Matt King gone

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

bula wrote: Apparently he's waiting to announce his decision till after the Origin and Rabbits game. He thought if he announced he was leaving for the ESL he wouldnt have been picked for NSW.
Not official but that comment would indicate he's going to the ESL. Only thing that needs to be answered, to which club.
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I just caught a glimpse of the scrolling news across the bottom of the screen on FOX SPORT NEWS and it said (not sure who quoted thou) that Matt King should be dropped from S.O.O. III for accepting an offer from an English Club.  :(
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Until we get official confirmation on this I'll reserve final judgement as I always thought it was just positioning by King and his manager to get an upgraded contract but it seems that it is more than just positioning.

The interesting bit for me is some of the supporting comments in the media.  Brent Tate said this morning that he could understand why players like King and Shaun Berrigan want to go to England to take advantage of the money on offer at the later part of their career.  King is only 26 and should be in the prime of his career.  The money on offer to play for the Storm and SOO and for Australia is clearly not as good as the money on offer in the UK but why at the peak of your career wouldn't you want to play at the highest level possible in the best competition and still be well paid for it.  I know I would.   

As I said i'll wait to firm confirmation before passing further judgement.  Will be a sad day if we lose a player like King in the prime of his career.
Ahhh McGahan; you've done it agahan....
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Andy wrote: I just caught a glimpse of the scrolling news across the bottom of the screen on FOX SPORT NEWS and it said (not sure who quoted thou) that Matt King should be dropped from S.O.O. III for accepting an offer from an English Club.   :(
Ricky Stuart has been attributed to saying this in the Herald Sun:
Australia coach Ricky Stuart said centre King - yet to announce his plans for next year - should be kicked out of the NSW side before Wednesday's State-of-Origin clash as a deterrent to players quitting the NRL.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 23,00.html
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

And that just confirms Ricky is a WANKER and a HYPOCRITE!

Who bought Jamie Lyon back from the UK Superleague last year to play for the Kangaroos???

That's right! the one and only dickhead ( except for Simpkins of course) Stuart!!! ??? :x ??? :x

Cheers
Bunnies :D :D :D
Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

does this all sound too familiar with our players over the past not so much for going o/s but for leaving for more money at least he is not a 1/2 back.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/danny___boi/cooperthecronk2.jpg
lotti

bunnies wrote:
And that just confirms Ricky is a WANKER and a HYPOCRITE!

Who bought Jamie Lyon back from the UK Superleague last year to play for the Kangaroos???

That's right! the one and only dickhead ( except for Simpkins of course) Stuart!!! ??? :x ??? :x

Cheers
Bunnies :D :D :D
  Bunnies Jamie had signed with a NRL club when he was brought out to play for the Kangaroos, it would've been hypocritical if Jamie had played with his old club against the Broncos in the WCC but he was in summer training with his new one.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
pommy storm
Squall
Squall

If he were to go (hope he dosn't). this would be the ideal situation for me as it would save me hating him playing for another superleague club

http://www.sporthull.co.uk/rugby_league ... hp?ID=1352

go storm and come on you robins!!!
When the red, red robin goes bob,bob,bobin'
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Interesting twist  :?

The SL clubs named as 'front runners' for Matty's autograph on a contract are also 'front runners' to have points deducted for 'salary cap breaches'  ;-)

CONCERNS RAISED AGAIN OVER SALARY CAP
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
pommy storm
Squall
Squall

Rumour in the sydney papers is that Wigan will drop out of the chase and Warrington will step in?
When the red, red robin goes bob,bob,bobin'
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

In the Sunday papers up here today it is stated Kingy signed with Warrington on Friday afternoon for $700,000 a season, 4 year deal.

It further stated he intends informing his teammates early this week!

Cheers
Bunnies :D :D
Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

again, for 700k, how could you really knock it back.  That would be near on 400k a year more than he gets here, as well as paying less tax!  Don't want to see him go, but for that money I would have to say I think I would
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

I guess there is less and less loyalty in sport these days,  and going to country where that is not in there vocabulary will suite him fine.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/danny___boi/cooperthecronk2.jpg
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Awww, come on you can't really blame the guy for looking towards his future financial security can you??  Seriously how many of us can honestly say we wouldn't do the exact same thing if it was offered??   I know I'd take the money and run!  He could still come back after a few years and may get a game back here (for us or another team).
The blame should really be put to the english league, they're the ones making these huge offers to aussie players - I agree with Lockyer on this one, they need to concentrate on home-grown talent and stop relying on our guys to prop their teams up.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

they need to concentrate on home-grown talent and stop relying on our guys to prop their teams up.
Hey - if it works for the English Cricket team, why not Rugby League! ;)