Storm sign MacDougall

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Here's one a bit out of left field but it certainly won't hurt to have him to add a bit of depth. I actually thought he went alright for us in his first stint.

Storm builds its Mac attack

By Brent Read
    November 14, 2007

PREMIER Melbourne has tempered the loss of Matt King and swelled the number of MacDougalls in the NRL to three by signing former Scottish rugby union international Ben MacDougall to a one-year contract.

MacDougall, 30, the brother of Newcastle pair Adam and Luke, will begin training with the Storm next week, marking his return to the club he left in 2004 to switch codes.

He spent three years in Scotland, playing with Edinburgh and Borders, winning two Test caps and squaring off against Jonah Lomu and Jonny Wilkinson.

Midway through last year MacDougall returned to Australia and went close to signing a short-term contract with the Knights, only for the NRL to intervene on salary cap grounds.

MacDougall was contemplating a return to England to play with Harlequins in Super League but that deal fell through. He was then thrown a lifeline by Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy.

Bellamy was on the look-out for depth in the outside backs following King's decision to join English club Warrington.

"I spoke to Craig when Matt King left," MacDougall said.

"We spoke about the possibility of me returning next year. He got back to me a couple of weeks later and we made an arrangement.

"It's going to be a challenge. The advantage for me is I know the systems."

Not surprisingly, the barbs are already flying among the MacDougall clan. Both Adam and Luke play with Newcastle and the sides meet in round nine.

"The banter has already started," Ben said. "They're both injured at the moment, so I already have a head start."
Last edited by Ice on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lotti

I hope he's not like his brother Adam and likes to stomp on a player's face, I'm really gonna have fun next year.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

obviously been following the storm a while Lotti - Mad Pup played for us before, and I don't seem to recall him stomping heads then, don't know why he would now.
Good signing IMO
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
lotti

SS I don't like Mad Pup for what he did to Toovey him playing in a Storm jersey didn't change that.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was Mad dog Adam who stomped on Toovey's head. Why would that affect or have any bearing whatsoever on how you feel about Ben? Especially since he used to play for us?  ???
lotti

well if he's anything like his brother I might not like him as much.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

*sigh @ lotti and @ the signing*
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
cougar
Squall
Squall

YAY - NOT - WE LET A DEVELOPING TALENT LIKE SHORTLAND GO & GET DEPTH WITH A MACDOUGALL - WHO STARRED FOR US LAST TIME HE WAS HERE & HAS REALLY SET THE WORLD ON FIRE IN UNION...LOOKS LIKE WE'RE ALREADY MISSING O'SULLIVAN
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

not sure about Shortland, didn't really get a chance, and my guess is there is a reason for it.  Pup was very good for us last time in so I for one am happy.
And Lotti, I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I seriously can't remember one constructive post you've made

storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Probably signed for some experience cover for origin - bit like Matt Rua last season, might not play much but will be good in the tough periods to have him around
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's the way I read it rhino

KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lotti wrote: well if he's anything like his brother I might not like him as much.
If your anything like John Hopoate then i might not like you.
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

KimmorleyKiller wrote:
lotti wrote: well if he's anything like his brother I might not like him as much.
If your anything like John Hopoate then i might not like you.
dont lie, you want lotti's finger in your butt.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
lotti

SC quit it I'm sick and tired of all of the jokes you and other people on this forum make at my expense.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yeah its getting a little old
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]