60 MINUTES Story featuring Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
VIC
Squall
Squall

Agree with most of your points Showe em Howe.....I still do believe that given that if a game is being televised LIVE on television, people will think twice about going to the game. You may be a big fan but in tight economic conditions, you need to prioritise where your money goes and that's food on the table and your mortgage....over watching a game of footy! This being the case more than ever with increased interest rates and higher cost of fuel etc....
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

VIC wrote:

And you didn't answer my question - how do you know that Swans don't give out free tickets to their game? Are you employed by the Swans?
I don't know for sure, but until someone tells me otherwise i'll assume they don't give out free tickets. Why would they need to given they get such excellent crowds in the first place? Not to mention the fact they had 32,500 members last year so you don't need to be Einstein to work out that there'd hardly be a shitload of freebies handed out given there wouldn't be that many seats for sale that went to non members.
VIC wrote:maybe that answers your question!

No it doesn't actually, well not the last one i asked anyway. My question was If there's so many more distractions in Sydney then why are people sitting at home getting massive tv ratings watching the footy and not going to all these other distractions you claim are are affecting crowd numbers? You only answered why they choose to watch their team on the tv as opposed to going to the game.
VIC
Squall
Squall

Common sense - the excellent crowds are the 3 for $30, and the freebies!
VIC
Squall
Squall

There are more distractions in Sydney....the population of Sydney is 4.2 million + another 1 million people in surrounding areas (ie. Newcastle, Blue Mountains, and Wollongong)....that equals 5 million people.....so they go to all these distractions....and not to mention that Sydney is Australia's only international city.

What's the population of Melbourne? Circa 3.5 million + a couple hundred thoudand in surrounding areas? ie. Ballarat and Geelong? Whhoowhooo - what a metroplis?
erpel9999
Squall
Squall

Why are so many people going to football in Victoria, if you expand your theory it is because there is nothing else to do in victoria.

Just accept that there are differences between people from sydney and melbourne.
If the crowds at league had been at afl levels and dropped to where they are now, then there would be concern. but it never has been at those levels and probably never will be.
the nrl crowds have only improved over the last decade.

and to put vics analogy into victorian
imagine you live in werribee and support your local werribee team. they are playing at 7:30 on friday night at pakenham but are also live on tv
would you leave work early to drive across town in peak hour traffic? or just go home and relax watching on tv?

do not underestimate the effect of the mcg and the dome both being within 3 minutes walk of major train stations, accessible by just about every line.
how big is my weekend going to be? again....
[url=http://userbars.org][img]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4459/stormfanbf6.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6094/751172770404iy8.png[/img][/url]
VIC
Squall
Squall

Thankyou Erpel 9999 - you're absolutely spot on!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

VIC wrote:Common sense - the excellent crowds are the 3 for $30, and the freebies!
Well given they have over 32,000 members and people are still paying to get in the ground regardless of if they're cheaper tickets or not, it wouldn't leave much room at all for free tickets now would it?  ;-)

VIC wrote: There are more distractions in Sydney....the population of Sydney is 4.2 million + another 1 million people in surrounding areas (ie. Newcastle, Blue Mountains, and Wollongong)....that equals 5 million people.....so they go to all these distractions....and not to mention that Sydney is Australia's only international city.

What's the population of Melbourne? Circa 3.5 million + a couple hundred thoudand in surrounding areas? ie. Ballarat and Geelong? Whhoowhooo - what a metroplis?

Why in the hell would you add the surrounding areas when they have absolutley sweet FA to do with the shit Sydney crowds which is the whole argument? Is it to add some credibility to your argument which is otherwise lacking very much of it?

We're talking about the crowds in Sydney and Melbourne city so it's pretty bloody obvious and makes sense you'd only count the residents of each city. It's irrelevant what they get in Newcastle, Geelong etc because they aren't even a part of the capitals and are their own independent cities. Why don't you just add Canberra to your list as well  :lol: 

Though if you look at them independently which is exactly what they are, then you'll find that even those 2 cities football crowds make Sydney's footy crowds (NRL) look like park football! And that's even with millions of people less! lol

But anyway you've made it pretty clear and shown me you have nothing so i'll leave someone else to reply to your insightful posts. Thanks for the debate though.
VIC
Squall
Squall

You're an idiot!

And as for the 32,000 members are they there for free too? Does that include the South Melbourne supporters from Melbourne too? And why is the AFL giving out handouts to the Swans?

You've not listened to anything that I've put down, hence the reason for the dumb arguments!

I've tried to list reasons for the differences in crowds, and you've just come back with utter shit!

So rack off and go and play ping pong.......

I've been living and working in Sydney for the last 10 years....and all you can come back to are Swans crowds. (which you are ignoring the fact of the 3 for $30 deal). At work, we only have NRL tipping comps, the only talk on a Monday at work is about NRL (Never does any one talk AFL)...open up our newspapers here in Sydney....you'll be lucky to get a page on AFL on a Saturday.....
Show em Howe
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Ice you probably make a few points about the free tickets - i have been offered free tickets in Sydney in the past. The Swans built up a supporter base through freebies, its common knowledge. However i would doubt the NRL clubs are handing loads of them out, otherwise if they are guaranteed $100K for a game at ANZ, wouldn't they get people in there for free? They are getting the cash anyway so it wouldnt matter if they sold tickets or not. Selling 6000 tickets wouldn't even pay the power bill.

As for the Swans membership figure, its reasonable. They are the only team in town, have been there for nearly 30 years and have had more marketing and exposure than any other team in Australia. You must also remember they have a strong base of Melbourne members from the old South Melbourne ties.
VIC
Squall
Squall

"You must also remember they have a strong base of Melbourne members from the old South Melbourne ties".

And it proves my point again!
erpel9999
Squall
Squall

ice, theres no-one here that isn't envious of afl crowds and wishes league was the same, but really there are other forums where you can join in the afl circle jerk over league crowds.

you say league crowds look like park football, and they do when compared to afl, but the averages are still high enough to be in the top 20 average audiences worldwide, and are bigger than many world renowned comps. (wiki)
how big is my weekend going to be? again....
[url=http://userbars.org][img]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4459/stormfanbf6.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6094/751172770404iy8.png[/img][/url]
VIC
Squall
Squall

Right on Erpel9999!

Irrespective of all the news regarding turmoil with poker machine revenues in the papers last week, all NRL indicators are up - crowds, membership, merchandise, TV ratings etc etc.......

As a supporter, what is frustrating with the NRL is that in the last few years (after recovering from the Super League debacle), they've become complacent, and have lacked foresight and vision in terms of EXPANDING the game, and rationalising the number of clubs in Sydney. That's why I have suggested that despite an excellent job in resurrecting the league, David Gallop's use by date may now be up and we now need a new leader to take us into the next era....
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

erpel9999 wrote: ice, theres no-one here that isn't envious of afl crowds and wishes league was the same, but really there are other forums where you can join in the afl circle jerk over league crowds.

you say league crowds look like park football, and they do when compared to afl, but the averages are still high enough to be in the top 20 average audiences worldwide, and are bigger than many world renowned comps. (wiki)

I can go to a lot of forums to talk about a number of things but that doesn't mean they also can't be discussed here, especially given the thread involves both codes so it's not as if it's not on topic.

I love rugby league and i'd love nothing more than for the crowds to lift especially in Sydney because that means a healthier league and much less chance of us losing teams. But when there's clubs on the verge of collapse/merge/relocation i'm not going to sugarcoat it and pretend everything's rosey with the crowds because that's one of the major reasons why these clubs are looking down the barrel now.

People can come up with all sorts of excuses they like, some valid and others just pure fantasy but the facts are that the crowds in Sydney particularly are below par and if they don't improve you can bet your last dollar that we'll lose a team or 2 up there by one or more of those means i mentioned.

I'm just calling it as i see it and obviously that upsets a few people but i'm only being a realist and not living in la la land. People can continue to ignore the problem and pretend everything's just fine but as long as they do that the worse off it'll be for everyone.

I'm just glad cubs are making a concious effort to try rectify the problems, but on the same token that's useless if fans think they aren't fair dinkum and only using scare tactics to get them through the gates with the threat of losing their team. Anyone who thinks their club is as safe as houses and no chance of losing them from the comp is either naive, stupid or just doesn't care enough about their team.

That's my opinion and i'm not asking anyone else to agree with it.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I am sick of this argument between NRL and AFL. There both great games. There are plenty of people who support both. On Saturday night I'll be watching the storm and then flicking over and watchin the Brisbane Lions. I havew a friend who is going to Collingwood v West Coast and the the Storm game

I say lets stop arguing about AFL v NRL and just get on with enjoying both games for what they are

who is with me
VIC
Squall
Squall

I'm not living in la la land by any means. I'm just calling it as I see it! And I'm not going to admit that the Swans are a force in Sydney because that is clearly not the case.

The only reason why we're having this discussion at the moment is because 1) last week was the big announcement that several RL clubs were struggling because of the impact of the poker machine tax and 2) Because of the sensationalist story reported the other night by 60 Minutes.

We can all keep on hoping for the survival of the 9 RL clubs, but that's just not going to happen. This is not just about crowds, but also sponsorship dollars. Up until now, Leagues have been rightly contributing to the NRL clubs, but now the State Government has steppend and it too wants a slice of the pie.

The nine of them cannot survive in what is already a heavily saturated market. It's not only NRL clubs in Sydney that are struggling, so too is the ARU, as well as other sports. That is why relocation is ultimately inevitable!