storm players in VRL this weekend

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

they r playing for the club i was playing for earlier this year (panthers) i could have seen rua play  :'( whyd i quit.

DESPERATE to maintain an extended squad of match-fit players, Melbourne Storm will this weekend send a host of first grade players to the amateur Victorian Rugby League competition - including two internationals.

Eight Storm players worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars, will feature in two scratch matches between Waverley/Oakleigh Panthers and Sunbury Tigers over the next two weekends.

It will be a far cry from running onto Telstra Stadium for Friday night's NRL blockbuster against the Bulldogs, but, a necessary move after feeder club, Brisbane Norths, failed to qualify for the Queensland Cup finals.

The Devils' failure to reach the finals forced Storm to approach the VRL about sending some of its players to the amateur league to maintain fitness.

There are two rounds remaining in the NRL before the finals.

New Zealand prop Adam Blair, who played three Tests for the Kiwis in last year's Tri-Nations, will headline a surprisingly strong Sunbury side, which includes James Aubusson, Ryan Shortland and Aiden Tolman.

Veteran Matt Rua, who has played eight Tests for New Zealand, Russell Aitken, Sam Tagataese and Sika Manu will play for the Panthers.

The appearances by the Storm contingent at Loft Reserve, in Newport, on Saturday is a major boon to the six-team competition's finals series, which kicks-off this weekend.

Altona Roosters is searching for its fifth successive premiership.

VRL general manager Joe Messina said there had been no shortage of players willing to back up from Mad Monday celebrations for a chance to link up with, or against, Storm players.

"We were looking at having them involved with the teams in the finals but we felt and other clubs felt that it may have compromised the finals," Messina said.

"Waverley and Sunbury have not made the finals but, by all reports, players are pretty keen to go out of Mad Monday and get on the field this weekend."
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

*sigh*

The article could have mentioned where Loft Reserve actually is, and what time(s) the game(s) are on.

Here's a map: http://tinyurl.com/27nqdf
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

It's a pity it's not being played the same day as the VRL finals, they are being played at the same ground on the Sunday afternoon.
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just thought I'd post this for anyone who didn't see the Herald Sun article today. The Melway reference for Loft Reserve is 55 F4. Kickoff is at 1PM.

The second game is on a few hours before the Storm v Tight-Arses match - Sunday 2nd September, kickoff 1PM @ Casey Fields, Berwick-Cranbourne Road, Cranbourne East (Melway ref 134 E7, enter just near the old railway crossing).

The two rugby pitches are right up the other end of the complex near the disused railway line (Melway 134 G9), so they could be a bit tricky to find. (I hope my local knowledge is helpful for anyone who's planning to be there :) )

On a side note, I used to do a bit of planting/maintenance work around the wetland areas & roadsides at Casey Fields, so if the weeds are the only things that look healthy, you can blame me & my former workmates LMFAO :mrgreen:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
leaguekid
Squall
Squall

just to let you all know - I called the VRL today - the games are on Sunday not Saturday - the first game being played is Ladies Oz Tag at 11am then the rest of the games during the day.

Hope this helps all that want to come down and watch.

Cheers
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Fantastic, cause I'm at the AFL on Saturday.

And it's only 15 minutes away.

Anyone else thinking of going?
Silkin Storm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

yep we are thinking about turning up
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

It's up to you guys.

As Cab Calloway would say "Take the message to the streets"

Get it on SEN - hell, even CrippleM.
Free you get to see a bunch of NRL players run around.
Great free advertising.

What do you mean Cab Who?  :o
Philistines, all of you!
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

TC wrote: It's up to you guys.

What does Minnie The Moocher got to do with this?  ;D
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:
TC wrote: It's up to you guys.

What does Minnie The Moocher got to do with this?  ;D
Hi de hi de hi de hi! :lol:
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Ho-de-ho-de-ho-de-ho!!!

Finey interviewed James Aubusson tonight just before something-o'clock tonight (been a long day - forget) about being asked to play VRL this weekend. When asked where, James responded out near Cranbourne - Finey in his usual well-versed brain on everything AFL and Soccer said "I hate to say it - but Cranbourne isn't exactly a hotbed of Rugby League - you might be fetching your own ball!"

Now I'm certain Cranbourne has a fairly large and active League community. I'm sure of it! Can someone confirm it or email the details to that over-pompous "Baker didn't deserve it" excuse of a "journalist"?
leaguekid
Squall
Squall

Hi Buzz,

Here is a list of Local Clubs and the suburbs in which they are based.

Altona Roosters (Seniors & Juniors) Newport

Casey Chiefs (Juniors) Casey Sharks (Seniors) Cranbourne

Doveton Steelers (Seniors) South East Titans (Juniors) Doveton

Geelong Tiger Snakes (Seniors) Geelong

Sunbury Tigers (Juniors & Seniors) Sunbury

Waverley/Oakleigh Panthers (Juniors & Seniors) Clayton

All juniors are from age's 7's to 16's

Then Colts

Then Seniors

Then over 35's

Also Altona, Casey, Sunbury & Waverley have a Girls Oz Tag Team for Girls aged 12 - 17

Also there is a Ladies Oz Tag Comp - unsure how many teams are in this comp.

On Saturday at Sunbury the Casey Girls are playing the Waverley Girls for a spot in the Grand Final against Altona.

Some of the girls are Junior Storm Members - so for those who live out that way come and support the sisters, cousins and friends of the Boys that play in the local comp.

Cheers

Leaguekid
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Where's Jake & Elwood??  :P
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Buzz wrote: Ho-de-ho-de-ho-de-ho!!!

Finey interviewed James Aubusson tonight just before something-o'clock tonight (been a long day - forget) about being asked to play VRL this weekend. When asked where, James responded out near Cranbourne - Finey in his usual well-versed brain on everything AFL and Soccer said "I hate to say it - but Cranbourne isn't exactly a hotbed of Rugby League - you might be fetching your own ball!"

Now I'm certain Cranbourne has a fairly large and active League community. I'm sure of it! Can someone confirm it or email the details to that over-pompous "Baker didn't deserve it" excuse of a "journalist"?
Some of my family live down that way (near Cranny and Frangers) and there is a large Storm following down those parts.

Finey is a nuf nuf.  Maybe he should check his facts before spouting off about something he clearly has no idea about.
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Guys I didn't hear the comment but knowing Finey (and I have met him once or twice) it was prob a tongue in check comment don't take it too seriously