The origins of Storm fans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Where are Storm fans from?

Victoria
49%
New South Wales
14%
Queensland
10%
New Zealand
2%
England
6%
Somewhere else
18%

Total votes: 49
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Often we hear it said through the media that all Storm fans are expat kiwi's or expats from the Northern states. I think this is a myth. I was chatting to one Storm fan about this who said it was true in the first couple of years but now and now there are more victorian born and bred fans following the club.

As far as I am aware every member of our supporters groups (Kaufusi's Klan) is victorian born and bred. Storm19 will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it would be hard to come up with a definetive answer on this one but what do people think? what percentage of Storm fans are ex pats and what percentage are vic's. I'm sure the percentage of victorians attending storm games is growing year by year
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I'm Victorian born and bred, have never even lived in Rugby League heartland.
Storm19
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yes Mikey, We were all born in Victoria. Our passion for the Storm is well shown in our group, especially by the KING OF MERCHANDISE (KEV) who really should spend some money fixing his rotting teeth and not on more merchandise. Anyway MFK, catch you soon. :)
Lima's Lunatics. Stuff Kaufusi, IT'S LIMA TIME.
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Victorian born & bred here too... Was brought up on soccer (er, football) but now its all League since 1998. I did kinda follow SoO & the Broncos prior to then.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sorry guys - hate to rain on your Victoria love parade - but I'm a Queenslander who dumped the Broncos when the Storm came into the comp.  I moved to Melbourne in the Storm's first year, went to the first home game and was hooked ever since.

My wife however is just as big a fan and she is Victorian born and bred.  However, a few fellow supporters I know are from the UK, NZ, QLD  - not too many Melbournians but I know they are out there...
glynny
Squall
Squall

I'm a born, bred and proud Victorian that has been a league man thru and thru since I was 15 years old and only followed one footy side since 1998 that being the storm.
Go the mighty storm.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Born and bred Vic here too  :D
Brought up on the real footy - aussie rules :lol:  Watched NRL grand finals on the sunday's after the VFL/AFL ones cos it was sport  ;-)  Used to say Balmian were my team cos they were tigers too  :lol:  When Bronco's joined I liked em too cos they were not from NSW!
Never really that interested tho til my other footy lost most of it's toughness  :'(
I'm a child of the 70's and 80's aussie rules - tough and hard - that's what the NRL offers me now!  :P
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was a Noa Nadruku supporter until i was 12, relative in Melbourne bought me a Storm skivvy and cap so went for them ever since, they won the comp 2 months later.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Silkin Storm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Born & mostly bread Victorian who has a distinct dislike for aussie rules
married a kiwi who got me into rugby & then I brought him a league membership at the end of 98 for the 99 season.
needless to say i got hooked too LOL
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Diehard_Storm wrote: Sorry guys
Don't be sorry, doesn't matter where you are from as long as you support the Storm.  :D

Although we are also quite welcoming of well behaved opposition supporters too.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Surandy wrote:
Diehard_Storm wrote: Sorry guys
Don't be sorry, doesn't matter where you are from as long as you support the Storm.  :D

Although we are also quite welcoming of well behaved opposition supporters too.
That's the best part of the Storm family - we can all feel part of the club!!

As for this forum - everyone is welcome to post and also feel part of the Storm experience!!
I don't think we've ever had anyone who felt out of place in here! (even those Manly trolls) and they (like everyone else who visits here) saw that this forum is for everyone to get together and talk about ALL sorts of stuff - Storm included)  :lol:

We all have our moments - just like any family  ;-)
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Azian born but raised in Melbourne.
Played Aussie Rules, Football & Basketball at school before I tore a ligament and tragically gave up on a promising, lucrative & multi-disciplined sporting career  :-({|= :tongue3:
Had a passing interest in Rugby League, mainly SOO and the Grand Final and my team were the old Western Suburbs.  Jumped on to the Storm when they entered the NRL and became a member at the end of 1998.
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Speaking on Thinga's behalf since I've never been nor will I ever be a Storm fan, he was a born and raised Victorian who went to game one 1 against the Bears.

He won't admit it but he's now a fully fledged Queenslander. Complaining about the cold on a beautiful sunny August day in Melbourne ... what Victorian would do that?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Christabella wrote: Speaking on Thinga's behalf since I've never been nor will I ever be a Storm fan, he was a born and raised Victorian who went to game one 1 against the Bears.

He won't admit it but he's now a fully fledged Queenslander. Complaining about the cold on a beautiful sunny August day in Melbourne ... what Victorian would do that?
All of us Christa  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

I wasn't cold that day and I'm not even from Victoria!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]