An email I've sent to Parra

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

In reply to Fitzy's dumb comments in the paper a couple of days ago.

It was also sent to the Big League and RLW magazines for good measure ;)
Attention Dennis Fitzgerald,

I am not a Storm fan myself, however I have been going out with one for the past 7 years and I am sick of your constant generalisations about their supporter base!

My boyfriend was born and raised in Geelong, Victoria. His first love was the Cats AFL team but on April 3rd 1998 he went to Olympic Park to see the Storm play in Melbourne for the first time. They won that match and the hearts of many people there that day, my boyfriend included. From then until 2004 he rarely missed a home game and even travelled to Sydney to watch the Storm claim the 1999 premiership.

He no longer lives in Victoria but Sunday will be the 5th time this year he has travelled to Melbourne to watch his beloved Storm play. That is on top of all the away games he has been to.

My boyfriend is not alone in being a Victorian born and bred Storm fan. I personally know of at least 20 other people who have spent their entire lives in Victoria but are as passionate about the Storm as you or I are about our own clubs. If there are more than 20 that I know personally I am sure that there are hundreds more that fit this description who I have never met.

The Storm have now been in existence for ten years and many of their fans who are a similar age to me (early 20's) have grown up with them but there are always new people coming along to games and getting hooked on rugby league. I have heard numerous stories of people accompanying a friend to a Storm game then becoming eager to go back again for the next match. There are also plenty of young children running around on the hill at Olympic Park dreaming of being the next Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith or Israel Folau.

The Storm have experienced continued growth in membership and attendance numbers due mainly to the high standard at which the club is run. Football success is measured in on-field results, not by who has the greatest number of junior clubs, and the Storm has had a fair amount of success arising from brilliant recruiting and development programs. To look at the Storm teams of the past two years you will find a great work ethic and that sort of thing only ever filters down from the top.

They may not have the local juniors just yet but you must remember they have only been around for ten years. They have made significant progress in those ten years and given the club's forward thinking and plans for long-term sustainability and success if we wait for another ten years I am sure we will see some Victorian boys in the NRL.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

I support two teams: The Bulldogs and whoever is playing Parramatta.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brisbane_storm wrote: Why do you care, u don't even barrack for us . . .
Why do you have an avatar of Darren Lockyer?

:P

nice work Christabella.... I myself will be saving my rant/abuse in written form until after the GF if we win it...
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Onya Christa =D> :thumbup:

Denis the Dinosaur (and other fossils similar to his way of thinking) has to remember that its no longer the NSWRL
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Mini Chick
Squall
Squall

Top work Christa  =D> =D>  ;D
Written really well!

And just to add - i'm also Vic born and bred and SO TOTALLY converted to league. Love it and really struggle to watch AFL now, who'd have thunk it?!
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Buzz, Can you do us a favour and ban him.
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Good onya Christa!!!  Well said  :D
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

AAS wrote:

SECONDED!!!  ;D  ;D ;D
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Fantastic work Christa, look forward to reading the replies you get, if any.  ;D
stormin_kes
Squall
Squall

Well written Christa!!!
I'm Queensland born but Victorian and AFL bred. My conversion though is complete...jerseys not jumpers, refs not umpies, steedens not sherrins, into touch not out of bounds.
I am a self confessed Storm tragic who is not looking forward to the NRL free summer months.
Somehow I don't think that Dennis the menace give a toss about what we think though :icon_frown:
It's just a Storm in a tea-cup.
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Russell Coight wrote:
AAS wrote:

SECONDED!!!  ;D  ;D ;D
Motion Carried get rid of him
I am back again.
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Bans don't work - the troll just creates a new username and re-joins.

The only thing that works is the ignore button.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
lotti

Christabella wrote: I support two teams: The Bulldogs and whoever is playing Parramatta.
  Which this week is the Storm and we're gonna knock them out.  Fingers crossed my Ipod strikes again, I've heard Thunderstruck on it 3 times since yesterday and it's mostly been on random the only times it wasn't was when a song from Delta's new single came on.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Great letter Bella.  I hope they get published.