WARREN RYAN'S Final System explored.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Should the Nrl adopt W Ryan's Finals System?

Poll runs till Sun Nov 08, 2037 6:19 am

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 6
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

From Nrl.com, what does everyone think?

WEEK ONE (same match-ups as AFL week one)
Friday night: top-ranked team (1) v fourth-ranked team (4)
Saturday afternoon: 6 v 7
Saturday night: 2 v 3
Sunday afternoon: 5 v 8
- lowest-ranked loser eliminated, highest-ranked winner advances to week three

WEEK TWO (three games instead of two)
Saturday afternoon: lowest-ranked loser of top four teams v highest-ranked winner of bottom four teams
Saturday night: highest-ranked loser of top four teams v lowest-ranked winner of bottom four teams
Sunday afternoon: remaining winner from top four teams v remaining winner of bottom four teams

WEEK THREE
Saturday night: highest-ranked winner from week one v lowest-ranked winner from week two
Sunday afternoon: highest-ranked winner from week two v second highest-ranked winner from week two

WEEK FOUR (grand final)
Sunday, October 3: two winners from week three

PROS AND CONS OF RYAN'S SYSTEM
Positives
- week one the same format as AFL's, with all four matches taking on more importance
- seven teams alive after week one, instead of six
- three matches in week two, with teams from top four against teams from bottom four
- teams 1-5 can't be eliminated in week one (teams 3-8 can be eliminated under McIntyre system)
- only top-ranked winner from week can earn a week off (like the minor premier under the old top-5 system)
- only teams 1-3 can earn a week off
- teams retain their minor premiership rank throughout finals

Negatives
- untested
- possible repeat of matches in weeks one and three
- minor premiers have a more difficult match in week one
- no home games for teams 3-4 in week one
- team 7 can lose in week one and survive
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Another issue that has been brought up with this finalis system is that the teams that are not in danger of elimination may 'tank' games depending on who their opposition would be the following week.

Though i do like the idea of three games in week 2.
*Champagne football*
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

My concern with this system is the possible repeat of games in weeks 1 and 3.

My preferred option is still the current AFL system. Although having 3 games in week 2 would be nice.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I've read a lot of conjecture on this topic and there are a lot of holes in it.

My biggest concern is that teams that finish 5th and 6th get home finals but teams that finish 3rd and 4th don't. I hardly see how that's fair for the teams and their supporters.

I much prefer the current finals system.

Surandy
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Prsonally I dont see a problem at all with the current finals system, I think its much better then Ryans' and the Afl's too for that matter.
Look at 2003 season the finals system worked so well that the 2 best teams in the league made it to the grand final. Both finishing 1 and 2 they were the form teams most of the year and carried it through, all other had a fair chance to make it.

Why fix it when it isnt broke!!!!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Whilst I am not a fan of the AFL, I do think that their system is fairer in that only the top four get a double chance... places more importance on the seasons results... The downside is the no home final for teams 3 and 4.

One thing I can't work out with this system as explained by Simo is that he has 3 teams winning from the bottom 4, how does that work????????
If it means what I think it means and that you can lose at position 7 and if results go the right way get a double chance, then I really think this system is a joke!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Definitely should use the AFL finals system, and have finals outside of Sydney too!!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lucas wrote:Definitely should use the AFL finals system, and have finals outside of Sydney too!!
I seem to recall reading that the reason there are no finals outside of Sydney after week 1 is due to contractual arrangements that are due to expire in either 2004 or 2005.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote:
Lucas wrote:Definitely should use the AFL finals system, and have finals outside of Sydney too!!
I seem to recall reading that the reason there are no finals outside of Sydney after week 1 is due to contractual arrangements that are due to expire in either 2004 or 2005.
I see, well let's not renew that contract then!! :lol:
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'd like to see home finals for the first and second week of the finals. It gives the clubs and the fans a bit of a reward for support and hard work all season.
*Champagne football*
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Fampa wrote:I'd like to see home finals for the first and second week of the finals. It gives the clubs and the fans a bit of a reward for support and hard work all season.
I agree.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Fampa wrote:I'd like to see home finals for the first and second week of the finals. It gives the clubs and the fans a bit of a reward for support and hard work all season.
And the third week too!! I have no problem with Sydney having the GF, but Preliminary finals should be home finals as well!!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Sydney should keep the grand final without a doubt, and I don't have a problem with the prelims being played there either. A bit of tradition is good to keep and the atmosphere up there leading up to prelim week would be better than down here if we had a game (unfortunately), but the first two weeks should definitely be home finals for the teams that earn them
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]