Storm vs. Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just thought I'd start this thread for any thoughts on the Broncos game.

Personally, I was pretty happy with the first half performance of the guys, despite the last second try to DeVere. But (as I mentioned in another post) it was the second half display from the Storm that gifted the Broncos the win.
An absolute shocker of a second half saw an 8-point lead erased in the first few minutes of the second stanza, and from there the Storm fell completely apart. Our only try came against the run of play until an 80th minute try to Matt King (I'm not sure if this was against the run of play, because I turned the TV off with around 7 or 8 minutes to go in the game - after a Tallis try ended all hopes of a comeback!! :evil: ).
Totally disgraceful second half performance, and one that will more than likely haunt the guys later in the season...

I'll more than likely write more once I have calmed down and are thinking perhaps a little more rationally. :cry:
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

That Tallis try should never have happened. Robbie Kearns stood by and watched Tallis run through to ground the ball! What was he thinking?? And that earlier try from Brisbane that went to the video ref should never have been allowed (bloody Mander again). The Bronco's player dropped the ball. You could see his hand on the grass after he had dropped it. Overall very disappointing second half and the panthers next week *groan*.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

My thoughts on the game are not too depressing. We played great inventive footy, and but for a freakish bounce of the ball after the siren, we would have had an impressive 14 point lead at half time.

Where I thought things really turned around is when the foxtel commentators mentioned that Storm were playing with a two-man bench - with Turner injured (apparently a knee and ankle strain) and another player with an ankle injury. Shortly after this, Brisbane seemed to gain ascedancy over us.

I'd have to place blame on the foxtel guys then! :)

First half footy was great, second half was not through lack of trying - certainly Bells lack of game time may have proved crucial through several fumbles (he wasn't the only one - Robbo and Kaufusi came up with some too).

Whilst I know we lost - and god forbid - the Rabbits are going to be above us on the ladder - I hold out some hope that we'll come back stronger against the Panthers next week.
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

i agree with most of what has been said, its hard not too.
i just hope Turner and MacDougal have quick recoveries.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Buzz wrote:My thoughts on the game are not too depressing. We played great inventive footy, and but for a freakish bounce of the ball after the siren, we would have had an impressive 14 point lead at half time.
Yeah, but there were two occasions where the bounce of the ball prevented certain 4-pointers for the Broncos as well, so overall the luck factor I think evened itself out. The Broncos simply out-enthused our guys in the second half, and whenever our guys lose intensity/enthusiasm, you can pretty much write-off any chance of us winning.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

the handling was terrible in the second half....stupid off loads..when they should have just took the tackle.howe......well what can i say...he is S*** simple as that he is crap...my 13 year old sister is better then him.bell...shouldnt have been playing so early but cant blame him too much bellamy put him in....but the first half was great..slater was great under the high ball and was at his best in attack...hill played ok..kaufusi showed how good his handling was... :roll: defence was bad in teh second half..they would just stand there and watch tallis run through teh with no probs...the two injuries didnt help at all with hoffman on the wing....he has no speed at all..but hey cant blame him we were down on players at the time .i want to have one question answerd WHY CANT WE BEAT BRISBANE????we have their old assistant coach and still we have nothing on them.cooper and crockett in next week is the way bellamy should go.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Insomniac wrote:and whenever our guys lose intensity/enthusiasm, you can pretty much write-off any chance of us winning.
Agee with that entirely! Even with 8 minutes left on the clock there was still a remote sniff. I would have expected a team believing they have a chance to form scrums quickly to force the ref to blow time off. Nothing of that... Disappointing body language in respect of that.
tdcockers
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

agree with a lot of what was said. i was watching it with some good mates of mine (all broncs supporters though), and said to the after that try just before half time that the storm were going to get beaten - for the same reason insomniac gave.

still, i think we did ok, but i sincerly hope that injuries dont plague us again this year. at this stage, it is good to see scott hill still uninjured.

on the recovery, i heard on the channel 9 broadcast that they expect a medial ligament for turner, which is the same injury that has put johns and seage out for the season :cry:
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

It's not a medial ligament (at least not what the docs have reported). A strained ankle and knee.
Gostorm
Squall
Squall

I agree with most of the comments and the only thing I will add is 39 MISSED BLOODY TACKLES. Can somebody tell the players it is okay to tackle infact that is the object of the game when the opposition has the ball.
Matt King rules!!!!!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gostorm wrote:I agree with most of the comments and the only thing I will add is 39 MISSED BLOODY TACKLES. Can somebody tell the players it is okay to tackle infact that is the object of the game when the opposition has the ball.
Highlighting the dramatic drop in form once again, 31 of those missed tackles occured in the second half! :shock:
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

We lost that game in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

Melbourne just let the Brisbane fowards just roll over us.

It was disturbing to watch.
storm007
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I would also have to agree with everyome's comments, Hope Turner and MacDougal are back soon.
Missed tackles are a problem.
Bell will be better of after his first game back (hope so anyway).

Would like to think that the result could have been diffrent with a four man bench, the forwards must have been getting very tired.
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

I missed out on last weeks game due to work commitments and all week I was looking foward to seeing him play.

I enjoyed the 56 seconds he was on the feild.

Poor kid. Good luck with what is hopefully a speedy recovery. :D
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bell on the wing??? Kirk at lock???

Dropped ball, missed tackles, so many unforced errors....what the hell was in that ball??? Mexican jumping beans?!?

I'm not sure how the video ref decided on that try by the Broncos, he barely looked at it. I don't know if it was a try or not as we didn't see it from the right angle to be able to tell.

The only thing the Broncos can take from that game is the two points. They truly didn't win that match, the Storm gave it to them.

I thought Billy played very well, toss up between him and Ox for best Storm player. I was almost tempted to say Steve Turner. :wink:

NRL website game review states:
Lockyer came up with a solo try in the 67th minute before skipper Gorden Tallis beat Storm defenders Rodney Howe, Kirk Reynoldson, Cameron Smith and fullback Billy Slater three minutes later for a memorable try.
I wouldn't say Tallis beat any defenders, Billy was the only one making much of an attempt to stop him and what an attempt it was, pity Billy was too far away from Tallis.

Damn, I'm just looking at the stats, Matt King 9 missed tackles, Scott Hill & Kirk Reynoldson 4. Steven Bell 4 errors, Danny Williams 3.