Under 20's today

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mcglede
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Greetings all,

Weren't too many there for the entire kids game today, but I was impressed with their performance on the whole, though they have a lot to learn as a squad, but that will come through playing together as a unit as the season progresses.

Was mightily impressed with local junior Gareth Widdop (6), who was the star player for the Thunder Bolts, or Thunder Stom, or Storm, or whatever the PA guy wanted to call them at that instant.  Two tries and ran the game well.  His half back, Liam Foran (7) looked out of sorts though.

Plenty of raps on Joseph Tomane (4) from the Warriors game, but I wasn't impressed with his game today.  Was almost too eager at times and tried to force bad passes at wrong times.  One pass came on a fourth tackle when a bit of ball retention and patence was all that was required.  I'm prepared to give him an off game though.  I thought his goalkicking was solid though.

I did like the efforts of the second rowers Aiden Guerra (11) and Lucas Miller (12) with Guerra being the better of the two, while the tenacity of Kevin Proctor (18) off the bench was good, however I think the halves looked to him to carry the ball too often,  which made him an easy target.

Gameplan wise, I'm still trying to figure out what they were trying to do.  It was if they were given a ball and told to go out and play.  Very little structure and the majority of the team was bunched in the centre of the field, meaning it was near impossible to spread the ball wise throughout the game to the centres and wings.

Kick chasing was poor as well.  The Sharks wingers made too many meters in returns.  Like with the main game, Storm failed to cover the outside backs and fringes on a strong basis, and the right side of the defence looks pretty weak.  All three tries came to the final man on the Sharks left attacking side.  With the Warriors having scored down the right side of Melbourne's defence last weekend, this needs to be addressed.

20-20 seemed a fair enough final.  Melbourne shaded the Sharks but never landed the telling blow, though I think a video ref would have seen one Sharks try perhaps disallowed and a late Storm try stand, but those are minor things.  Results here aren't the main thing - its their development for the main team thats what counts.

Enjoyed the game though, and will certainly be trying to get there for the kids game most weeks.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Since the Storm website advised "there was NO PARKING anywhere at Olympic or Melbourne Park ? We went in VERY early,then for lunch at Fed Square & as a consequence missed the start of the under 20's.To go in 20 - 6 at the half it must have been good,(Glad G.W. was firing well again this week).Unfortunately they seemed to fall away in the 2nd half  ???
I guess they still have to learn the twin disciplines.......................
PLAY of 80 minutes
SHOW NO MERCY

Will be there Friday week for the clash with the junior show ponies  ;-)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Good write up mcglede.

As Storm have the 5:30pm Saturday game in Round 3 against the Roosters up there in Sydney this means the Under 20's will get televised on Fox Sports before the main game.
purplestorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I have noticed on the team sheet they have moved Gareth Widdop to fullback and given the captain's job to Aiden Tolman  :? :?. After playing so well in the 1st 2 games it looks a bit harsh, or has it been done for the television putting these guys in such positions because they are players what are high profile juniors :o :o.
mcglede
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It was 14-6 at the break and keep in mind that the Storm had the breeze at their backs in the first half.  The kids will always struggle with windy conditions more than seniors, which was emphasised when after the Sharks had a 60 meter drop out, no Storm player adapted to a second drop out, which ended up rolling into the Sharks in goal at the other end of the field.

I'm surprised at Widdop's move to full back and losing the arm band, however that may be something that is swapped around throughout the season.  We will wait and see on that one.