Sky cam

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

What did people think of sky cam?

For me, I thought it sucked. I liked the camera angle but the picture quality was crap and a number of times the ball was out of shot but Channel Nein didn't swap cameras. Also, it was very annoying seeing this sky cam zipping around when watching the game.
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I agree, "skycam" was utter crap. The picture was blurry and unsteady and the colours looked washed out. The wires and camera frequently running through the other shots was way too distracting. I don't know why they wasted 3 days setting it up :roll:
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I am so glad others thought what i did. I wasn't all that impressed with it during the recent AFL games its been used at and when i noticed it last night my first thoughts were "not this crap again." Surandy you said exactly my thoughts on it except i didn't particularly like the camera angles. I don't know if its a case of being used to the good old side view of things or what but i found skycam to be plain annoying. And when we could see it "zipping" around it reminded me of a fly or bug being on the screen. I prefer it not be used in future.
cheriebee
Squall
Squall

Yep agree - I didnt like "skycam" either for the fact that I felt dizzy - thought I was drunk for awhile then..... :drunken:
storm007
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Skycam is crap - get rid of it
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

I actually like the idea of skycam. I hate how they went about it though, it needs a better camera for one, and they need practice operating it. it has the potential to yield awesome shots.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I didn't like it. I thought it was distracting when it was in shot of other cameras. And also when it was being used, you couldn't tell where on the field it was being shot so I thought the players were running the wrong way or there were forward passes ... oh wait maybe that was just me :oops: :?
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Get rid of it. It was extrememly distracting at the ground.
*Champagne football*
cookieduster
Squall
Squall

Crapcam had a lousy picture sort of grayed out... eyeballs feel like they are getting hauled out of your head...great for the hair care studios to make a sponser offer...ditch it.
GORT...Klatu.. Verada..Necto
Carl
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It looked like it was a video game on screen, not an actual game as the angle was more what you would find in a virtual game, not the real thing!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

What's next in their little bag of tricks? Bullet time replays?!?
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

They have something like that in the NFL I think. Where they can sort of freeze play and rotate the camera around to different angles, it looks pretty cool 8)
Nez
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I want the idea to stay, it can be really good, but the way they did it was crap. Firstly, the shots were always from behind the play, which is what other fixed cameras can do. This needed to be directly above or just infront of the play. It can move quicker than the ball and give awesome shots - but only when used by someone who knows what they are doing. It needed to be up at roof level so
1) it was out of view of the normal cameras (something that ticked me off really quickly) but more so
2) it could give the directly above and just infront shots, things it couldn't do because they were too worried the ball would hit the wires or camera if someone put a bomb up.

Plus they need to not use it like a normal camera. It is there for replays, not for live coverage as such. Like the first hitup in SOO II where they tried showing it from some wierd angle.

But i'd like the see it again, just used properly, with a decent lense, and by people who know what they are doing - sadly, channel nein can't do any of those things.. bring in contracted operators from the states or UK and we'd be right..
cookieduster
Squall
Squall

Saw in another post the driver was a Yank :?: and not used to the real speed or angles of RL...maybe if so time will tell.
GORT...Klatu.. Verada..Necto
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

They only use sky cam on replays in the USA... speed has nothing to do with it.. there just using it wrong here. :?