Boofa

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just watched foxsports news re Matt Geyer - hasn't travelled with the boys for the Roosters game supposedly for a rest - been on foxsports website - apparently it looks like he might be forced out of Storm due to salary cap restrictions
can ya believe this
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mystormboys wrote: - been on foxsports website - apparently it looks like he might be forced out of Storm due to salary cap restrictions
Huh? Do you have a link? What does him being rested this week have to do with being forced out of the club?
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If Geyer goes I'm sure the Storm will give him an off-field role.Its hard for the Storm to fit everyone under the cap so retiring Geyer would be sensible.Its a shame they don't have a veteran salary cap relief like they do in the AFL.
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Ahh sorry mystormboys I found a story about this http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Sto ... 58374.html
Penrith have emerged as serious contenders if Melbourne can't afford to give veteran Matt Geyer a swansong next year.

Geyer has an option to remain in Melbourne next season but his manager David Riolo has expressed fears the Storm's young talent may prevent the club from keeping the 31-year-old due to salary-cap pressure.
But Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk has urged the Storm to do all they can to allow Geyer to leave on his own terms, labelling the premiership-winning five-eighth the heart and soul of the club.

"Without a doubt (we want him to play on). He is basically the foundation that this club has built its loyalty around," Cronk said.
Geyer is believed to be only interested in playing for Melbourne in 2008, but a Penrith deal may not be too far-fetched considering he grew up in Sydney's west and his brother Mark is a club legend at the Panthers.
"I'm pretty certain that Melbourne wouldn't be letting Matt Geyer go," Leary said.

"He's held in very high esteem with Melbourne and I'd be very shocked to think they'd even contemplate letting him go.
Jesus Christ I hope this is just one big load of shite!!! I would be DEVASTATED if he left right now. How could we NOT have enough money with King, Aubusson, Donnelly & others going? To me this makes no sense. Maybe someone else on here could shed some more light on the subject?
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

They are talking about it on the Footy show right now. Mark Geyer is FURIOUS! Making claims that we wants Gallop out....all the salary cap restrictions forcing players out of our game
Last edited by StormBec on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

StormBec wrote:
mystormboys wrote: - been on foxsports website - apparently it looks like he might be forced out of Storm due to salary cap restrictions
Huh? Do you have a link? What does him being rested this week have to do with being forced out of the club?
Here is the Geyer link in the Oz http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

I'd say it is a bit of a beat up by his manager.

Also maybe Bellamy can see that he'll struggle to get a game next year.

Geyer is on of my favorite players at the storm so I hope he can stay on another year for the Storm's double (back to back) flags :D
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
lotti

yeah Penrith would love to get their hands on Boofa but where were they when the Reds folded?  Boofa had only played 6 games then.  They could've had the type of bragging rights a few clubs have which is having brother legends in the past we've had the Walters boys(Steve, Kevin and Kerrod), the Walker boys(Chris, Ben and Shayne), the Iros, the Ikins the clubs they played for and to some extent the state and countries knew that if you put siblings on the field together you're probably making a good move because of the backyard footy they played as kids they know each other's strengths and weaknesses better than their teammates or former teammates do, we'll probably see a good example of that tomorrow night that's if all of the Aubersson boys play.
Last edited by lotti on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Read a bit on this earlier today. Waldron denies the salary cap will force Boofa out, says it is up to the coaching staff whether they feel he would benefit the club in 2008. There was also comment about the salary cap freed up by the departure of Donnelly, King, etc with Waldron saying a lot of that has gone to upgrading contracts for players like Folau and others.

Just on the salary cap, there's concessions for long term players under the salary cap, long term is defined as 7 or 8 years, up until a couple of years ago it was 10 years. Does anyone know the exact concessions under the long term player aspect?

With Roy and King going next year I figured Bellamy would look at Boofa to fill the bench utility spot given he can play anywhere in the backline. Sure hope the Storm keep him on.
lotti

Boofa definately qualifies for a long term player he's been with the Storm for most of his career, he doesn't really count the Reds games.  Aren't you glad I didn't go on to mention the current brothers who are playing league?
Last edited by lotti on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Bellamy was interviewed by Russell Fairfax at Sydney Airport last night.  Fairfax asked why Matty wasn't playing, ie is he injured?  Bellamy was really vague and ended up saying er ah no he's not injured, it's umm personal reasons.

Hope everything is ok with Boofa.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

jellyhead wrote: Bellamy was interviewed by Russell Fairfax at Sydney Airport last night.  Fairfax asked why Matty wasn't playing, ie is he injured?  Bellamy was really vague and ended up saying er ah no he's not injured, it's umm personal reasons.

Hope everything is ok with Boofa.
Newspaper today is saying Boofa and Hoffy are out as part of Storm's player rotation policy.
Crooner
Squall
Squall

Melbourne Storm CEO Brian Waldron has today reiterated the playing future of foundation player Matt Geyer will not be determined by any financial constraints.

"As I have stated before, Matt will sit down with the coaching staff to determine his future post-2007," said Waldron.

"Whether or not Matt continues past 2007 will be a football based decision that will come after consultation between Matt and the senior coach, Craig Bellamy.

"We anticipate these discussions will be ongoing as the year progresses.

"As with all clubs, we continue to monitor our salary cap with an understanding we must act within the NRL's rules. Matt's continuance or otherwise in 2008 will not however have any dramatic impact on our 2008 salary cap position.

Geyer himself is concentrating on playing out the rest of the 2007 season before contemplating his future.

"I am not even thinking about my contract beyond 2007," said Geyer.

"We still have a job to do this year and that's where all of my attention is directed.

"As I have always said, I won't be one of those players staying with the club just because I have a contract. I will only stay if I believe I am contributing to the team.

"At the moment, I think my form is pretty good. But I will sit down with the coaching staff as the year unfolds and discuss what my role will be in 2008."

Waldron I said: "I trust this clarifies this matter for all concerned and the club does not intend to make any further comment until a decision on Matt's future is made."

And from me, "Good On You Waldon"!
Lets make League viable in Melbourne.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

On Hoffman and Geyer resting tonight, I am happy with that. Both have had an enormous amount of work this year and I'm sure will appreciate the week off - although would never admit it.

And I think people saying "oh we lost King, Aubusson, Donnelly, etc we must have heaps of money left" are not looking at this very clearly. Look how good our squad list is atm. And we are trying to squeeze Newton in for next year as well. Look, I love Boofa, but if it comes down to 1 more year of Geyer or a long term deal for Newton, the choice is pretty simple. Newton every time.
Tempest
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

And this couldn't possibly be the Sydney media trying to throw petrol on a match.