how bad are our "salary cap issues"

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Today Jake Webster came out and said he is definately leaving the storm at seasons end, saying he was forced out by the club. The only reason for him being forced out would be due to these "salary cap issues" that Waldron mentioned a few weeks back. The same cap issues that no doubt lead to Hill and Kidwell leaving. Then the storm buy quinn and say they arent in the market for a big name 5/8 rather they are looking to sign nicalou and try him out at 5/8.

so just how big is our salar cap issues? If it is leading to our big names to leave and stopping us from buying big name players there must be something wrong.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

KINGY wrote: so just how big is our salar cap issues? If it is leading to our big names to leave and stopping us from buying big name players there must be something wrong.

I don't think it's a problem.We've just about got on top of the 3rd party payments did us damage previously.
As for 'big names' leaving.............
How many players grew their fame at Melbourne,or resurrected themselves,which then led to them expecting or being offered BIG contracts.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I'd be very interested to see if the Titans are under any restrictions with the salary cap. If the figures and players are being signed are correct - they are being tempted with huge numbers. I think it's fair to say that the figure offered to Webster by the Titans was significantly larger than what he was originally seeking from Storm - and faced with that huge offer, the Storm could not match or better it.

It's worth saying again - Webster wanted to stay in Melbourne, Storm wanted him to stay. They were talking reasonable figures initially. Then the Titans weigh in with an increased figure five times what Webby was looking for. This is the line where a player stakes his claim as a Clubman, or a Mercenary.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

At the moment I can only see the Cap being a slight issue and not the reason why big named players are leaving.

The only one so far we can say that is because of the cap is Kidwell. Websters reason has been covered a couple of times by Buzz so no need to go on about that and I really don't think Hill leaving as anything to do with the cap at all.

If it was you would have heard about it just like everything else to do with him.

I think the only slight issue that might a raise is from from ensuring we keep some 'named' players of the likes of Slater, Smith and Inglis who we have signed for at least the next few years.

The 3rd party sponsorship issues have now stopped from what I understand as they mostly dealt with deals with Honda. Like the Roosters with City Ford, I believe that a couple of Honda Dealerships are still involved as advertisers (not sponsors) and therefor can have an agreement with a player which doesn't effect the 3rd party sponsorship rules.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Silkin
Squall
Squall

Also what about the possibiliyty of a contract that is loaded on performance ? IE Inglis etc.
I believe it was saying the issues are for 2008 not 2007 & with kiddy it was saying they recognised he was towards the end of his career & that they were giving him an option to look early becasue they would not have the $$ to offer in 2008 and if he found something now that was more attractive then they were ok with that.

Basically we can look form out here and make guesses but we havent looked at the books & the specific contracts so realy we only have hear say . from all parties.
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch