more negative press

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
tdcockers
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

please tell me that this wasn't anywhere obvious in the herald sun

leagues just a blip in victoria

when will the media compute - people become aware of what they are force fed by the media. if the media won't give any information about league, how are victorians supposed to become aware of it???

(yes, i know that is shocking grammar, but i am angry and in a hurry)
Op2musPrime
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Commonwealth Games will be tomorrow's fish and chip newspaper.  The Melbourne public is currently gushing over our Millionth Gold medal but by the time they switch off the lights at the MCG on Sunday night, M2006 will be a distant memory.

However, I wish Ch. Nein would show a Rugby League Magazine/ highlights show on the barren television wasteland of Saturday afternoon.
The NRL & Ch Nein has to partly bear the brunt of Storm/ NRL low profile.  Maybe more primetime advertising and less relegating the League sandwich in between Skincare infomercials and charismatic American bible bashers could help.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2211/stormma2.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6079/841159195219sx7.png[/img][/url]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The big mistake in the article is that the writer presumes that the lack of press correalates with the potential audience. My experience in melbourne over the last 3 years tells me there is a large untapped audience. To start off with there are plenty of Ex-pats from QLD and NSW as well as quite a large pacific Island pop. Chesterton takes the arrogant journalists postion that they report what the people want to hear, when the fact is the media reports what they, themselves find important.

Look no further than every election for an example, when we're told x and y issues are going to decide the election but after the vote the media is nearly always wrong about what decided the result.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Articles (ones that are spotted by Bai Stand news hunters anyway) are reproduced here for your conveniece to avoid failure of linkage. After a few weeks or sometimes days, articles would disappear off News Limited sites, so it's easier if you'd link to the mirrored version here.

Ray Chesterton's rambling.

We're still trying to figure out why it won't let you click the discussion link to get the article here.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
James
Squall
Squall

Just had a flick through the Hun in a cafe and I couldn't see it anywhere.  The article about this week's game was a single column with no picture.

The Games have crippled the Storm's presence in the papers, but the club should be writing press releases every day about whatever, so that at least they could have turned up in the place of the regular Stathi or Karl ones.  Last Saturday the only thing in the Hun was Kingy's article and there was nothing in The Age.  Pathetico!

Chesterton's misses the crux of the issue, which is that Victorians love Victoria.  The Games is us showing off to the world (ha!) and people feel good because of the organisational and sporting success.  League will always be a Sydney Thing and therefore shunned by Australia's most parochial city. 

When Melbourne is confident enough in itself to not have to be so defensive about everything that it didn't create, then the genius of league will be more appreciated.  Blah blah blah, etc.
lotti

hopefully some positive press will be heading the Storm's way, I see no reason why we wouldn't get behind the Cowboys' fundraising at this week's game I'm pretty sure Billy would want Storm managment to contribute something to it or maybe even go dollar for dollar with the Cowboys he is an Innesvale boy after all.  Was Greg Inglis scouted from that area as well?
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

lotti wrote: I see no reason why we wouldn't get behind the Cowboys' fundraising at this week's game
They are.
Storm boys to launch appeal for home crowd
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
lotti

I knew Billy would want to help, thank god his family is ok.  Billy you could've gone home a little earlier the guys would've understood.
Last edited by lotti on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

tdcockers wrote: please tell me that this wasn't anywhere obvious in the herald sun

when will the media compute - people become aware of what they are force fed by the media. if the media won't give any information about league, how are victorians supposed to become aware of it???

Shakes Head  :(
Just the type of article you'd expect from a die hard Rah Rah  ::)
"respected journalist" - pigs arse  :P
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

PD wrote:
tdcockers wrote: please tell me that this wasn't anywhere obvious in the herald sun

Shakes Head  :(
Just the type of article you'd expect from a die hard Rah Rah  ::)
"respected journalist" - pigs arse  :P
Damn straight PD, Chesterton respect rating would be lower than Anthony Mundine's and Mike Tyson's combined!