Storm final at the Dome?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yakstorm
Squall
Squall

Origin success sets up possibility of a Telstra Dome final
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/origi ... 78162.html

THE success of State of Origin III in Melbourne could see the NRL schedule a Storm home final at Telstra Dome - three times the capacity of Olympic Park, where the team normally plays - if the Storm maintain their hot form.

But plans for such a move would probably meet with opposition from Melbourne, who have an outstanding record at their home ground.

The Storm, who lead the competition by four points after 18 rounds, have won eight out of eight home games this season and have a 13-game home winning streak going back to last season.

Telstra Dome was packed out by a crowd of 54,833 when Queensland beat NSW in Origin III last Wednesday and two nights later 15,479 saw Melbourne beat Brisbane in the rain at Olympic Park, which has a capacity of about 18,000.

The Storm usually battle to get crowds in excess of 10,000 and although there was an obvious back-up factor with many interstate visitors attending both the Origin and club games, the league was thrilled with both roll-ups.

Each of the top four teams play a home game in the first week of the finals and the Storm would have to collapse miserably to miss out on being one of those.

Asked if the league might try to capitalise on the Origin success by gambling on a larger venue, the NRL's chief operating officer Graham Annesley said yesterday: "It wouldn't be out of the question.

"We haven't discussed it at this stage and we wouldn't consider doing it without talking to the Storm first, but the NRL has ultimate control over decisions on finals venues and based on the Origin success it would be worth having a look at it.

"It would depend on several factors, such as where the Storm were on the ladder going into the finals, what their form was like at that stage, which team they were going to be playing, that sort of thing. But last week - with the big Origin crowd and then a good crowd in poor weather for the Storm - was an unqualified success in anyone's language, even with the back-up factor for the club game."

The NRL and AFL finals start on the same weekend, with games on Friday, September 10, and the Saturday and Sunday, but there is only a slight possibility of a scheduling clash, as there would not be more than one AFL game at Telstra Dome that weekend.

Asked last night whether he would support the idea, Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron was not prepared to look that far down the track.

"I hate this issue because if we talked now about the finals it would make it seem like we were getting ahead of ourselves and if you do that you just risk bringing grief upon yourselves," he said.

But the Herald understands there is a feeling within the club that it would not be a smart move to give up the Olympic Park factor.

Meanwhile, only two players - Parramatta second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh and South Sydney prop Scott Geddes - were charged from the weekend round. Hindmarsh was charged with a grade one dangerous throw and can avoid suspension with an early guilty plea. Geddes (grade two careless high tackle) faces a one-match suspension either way.
Now whilst I know we have a fantastic record at Olympic Park, I would love the final to be taken to Telstra Dome provided the NRL also then help up in really promoting the match in the lead up week.

Olympic Park is a dump, we all know that, and considering we are hoping to win over some bandwagoners to get behind the Storm, I think we would have far better luck doing that at the Dome than at OP.

Corporate wise alone, the Storm could cash in a lot more at Telstra Dome for starters and I think a crowd of 25K could be realistically be achieved, at OP, we wont get much more than 16K for comfort and safety reasons.
[url=http://"http://www.kangarooarmy.com"][img]http://www.kangarooarmy.com/bay331.gif[/img][/url]
Storm19
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

NO WAY to Telstra Dome for Final! That is all I have to say.
Lima's Lunatics. Stuff Kaufusi, IT'S LIMA TIME.
Silkin
Squall
Squall

No Dome .

We give away the home ground advantage that way and as someone has already said a busting at the seams graveyard with a good serface over a partly full and echoing tomb with a crappy surface anyday
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We needed two threads for this?  I think everyone has already expressed their opinions on this matter...
lotti

I think the Dome will have something else on that day like an AFL game.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
yakstorm
Squall
Squall

Insomniac wrote: We needed two threads for this?  I think everyone has already expressed their opinions on this matter...
Sorry which thread is the other thread about this?  I've looked through the first three pages of the message board and can't find any title with reference to a Storm final at the Dome.
I think the Dome will have something else on that day like an AFL game.
As mentioned in the article, there would only be that potential problem on one of the days of the weekend.  Of course it all depends where the Storm would finish, but it still could be possible.
[url=http://"http://www.kangarooarmy.com"][img]http://www.kangarooarmy.com/bay331.gif[/img][/url]
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry which thread is the other thread about this?
This thread  :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Strom will win on any day on any surface...... Let the people see it.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Neddy Seagoon wrote:
Sorry which thread is the other thread about this?
This thread  :)
That's the one! ;)
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No way to a home final at the Dome.

a) the surface is shyte
b) would we get a crowd?
c) better record at OP
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
lotti

d) a home final means it's played at the home ground of the club of which it's a home final for which for Melbourne is Olympic Park aka the Graveyard.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

LESStar58 wrote: No way to a home final at the Dome.

a) the surface is shyte
b) would we get a crowd?
c) better record at OP
A) Extra training seasions should give our guys a huge advantage on it.
B) You bet! :D ... Bandwagoners
C) But an absolutely terrible venue to wittness the Start of a successfull finals campain.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Some guys who work at the MCG and TDome were telling me yesterday that there is an agreement that all clubs signed to that states any finals game must be at a venue with a capacity of 35,000 minimum. I don't know if this is accurate tho - will see if I can corroborate.
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Thats no problem at Olympic park, bloody Ticketek or whoever have on several occasions sold our members seats so it they do that then we shout fit enough people,  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I am back again.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz, I thought that arrangement was only for weeks 2 and 3 of the finals series. The aim being to avoid the Storm vs Cowboys situation last year.