Storm man petition

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Thursday's more than half over! :)

First of all - meeting went for 2 hours in total, so a big thanks to Pete, Fi and Trish for making time to discuss some of the concerns. The basic upshot from the Storm Man redesign is that it is part of their brand refocus and wont be seeing major changes from here - apart from the "helmet". I'm awaiting some of the major points in an email from Storm which I'll pass on - these will cover some of the reasonings behind it better than I can from memory.

Back in 2005, the club (players, coaches, and staff) were part of a brand identification process which over several days came up with a core set of values they wanted the club to promote and be identified with. Part of this was to strongly identify the Storm brand in a crowded marketplace - hence the focus on the colour purple. There were figures relating to the change in focus of colours, including an increase in sales from on-field and training gear from $300k up to almost $1mill. They have done much research into the results of their efforts, and in short, we are now placed fourth on the list of all sporting clubs in terms of sponsors returns - behind Essendon, Broncos and Fremantle.

The Club decided that as part of their refocus of brand, part of that would be a new Storm Man costume. Again much money has been spent on design and research on it - with the result we saw. Unfortunately, there were production issues with the helmet and the colouration of said helmet. This is being reworked to properly reflect the colour of the club, and also refine the helmet into more like the traditional Storm Man mask. However - the colours are unlikely to change. The Club also agree that the launch could have been better handled, including more background on why the change (even stories for children on the change) and could have even consulted members on the best designs for the new SM.

The Club indicated that the home jersey is the design they see as being the same for decades to come (barring minor changes). The away jersey is the one which will change every now and then - and yes - it will be changed for next year.

The multitude of colours that we are seeing are generally a result of production processes. Each company is aware of the PMS values that the club uses and are using that in production. The problem occurs due to the different dye take up of each material. And unfortunately those companies aren't invested enough in the process to modify the colours to get a more exact representation post production. There are something like 120 companies making all sorts of products bearing NRL logos, and the Club does it's best communicating issues with them such as colour interpretation.

So with the expectation of more details from the Club - are people satisfied with the changes to make the helmet more the mask? Would you like more information regarding the direction the club is taking in terms of colouration and brand identification? Or would you like to proceed with petitions?

I do get the feeling that with all the money, time and research the club has committed to this process, that the best we will get is the modified helmet design.

On side issues, the Club will be looking into the history website idea and will see if it's workable. We should see memberships launched as early as the first week of September - with financial incentives to sign in September (such as discounts on the 2008 prices). Those purchased should also be fulfilled before Christmas - opening up the pressy market. The presumed "vetting" of questions for the Supporter Forums is actually so they can prepare detailed responses, rather than weeding out questions they don't want to answer.

The Club is also looking at involving members more closely in some areas including a cheer squad possibility, travel etc.

Again - thanks to Storm for their time - much appreciated. Even spoke to Brian Waldron on my way out, and he wanted to know if all our concerns had been answered.

I'm sure I've missed out on some of what was discussed, but if I remember more, or get more information from the club, I'll post it.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

jellyhead wrote:
bourbon_rat wrote:
nacho wrote: the thing that needs to be changed about storm man the most is THE QUAD BIKE

I loved that bike, we should bring it back
but nooooo, Honda doesn't sponsor us anymore :(
he only fell off once  :lol:
I'm sure Astoria Honda would offer back Stormy's Quad bike if MOPT/Storm could work out the outrageously expensive Public Liability Insurance  ;-)
I thought he wasn't allowed to use it because it damaged the new athletics track?
oh....

well thats a good point
i haddnt heard anything about that
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Well done Buzzy on the report
Buzz wrote: The Club indicated that the home jersey is the design they see as being the same for decades to come (barring minor changes). The away jersey is the one which will change every now and then - and yes - it will be changed for next year.

:thumbup: :toothy8:
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
lotti

I doubt a child would've come up with new Storm Man design.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thanks for reporting that back to us Buzz and rather quickly too, much appreciated. I must say that I am quite surprised that barely anyone has made any comments about this yet. I thought for sure I’d wake this morning to see numerous replies to this. As for my comments...

Of course we won't be seeing any major mascot changes from here, they've already gone and done the MAJOR change, and quite frankly, new or old helmet, it’s CRAP!!!! If the club spent "much money" on its design and research then they've obviously wasted their money. I think we've all pretty much agreed that the design is totally wrong and I for one don't care what the club has said about their reasons for changing it, the fact remains that it’s not what WE want. There is absolutely no reason in my opinion why they had to change Storm Man’s design. Again I say, look at the clubs logo and tell me what colour he is? I say if the club don’t look to bring the old mascot back then we continue with the petition and whatever else it takes to get the old guy back. Honestly, how hard could it be for the remainder of the season, unless they’ve already binned the old suit? Given what they’ve said, did they give any indication that they’d be prepared to change him back?

As for their research, what research? They certainly didn't research anyone on this board about changing our mascot’s colours. I know as a member I completed at least two surveys in recent years and I do understand that there were some studies completed in recent years too but I would find it incredibly hard to believe if they mentioned anything about our mascot’s colour scheme. I know there was nothing in the survey I filled out. Whilst I am disappointed that they're moving away from our "traditional" club colours (not referring to the mascot here), I do buy into their "brand identification" comments a little and I suppose in a crowded marketplace, they’ve got to try something. If only they could keep the purple, PURPLE and not lilac or pink. But back to Storm Man for a sec, even with the rebranding, there should be no reason to change the mascot. The club should just admit that they got it wrong and change him back, end of story.

I’m glad they seem to think we’ll retain the our “traditional” home jersey design and am quite happy for them to change the away jersey every couple of years or so, its good for sales given they would make less from a home jersey that wouldn't change,  tho a little more thought could go into them, the past couple have been pretty ordinary (away jerserys).

All in all some good information in there and I thank the club for taking the time to explain some of it to you Buzz to pass on to the masses, even if I still don’t agree with some of it, particularly the Storm Man information.
DaveInOz
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Buzz,

thank you for taking our conserns to the club and for your report.

My first thought regarding their explanation is 'I DON'T CARE'.
I don't care how much research they did to change Storm man
I don't care how much the new outfit cost
They got it wrong and it needs fixing.

As for the rest - pushing the purple etc I'm cool with that, the membership stickers have been purple since at least 2005 (earliest one stuck on my desk)

If they did their research and are confident that they have done the right thing - then they wouldn't object to us conducting a petition to prove ourselves wrong, now would they.

NOTE to Storm Marketing:
Research tells you what to expect, but it is no substitute for actual results.
Look at New Coke and admit that research can be wrong.
When the water is up to your ankles and getting deeper it is time to stop saying that the reasearch said it would float and start bailing.
As there is no Storm Man merch you won't see the results in lack of sales, instead listen to the petitions, or turn up to a game and see how the cheers have turned to jeers. If you want an objective comment - ask Storm Man how the new outfit has been recieved, has he noticed a difference?

To Brian Waldron:
Have our conserns been answered? Yes, but not addressed or rectified. Patting us on the head and telling us Daddy knows best does not fix the glaring problem.

:roll: here I go getting all militant, reminds me of my union days  :cussing::eureka:
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I couldn't agree with you more there Dave  :)
Silkin Storm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Here Here

I also believe the new costume is crap and I happen to like the purple altho it could be royal instead of the pinky version we are seeing
Still its not as bad as the costume thats an embarrassment to the club & supporters,
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
evilc
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Totally agree with Dave, petition for old storm-man costume style should go ahead.
evilc
Mini Chick
Squall
Squall

Hmmmm.....
So what now? I have no real issues with the purple thing - my problem is that its more pink than purple and rather too close to Manly's colour for my liking. My take on purple is that it should be the purple on the old Fila jumpers, that my friends is purple.

As to Storm man, he is still a disgrace! The colour is wrong and the helmet a debacle. And research? I think not! HAs anyone here been asked their opinion? I still reckon a real, live petition would be a winner. Look at all the people who go each week that we don't know or have e-mail addys for.

I'd be happy to help out if it comes to that, though I can't make the Broncos game (bloody family functions.....please insert swear words of choice!).
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

STORM*2*VICTORY wrote: Well done Buzzy on the report
Buzz wrote: The Club indicated that the home jersey is the design they see as being the same for decades to come (barring minor changes). The away jersey is the one which will change every now and then - and yes - it will be changed for next year.

:thumbup: :toothy8:

And, given tradition, replaced by something even worse.
Our away Jerseys (in order):

white - Noice.
Yellow - Not the best.
Puce with lightning bolts - shocker.
White - Thumbs up
White T-shirt - dreadful
2008? - If it follows the pattern it's gonna be woeful.
Last edited by TC on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

TC wrote: And, given tradition, replaced by something even worse.

white - Noice.
Yellow - Not the best.
White - Thumbs up
White T-shirt - dreadful
As long as they stay away from these hideous examples,which previously featured a prominent lightning bolt theme.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

*shudder*
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bourbon_rat wrote:
TC wrote: And, given tradition, replaced by something even worse.

white - Noice.
Yellow - Not the best.
White - Thumbs up
White T-shirt - dreadful
As long as they stay away from these hideous examples,which previously featured a prominent lightning bolt theme.
the gateway top looks like the tigers top
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Finally pulled my finger out and signed the petition.

He (Storm Man) was even copping it from MORONIC Bronco's supporters sitting near me.

(Pretty rich coming from half baked nufnufs who have a guy on a real horse running up the boundary line).  :roll: