Fitzy sounds off!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

If we win because OP is smaller than other playing surfaces then how does Fitzy explain the roughly 75% win ratio we have away from home over the last two seasons?
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OK Guys, let's get this right, you want to do all these things to my mate Fitzy's testicles, BUT we have a problem Houston, he doesn't have any!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Otherwise, I reckon, battery acid to the nut region for him, would have been a good place to start the slow painful torture we all have in mind for this tool!! :o :o

I know I will have no shortage of volunteers to capture him on Sunday arvo, dress him in a beach volleyball outfit, dump in an oily Otto bin, and set him alight as he sinks into the depths of the  harbour! :D :D :D

The glow from the tool exploding will surely rival any firework display ever seen at Olympic Park!! :D :D :D

As we all sing " We are the Storm from Melbourne town, we'll blow the others off the ground, We are the Storm and we ARE NO:1!!!!!! :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P

I reckon we will all then qualify for the Nobel Peace Prize - the world of Rugby League will stand up and rejoice!! :P :P

BRING IT ON!! :D :D :D

Cheers
Bunnies :D :D :D
Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

We should set up a small volleyball net somewhere and play before the game starts.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm definately up for the chant, but only after we have the game in the bag after the 20 minute mark.  :D
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

ok who is bringing the beach volelyball net? and lets try and find some iceland expats to come down
lotti

not to mention the frozen Eels so we can cook them up.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

How funny is it that Parra supporters and heirarchy are dredging up a game from 6 years ago to try and justify why they think they can win!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sliat_1981
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

He made such a fool of himself last time. It beats me why he wants to do it again. All he's gonna do is loose and look like the dickhead he is.
lotti

Fitzy just keeps on digging a bigger hole for his team.

MELBOURNE was last night accused of "outrageous and shameful behaviour" after secretly attempting to replicate Olympic Park's smaller field dimensions to this weekend's venue, Telstra Dome.

The NRL was last night forced to step in and order Telstra Dome management to mark out a full size field for Sunday's grand final qualifier against Parramatta.
Olympic Park is 6m narrower than all other NRL fields and 2m shorter in its in-goal areas.
On the reduced field, Melbourne has won 30 of their past 31 games.
Melbourne this week sent Telstra Dome officials measurements for field markings on the AFL venue, but asked for the same sized dimensions as Olympic Park - infuriating Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald.
"It's disgraceful, shameful and outrageous behaviour - they have tried to hoodwink the NRL," Fitzgerald said.
"We've played on Olympic Park all year and we anticipated we would play on the same size field at Telstra Dome. It is the same for both teams," Storm CEO Brian Waldron said.
But a fuming Fitzgerald labelled the move selfish.
"As for Parramatta, it's lucky we put pressure on the NRL to check the field measurements," he said.
"Melbourne's attempt to secure an unfair advantage is just selfish.
"The NRL has assured us they will have representatives on the ground when the markings are done this Saturday to ensure everything is 100 per cent.
"They have played 13 games on their mini field this year and then they have the hide to try and get the grand final qualifier on a smaller ground.
"It really is an outrage but I'm not surprised given what has gone on down there in their turbulent 10-year history.
"I have strongly voiced my disapproval over the past decade about the Storm being allowed to use their mini field when all other clubs have home grounds that meet the correct field dimensions."
Waldron said he was happy for the NRL to mark out Telstra Dome to the same measurements Sydney sides use.
"If the NRL determine that they want the ground measurements changed, we won't have a problem.
"Our players are used to playing on a shortened field but as I said, if the NRL want it altered that's okay with us."
Told about Waldron's comments, Fitzgerald said: "Brian is an AFL blow-in. He has only measured AFL fields which are oval-shaped."
Eels coach Michael Hagan admitted Melbourne would have gained an unfair advantage playing on a smaller field.
"Of course they would have," Hagan said. "Their defensive structure, their line speed and their kicking game are their strengths on the smaller ground.
"We would be expecting to play Melbourne on a full-size field."
NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said his organisation would ensure all ground measurements meet the the game's strict standards.
"Regardless of the view anyone at Melbourne may have about this, all matches in final series are NRL controlled events," Annesley said.
"The Olympic Park dimensions are reduced because of the restriction of the running track but no such restrictions apply at Telstra Dome. We will be playing on a full-size pitch.
"Should Melbourne win and progress to the grand final, they will be playing on exactly the same size pitch at Telstra Stadium."
The outspoken Fitzgerald, the game's longest serving CEO, has been a long-time critic of Melbourne, often questioning whether the Victorian club should be retained in the NRL competition.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Disappointing to hear we were trying to arrange a similar ground size to op.Surely we have enough confidence in our team to play on the correct sized dround.
stormgirl
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hey, if they want to give Israel, Greg and Billy an extra 6 metres to run around in, I'm pretty sure they will welcome it :D

On Sunrise this morning they said that even the Parra players are asking Fitzy to shut up :lol:

Maybe Fitzy and Gee can sit together at the game? Oh that's right, Brisbane won't be there... I guess Cullen could buy an Eels jersey to go bag the team out!  :-*
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 06,00.html
Don't fire up Storm, Eels boss warned

VETERAN Parramatta backrower Nathan Hindmarsh has a simple message for his boss Denis Fitzgerald: be quiet.

Hindmarsh's request came after the Parramatta chief executive questioned whether the Storm had a future in Victoria.

With Melbourne and Parramatta meeting in a grand final qualifier at Telstra Dome on Sunday, Hindmarsh was worried that Fitzgerald's commments would steel the Storm and place the Eels under extra pressure.

The Test forward said the Storm deserved respect for what it had achieved since joining the competition in 1998, including a title in 1999, consecutive minor premierships in 2006-07 and a grand final appearance last year.

"Sometimes it would be nice if he (Fitzgerald) just kept a bit quiet because it adds a bit more fire to the belly of the Storm players," Hindmarsh said after a recovery session. "It just gives them more motivation to want to beat us.

"If we're good enough we'll beat them on the day but you don't want to fuel their fire."

Fitzgerald has been a long-time critic of the Storm, once saying trying to sell league in Victoria was akin to trying to promote beach volleyball in Iceland. Storm players yesterday refused to react to the attack, with utility Matt Geyer saying it wasn't worth it.

"I don't want to buy into that," Geyer said. "I think that's what he's hoping for -- he's hoping for a reaction and I think he needs to come up with something new to be honest."

Backrower Ryan Hoffman also agreed.

"He's (Denis) been saying it for it years," Hoffman said.

"But our fans are the most parochial in the NRL and quite a few of them are AFL converts, who absolutely love the game."

Forward Michael Crocker said the Storm had made inroads into sport in Victoria with many of its fans attending both rugby league and AFL matches.

"We've made a great impact especially in the last couple of years and our crowds are starting to show that," Crocker said.

"We get over 12,000 to our games and more if it's a big contest. It's like the Swans. They took a while to get a foothold in Sydney but now they've got a great fan base up there so you can't say a team that's not part of the main football scene in a city doesn't deserve to be there."

While Hindmarsh was talking about the pressure the Eels had been placed under by Fitzgerald, some of his team-mates were trying to put it back on Melbourne.

The Storm has dominated the competition for the past two years and will be desperate to win the title this season after falling short against Brisbane in the 2006 grand final.

Eels fullback Jarryd Hayne agreed anything other than a grand final win for the Storm would be a major disappointment for the favourites.

"They're carrying so much pressure which is probably good for us," Hayne said. "Pressure can get to people sometimes and hopefully it gets to them and we can fly under the radar."

Eels centre Timana Tahu agreed with his team-mate, saying the Storm's position this weekend was similar to the Eels when they were overwhelming favourites against North Queensland in the 2005 preliminary final. In a major shock, the Eels turned in their worst performance of the season and were embarrassingly disposed of by the Cowboys 29-0.

"I think it is a good thing that we do go in as underdogs because there's no pressure on us -- the pressure is on the Storm," Tahu said. "They've been grand final favourites since round one and going down to Melbourne and playing on their turf, there's a big expectation on them."

However, Geyer said the ploy was an old chestnut.

"So what are they saying: they don't want to win?" Geyer said.

"They're the first one to get on the front foot with that one. 'We're the underdog and they've got the pressure'.

"If they don't want to play in the grand final, then there's no pressure on them. But if they want to play in a grand final I'm assuming there's a bit of pressure on them."
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Honestly, i'm disgusted by the club right now. Making the ground smaller when it's unnecessary would just about constitute cheating imo.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I must admit that i was annoyed with the club when i first read about it however after thinking about it a little I can't blame them for trying. Afterall it is our HOME final. Now after being caught out I would hope the club would at least be pushing for the ground to be marked out to the absolute minimum legal size, whatever that may be. With it being our home game (so to speak) i think we're entitled to try for any legal advantage we can...