numbers may be growing, but this does not necessarily mean that the bottom line profit or success of the club is growing either. You have quoted the Swans as making a profit of $1.5 million, I have read otherwise. In their existence, clus such as the Swans have always needed continual AFL assistance at the detriment of Melbourne AFL clubs.

It's just like some morons suggest that just because the average home crowd for a rugby league in Sydney is only around 16k, the Swans are doing better tha the NRL. How?

Firstly, with 9 NRL teams in Sydney, there can be up to 5 NRL games played in Sydney on a weekend. Working with an average crowd of 16,000 a game, this comes to a total NRL crowd attendance of up to 80,000. In a fortnight, the Swans can get somewhere in the 20,000+. So instanteously, we can see the stength of the NRL over the Swans.

And let's not forget, the NRL doesn't offer the heavily discounted tickets like the Swans do nor do the Swans have their games televised LIVE on FTA TV. FYI, there can be 1-2 NSW games televised live on FTA TV in Sydney. On top of this, Sydneysiders HATE ANZ stadium with a passion. It's located out in the sticks, and public transport is a major issue. I don't know why they are not using SFS which 1) a rectangular field and 2) is located only a stone throw from the city and is more accessible by public transport.

3. TV ratings are up - yes, and unfortunately, it is making Channel 9 richer. However, this is an excellent sign for the NRL because in the next contract renewal, the NRL has more negotiating power, and therefore can command more $$$$.

4. The 40% poker machine taxes are an unfortunate situation which has been a stupid decision imposed by a State government that has lost it's sense of direction. Hopefully, this will change in the near future....but the reality is, NRL clubs are entitled to these grants because without the NRL clubs, their leagues clubs would have ceased to exist which would have had many negative implications for the community at large.

Until this changes, I guess NRL clubs just need o start working harder in attracting sponsorship, marketing their brand etc etc.

In conclusion, I do concede that there are issues amongst NRL clubs in Sydney - but I am also aware that Melbourne AFL clubs face similar problems. Sydney is not like Melbourne. The Sydney sport market is more competitive as there are more sporting codes on offer. The Melbourne sporting market is more one dimensional. And on top of this Sydney siders don't have the same passion for sport as those Melbournians. Never will Sydney have the regular large crowds that Melbourne AFL clubs do - in any code. That's just the reality - they are 2 different cultures. What remains more than evident, but this is not something new, is that there are way too many NRL clubs in Sydney.  Sydney with a population of just over 4 million has 9 NRL teams, whilst Brisbane with a population of 2 million only has the one. Immediately, we can see that there is a problem!

I have read Waldron's comments, and I agree with some of them. My view is relocate one team to Perth (and they have a thriving local rugby league comp), another to the Central Coast, and one to the Western Brisbane area. And when Adelaide is ready, have a team their too. This would eventually see Sydney NRL teams reduce down to 5 or 6.
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

VIC wrote:On top of this, Sydneysiders HATE ANZ stadium with a passion. It's located out in the sticks, and public transport is a major issue. I don't know why they are not using SFS which 1) a rectangular field and 2) is located only a stone throw from the city and is more accessible by public transport.
The Bunnies in particular looked at moving from Sydney Olympic Park to SFS.  SFS is a lot closer to their notional support base, it's smaller and more cosy, and unlike SOP, it's rectangular. 

Their members weren't interested in leaving SOP, because the beer is more expensive at SFS.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I think the biggest concern here for the NRL is the potential buyout of ANZ (Stadium Australia) by the AFL. Suits them perfectly, but now the biggest game of the Rugby League calendar (the Grand Final) is now possibly being staged in a venue owned by the opposition code.

There are many things the AFL does better than NRL. There are some the NRL does that betters the AFL (Toyota Cup in particular). But League has much more to fear. They will lose clubs in Sydney - purely because they don't have the FTA rights that AFL does to prop up those clubs. This is clear enough in that the AFL is prepared to LOSE $65million plus over 5 years just to get a presence on the Gold Coast!

The reality probably will be that the NRL needs to make changes. For instance - 5 local Rugby League games in Sydney might achieve a total round patronage of 80,000. The same number of games in Melbourne can often be 300,000 to 400,000. This is the underachievement of Rubgy League today.

Just some stats on Sydney's average crowds over the last few years:
2008: 33,230 (H) 28,690 (A)
2007: 35,632 (H) 34,614 (A)
2006: 34,260 (H) 32,138 (A)
2005: 32,346 (H) 32,722 (A)
2004: 31,646 (H) 29,522 (A)

Hardly the sign of a struggling club.

In comparison, the NRL average crowd figure is 17,066 for 2008. Take out the non-Sydney teams and.... the average just dropped to 14,958. The stark reality is that without the QLD clubs (Brisbane: 35,861, Gold Coast: 23,095, Nth QLD: 20,312) the crowd figures for the NRL plain old suck. Only three clubs that average over 20,000. You cannot compare that against an AFL club that has been there only 25 years and averages 32K at home. Even with give-aways or specials - the people still are turning up to watch them.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mrpc wrote:The Bunnies in particular looked at moving from Sydney Olympic Park to SFS.  SFS is a lot closer to their notional support base, it's smaller and more cosy, and unlike SOP, it's rectangular. 

Their members weren't interested in leaving SOP, because the beer is more expensive at SFS.
That's hilarious!! :lol: