TEAMelbourne

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

The concept raised a few years back, officially created last year and launched yesterday - a partnership between Melbourne Demons, Melbourne Storm, Melbourne Tigers, Netball Victoria (through Melbourne Pheonix) and Melbourne Racing Club.

http://www.teamelbourne.com.au

Currently excludes Melbourne Victory, because they want to build their own identity in their own right.

Overall, I think it will be a boon for the club - will provide huge marketing opportunities with the other clubs - and we might start seeing some ads at the MCG featuring the Storm!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sounds great! Gee 4 or 5 years back things werent looking for the Melbourne Storm but now seem as though we're gonna be just as strong as any league club in sydney if not stronger in the future.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Is it just me or is the Melbourne Victory THE most arrogant sporting club in Australia (well - if not the most, a close second to Collingwood)?

They've been on the planet for two years - one poor year, one great year.  Suddenly they have overwhelming success - and last I heard are targeting 20,000 members - a figure that would rival most AFL clubs.

Their involvement in TEAMelbourne would only have been a boon for all concerned - but alas they chose to 'go it alone' - well, its that sort of selfish, I'm-too-good-for-you-guys attitude that will make me a happy man if they underperform in the next few years.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not just you at all DS. I've had my say about it elsewhere and arrogant was one of the many terms i used to describe them. I can't for the life of me think why they wouldn't want to be a part of something like this. If anything all they're going to do is alienate the supporters of the teams that have signed up and have no chance of getting them to a Victory game i would think with their superior attitude. They'll need every bit of support they get when the success dries up and the supporters jump off the bandwagon quicker than you can say "Melbourne who?"
lotti

nope definately not just you DS.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Wonder which teams will be in Phase 2 of TeaMelbourne?
* Victoria Bushrangers?
* Melbourne Ice?
* Melbourne Rebels?
* South Melbourne Hellas/ Melbourne Knights?
* South Dragons?
* Port Melbourne Borough?
* Bulleen Boomers or Dandenong Rangers?
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Diehard_Storm wrote: Is it just me or is the Melbourne Victory THE most arrogant sporting club in Australia (well - if not the most, a close second to Collingwood)?

They've been on the planet for two years - one poor year, one great year.  Suddenly they have overwhelming success - and last I heard are targeting 20,000 members - a figure that would rival most AFL clubs.

Their involvement in TEAMelbourne would only have been a boon for all concerned - but alas they chose to 'go it alone' - well, its that sort of selfish, I'm-too-good-for-you-guys attitude that will make me a happy man if they underperform in the next few years.
Judging on the supporters I've met, on here and elsewhere, I'd say that it's not just the club that's arrogant. Their supporters are just as bad. With the exception of Storm*2*Victory and my niece.
Sonnit
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Victory's just building their own brand at the moment, give them a few years and I'm sure they will join TEAMelbourne. 

Don't hate. Love.
Sonnit
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Ice wrote: Not just you at all DS. I've had my say about it elsewhere and arrogant was one of the many terms i used to describe them. I can't for the life of me think why they wouldn't want to be a part of something like this. If anything all they're going to do is alienate the supporters of the teams that have signed up and have no chance of getting them to a Victory game i would think with their superior attitude. They'll need every bit of support they get when the success dries up and the supporters jump off the bandwagon quicker than you can say "Melbourne who?"
We are promoting Melbourne by playing against the Chinese team in July, so we're doing our part.  I don't see why Victory has to be part of Teamelbourne, they can do whatever they like.
petarghMVFC
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Surandy wrote:
Diehard_Storm wrote: Is it just me or is the Melbourne Victory THE most arrogant sporting club in Australia (well - if not the most, a close second to Collingwood)?

Judging on the supporters I've met, on here and elsewhere, I'd say that it's not just the club that's arrogant. Their supporters are just as bad. With the exception of Storm*2*Victory and my niece.
We have arrogance in regard to our other a-league rivals and so would they if they won the league so empahtically and im sure storm would if they had one the leage title last year.

in regards to arrogance towards teaMelbourne, i dont think this is true.

i heard our ceo talking about it and he basically said we would just like to establish our club as an individual entity, after all we have only been around for 2 years.

we are touring china in the coming months and will be playing in the ACL after the season is over which will give melbourne exposure to millions of people throughout the asian continent. we most likely see it beneficial to establish ourselves individually in the asian market to secure as much advertising and financial resources as we can, not having these resources diluted by sharing with other codes benefiting from our asian exposure, because lets face it - the a-league and melbourne victory need the money. the a- league and victory are still in a weak, fledgling state (the FFA still have a stake in victory, so we are not even independent yet) and people do not realise that if we do not see the success of season 2 maintained or built upon then collapse in the next ten years is a very real possibility.

while i think TEAMelbourne is a wonderful initiative, please dont hate melbourne victory because they are trying to do whats best for them

i agree that some MVFC supporters can come across as arrogant but it takes all types to support a football club and our board is definitely not arrogant, they are just trying to secure the future of our club, which you cannot begrudge them doing because if you were in their shoes you would be doing the same thing
Last edited by petarghMVFC on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erpel9999
Squall
Squall

before this turns into yet another everyone vs victory thread i can see why they may not want to join as the team melbourne idea is crap.

the idea that we may find new fans by appealling to netball and basketball fans is laughable. the storm has been doing just fine by themselves.

second, aligning with an afl team is a dangerous game in melbourne itself. just ask the late carlton and collingwood soccer clubs and the entire vfl competition which is a shadow of its former self. i used to follow sandringham until it became the melbourne reserves.

If the storm start sending me stuff about the demons they will hear back loud and clear what i think of that idea. >:( >:( >:(

but i might accept free tickets to whichever racecourse the melbourne racing club is  :D :D
how big is my weekend going to be? again....
[url=http://userbars.org][img]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4459/stormfanbf6.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6094/751172770404iy8.png[/img][/url]
Andy
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

erpel9999 wrote: before this turns into yet another everyone vs victory thread
Unforunately it already has.   ::)

I don't give a rat's clacker about soccer, or whatever the purists like to call it.  I call it soccer and last time I checked, this part of the forum was for Melbourne Storm.

=;
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Victory are more like Drawory to me!
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Team Melbourne is a great concept but hasn't been but into place very well.

I follow the South Dragons in basketball and absolutely detest the Melbourne Tigers. Whats wrong with saying ok storm fans you can have a choice between Soutgh Dragons and Melbourne Tigers.

Also the Dragons have a lot more in common with the Storm then the Tigers. They share cheerleaders and mascots, there both new and innovative clubs, play ion the same precint and share social club venues. The Tigers play in the monkey cage at the zoo and are doing nothing but letting basketball down by playing at a tiny stadium in a hopeless location
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

TEAMelbourne looks and sounds like a really stupid implementation of what might in some limited way be a good idea.

I can't see anything concrete on the TM website about actual benefits to fans or actual changes to team operations.  Not that I expect it will happen.  It looks like something as useless as Metlink or TravelSmart or ads for Coca Cola, telling you stuff you already know in the hope you might be a bit more interested (or less disinterested).

Why on earth did the Storm have to discredit the club's image by humouring such a stupid notion?
Stormin North Queanbeyan!