No Major Sponsor

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common ... 88,00.html
Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said while the club was unlikely to have naming rights backer, it hoped to recruit a series of major financial supporters.
"We are close to having a substantial deal done and there are a few more in the pipeline"
Any spin he wants to put on it, we still don't have a reasonable level of sponsorship.
"At the moment we are looking at splitting our major, which I believe is the best way to get best value.

"The thing about this game there is so many different properties available. You have front of jumper, back of jumper, shorts, ground signage, posts. Rather than having one company dominating all of those we are looking to have up to four major partners."
Clubs have always split these sponsorships between several businesses. Storm used to have Honda, Addecco, Accpac as well as all the others on the signage around the ground. What is Waldron suggesting will be different?

"We are close?? We are looking at?? FFS!
To say I'm becomming rather concerned with Storm's leadership would be the understatement of the week.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
MONY
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

im confident Waldren will get his act together and a big sponser will come aboard.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

MONY wrote:im confident Waldren will get his act together and a big sponser will come aboard.
Gee, it must be nice where you live. How are the happy elves today?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Don't forget that Ribot and Co. took a couple of years to sign a MAJOR sponsor in Addecco (ie. shirt sponsor), their reason being they thought the jersey value was more than the $300,000 a year which they already had offers for. Didn't they end up getting something like $4 million over 3 years? Having the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne won't be helping matters at the moment either with sponsors already committed to that...

Mind you, its a worry considering everything else that isn't all that great at the club at the moment... and I didn't like that they "deliberately waited until the end of the year before entering the market." WTF? Why?
MONY
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

TC wrote:
MONY wrote:im confident Waldren will get his act together and a big sponser will come aboard.
what the lima lima lima duck is your problem now?
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

TC wrote:
Gee, it must be nice where you live.
You've clearly got no idea where this guy lives do you?
Many words to describe it but at the moment "nice" would not be one of them.

Oh and I believe the happy little elves are out meeting fuzzy snuggleduck today I just hoping they are all playing nicely for once. LOL

As for a major sponsor they will always find someone willing even if it takes a little longer than the fans expect. Quick get the unsponsored jumper while it lasts as you can use it even after the new sponsorship deal expires ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

TC wrote:
tell its better then living in the negative place you live. I think your making a big deal out of this...y.es a major sponsor is very VERY important but reading that article it seems waldron has everything under control...i have faith in him.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Same, hes done great with us so far, he wont let the team down!
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
James
Squall
Squall

IIRC, back in the superleague year the raiders were sponsored by News Classifieds (a news ltd company), who also owned the team. It'd be kind of embarrassing if the same thing happened to us...

Good luck, Brian!
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

KINGY wrote:tell its better then living in the negative place you live. I think your making a big deal out of this...y.es a major sponsor is very VERY important but reading that article it seems waldron has everything under control...i have faith in him.
I can see TC's concern !!

Brian Waldron's media release about 'sponsorship' is almost a clone of Dave Smorgan's when the Western Bulldogs had no sponsor.I had it from people within the Dogs that they really did have nothing happening and were deperate to get any kind of major sponsor on board................Interesting to note that the Western Bulldogs are STILL cash strapped - The difference being the government is supportive of an AFL team's problems :twisted:

With M2006 soaking up lots of heavy sponsor cash - The AFL soaking up left over heavy to medium sponsor cash - the NBL teams,(their latest team already HAS a major sponsor) & A league grabbing the scraps.........Signing up multiple mini sponsors is probably the only cash avenue left open to Storm.

On a side note.................
How does lack of sponsorship affect the release of 2006 Reebok on field gear for fans ?

I've tried to make this an objective view rather than a negative :wink:
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

it is a worry that we dont have a major sponsor yet. but reading what waldron said it sounds like he has it all under control...and alls im saying he is i have faith in waldron and instead of bagging him or going nuts over it(which im NOT saying anyone on this site is doing) i just put all my faith in him and hope he does whats best for the club..he knows more about what he is doing then all of us put together...i say let him do his job...if he doesnt do it then im on the bandwagon and ill give him the blasting he deserves, but untill then im going to wait and see...and hope that its all good at the end. he did say "We are close to having a substantial deal done".

i also see TC's concern...but as i stated above im just having a little bit more faith in brian.
Last edited by Super Cronk on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I went to the club today and saw some of the players and on their training tops it just said storm and reebok and had no other sponsors on it.

It looked pretty plain and disgusting.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bring on Round 1, 2006 so we can all focus on some bloody football instead of squabbling over corporate issues like this and memberships (yeah I know I am one of those :wink: ) and so on.

Cool thing is I've got one definite workmate agreeing to come along to SoO 3 with me, now to work on getting some more.
lotti

Andy don't you mean Bring on trial 1?
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

lotti wrote:Andy don't you mean Bring on trial 1?
Trial 1, and the other trials mean very little to me as there is absolutely no coverage of these in Victoria so the only news I get is the little that is posted on here by people that attend the trials. Also the trials, whilst an important part of preparation for the season to come, are nothing in the scheme of the NRL season.

My main concern at this early stage is where I'll be able to watch the games in Round 2 and 3 as they coincide with the Melbourne Commonwealth Games. Round 2 is especially important to me as I'll be at the MCG from about 9am til early afternoon. MCG events finish at 2pm and Storm game kicks off at 2:30pm.