Turner to meet over impasse

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

GOLD Coast officials will meet defiant Melbourne wing Steve Turner next week in another bid to resolve the tug-of-war for his services.

Turner has vowed to remain at Storm, with which he signed a new three-year deal in June, backflipping on a verbal agreement to join the Titans.

The NRL has backed the Titans, insisting Turner must honour his agreement with the franchise and report to pre-season training next month.

But the 21-year-old flyer, who scored 18 tries in 27 games this season, has indicated he is prepared to take the game's governing body to court in order to stay in Melbourne.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle did not wish to comment on the issue yesterday, he is understood to be flying to Melbourne in the coming days for face-to-face talks with Turner.

Searle is believed to be set to tell Turner that the Titans have not changed their stance, and he is still part of their plans for 2007.

Storm officials have made several behind-the-scenes attempts to reach a resolution and persuade the Titans to allow Turner to remain in Melbourne.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said yesterday that he would not meet Turner until the club's post-season celebrations had ended.

Turner was busy enjoying the company of his teammates after the 15-8 grand final loss to Brisbane on Sunday, Waldron said.

"He's going on a holiday and so am I," he said of Turner.

"We are going to have a couple of weeks break and digest the season, and then we'll sit down and have a chat to him."

With the NRL refusing to register Turner's contract with Storm, the former Penrith player faces the prospect of being forced to sit out next season on the sidelines.

Former Queensland and Australia captain Gorden Tallis experienced a similar situation in 1996, when he decided not to play because of a contractual dispute between St George and Brisbane.
source Courier Mail

Lets hope that this time that there is someone from the club sitting in on this meeting unlike the last one.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Will turner have to sit out 3 seasons or just 1 if he stays in Melbourne?
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I get confused on this issue simo.

When they announced Turner was heading their the Titians said he had signed for 2 years, then when we signed him and lodged the contract they said he had signed with them for 3 years.

Heard over the GF weekend that the club was going to offer the Titians money to reslove the issue and if they weren't happy with that they the club would go to court to ensure he stays.

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Cartman_86
Squall
Squall

Stormwarning[c] wrote: I get confused on this issue simo.

When they announced Turner was heading their the Titians said he had signed for 2 years, then when we signed him and lodged the contract they said he had signed with them for 3 years.

Heard over the GF weekend that the club was going to offer the Titians money to reslove the issue and if they weren't happy with that they the club would go to court to ensure he stays.

Stormwarning, I've heard a rumour that if Turner takes the Titans to court, certain officials in the Titans arent that confident that they'll win the case. Once again, its only a rumour. If you can confirm or deny it, that would be great.
Ron Supwood
Squall
Squall

Personally I believe verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. Then again the salary cap is considered to be a restraint of trade and it happily rolls on. If a verbal contract is binding why are they continually flying to Melbourne to get Turners signature. The NRL will be very keen to have this settled out of a court room.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ron Supwood wrote: Personally I believe verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. Then again the salary cap is considered to be a restraint of trade and it happily rolls on. If a verbal contract is binding why are they continually flying to Melbourne to get Turners signature. The NRL will be very keen to have this settled out of a court room.
I think they are relying on this very narrow interpretation of legal precedent
http://www.unisa.edu.au/res/legal/legal.asp

but are desperate to nail a signature due to numerous other,(more binding) precedents for written & signed over verbal  8)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Ron Supwood
Squall
Squall

I trust they are not relying on verbal contracts to get the new stadium built on the Gold Coast. Verbally all you can do is agree in principle. When the written contract is presented there may be clauses that are unacceptable or clauses not written into the contract. 
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

IN-DEMAND winger Steve Turner feels like his life is in limbo and has called on the Gold Coast Titans and Melbourne Storm to quickly resolve their dispute over his services.
As the Titans revealed they were on the brink of signing former All Blacks champion Jonah Lomu to a one-year deal, Turner was also hopeful of finalising his future.

After initially indicating he would join the new Titans franchise in 2007, Turner claimed he had not signed a contract and promptly re-signed with Storm for three seasons.

While the NRL has sided with the Gold Coast and has refused to register Turner's Storm contract, the grand final winger said he remained hopeful of staying in Melbourne.

"My manager is talking to the Gold Coast tomorrow and he is doing everything he can to help me stay," Turner said.

"Hopefully we can work something out because it has been hanging over my head for a fair while now. I'd love to get it sorted, but it is out of my control."

Titans management indicated yesterday any deal with Lomu would not influence their deal with Turner.
Source News Ltd

lotti

something the titans and the NRL have to realise a contract is more legally binding than a verbal agreement.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

depends lotti - a verbal contract can be just as binding as a written one, but there are issues here about not getting him to sign a contract within a certain time frame of arriving at the verbal agreement
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullshit...all the reports a couple of months ago was that titans had already filled the salary cap, then they sign Matty Rogers for 2008 and announce theyre close to signing the biggest name in rugby, Jonah Lomu.
My bet is as soon as they finalise the deal with Lomu they'll release Turner from his 'Contract'
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This could and should be in the NRL section but thought the last part of it was more important for us and belongs here.
GOLD Coast managing director Michael Searle has hit back at critics labelling the NRL club's courting of former All Blacks star Jonah Lomu as a publicity stunt.

Lomu, 31, has until Sunday night to decide whether he'll switch codes and join the Titans on a one-year deal believed to be worth around $100,000.

Questions have been raised about Lomu's ability to make the transition to rugby league, while sceptics have come out of the woodwork claiming it's simply a PR exercise by Gold Coast.

"If Lomu agrees to join the Titans, he will become little more than a rugby league sideshow - the equivalent of the bearded lady," a Sydney-based News Limited journalist wrote recently.

"He might put a few extra bums on seats for a while, but only for the novelty value."

But Searle says the club's temporary home ground Carrara Stadium will be packed to the rafters next year, regardless of whether Lomu plays for the Titans or not.

"It'll actually have a bigger impact on our away crowds," Searle pointed out today.

"I'm sure the other NRL clubs and the administrators are more than happy to hear that Jonah Lomu's coming because it'll add two or three thousand seats.

"The star factor had a bigger impact on away games - we'll have full stadiums anyway.

"Whether it's in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Townsville or Auckland, Kiwis will flock to see him play.

"That's great for rugby league. It'll introduce a whole new range of fans to the game."

Searle said the biggest hurdle to Lomu joining the Titans remained the potential conflict between NRL sponsors and his worldwide endorsements with companies associated with rugby union.

"There's big commercial factors that are going to weigh heavily on him and the revenue from his sponsorship endorsements far exceeds what he would earn from rugby league," Searle said.

"It's more important for him to resolve those issues first and if that's achievable then we're in the game."

Lomu, who had a kidney transplant in 2004, is seriously considering a switch to the 13-man game after failing to secure a Super 14 rugby union contract in New Zealand for next year.

The 125kg wing flew into the Gold Coast last week to open negotiations with the Titans.

"Whether you're an AFL, rugby league or rugby union fan, people want to see Jonah Lomu compete because at his peak he's one of the most incredible athletes the codes have put before us," said Searle.

Meanwhile, Searle said players involved in the NRL grand final or the current Tri-Nations series who have signed with the Titans would be excused from pre-season training until late December.

That means it could be weeks before the Steve Turner contractual dispute is resolved, with the Melbourne wing adamant he wants to stay with the Storm despite agreeing to play for the Titans until the end of 2009.

lotti

it does have a small mention of Turner who is wanting to stay at the Storm.  The Titans could be heading into a no win situation because if they force Turner to sign with them he could very well do what Jamie Lyon did and walk out on the Titans and head to England.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lomu has decided to stay with union, so ends that little story
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The man who stands to gain the most if Steve Turner fails to honour his agreement with the Gold Coast Titans wants the recalcitrant fullback to join the NRL club.

Englishman Richie Mathers says he hopes the Titans and Melbourne can resolve their bitter contractual dispute over Turner, who re-signed with the Storm for another three years despite already agreeing to terms with Gold Coast.

Turner scored 18 tries from 26 appearances on the wing for losing grand finalist Melbourne this season but made a name for himself as a fullback - the position Gold Coast recruit Mathers wants to cement.

Turner, 22, isn't expected at Titans training until early next month but he was a notable absentee at the club's opening day of orientation week.

"I've heard reports back home that he's not keen on coming," said Mathers, who is close to full recovery following a knee reconstruction in June.

"I don't know the ins and outs of it but it's his choice.

"If he comes he'd be more than welcome because he's a great player. If he doesn't then good luck to him.

"Either way I don't think that will have too much bearing on myself.

"Everybody's competitive and there'll be two or three players for every position anyway."

The NRL has sided with the Titans in the tug-of-war over Turner's services while the Storm have refused to rule out legal action in trying to retain the speedster.

Former Leeds star Mathers, 23, simply wants to be fully fit again and nail down a spot in the Titans' top 17.

He revealed a heart-to-heart with his father convinced him to follow in the footsteps of fellow Great Britain internationals Adrian Morley and Brian Carney and try his hand in the tough NRL competition.

"I figured if I don't go now I'll live to regret it," said Mathers, who arrived on the Gold Coast on Sunday with girlfriend Sasha Darmbrough.

"I had a four year contract offer from Leeds but my dad said not many players get the chance to come to Australia and not many NRL clubs go for English players.

"He said you'd be crazy not to. To be honest it was an easy decision.

"I just needed a bit of reassurance that I was making the right one."

With Leeds, Mathers won the 2004 Super League premiership and last's year World Club Challenge match against the Bulldogs but he admits to being nervous about playing in the NRL.

"It's a totally different competition and I'm playing with people I've never met before," he said.

"They were good times with Leeds ... but this is a totally different challenge in my life but one I'm really looking forward to.

"I wouldn't come over here if I didn't want to take on that challenge."

The Titans begin training on Monday and play their first trial against the Storm in Coffs Harbour on February 17.