Waldron

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

To my surprise, Brian Waldron actually let me have a chat to him for a few minutes tonight! Last time I drunkenly chatted to an admin type person, it was the 2000 Presentation Ball, and Ribot didn't quite seem to enjoy my chat with him! :)

I raised a few issues with him, and thought I'd relay some of it back:

* Social Club - I informed Brian about how special our social club was, and how it is made that much better by inviting and welcoming opposition fans into our space. When I pointed out "Hat Man" who has made the trip for years, he asked if they had paid to get in, and if not, why not!!!! Doesn't look promising!

* Entertainment - it seems Brian and the All New Management Team (tm) have been unaware that in the past we have had bands play at games. Brian wondered when they could play considering we have pre-match games, and players warm up. I told him of Chump and others that would play after pre-game and before the big game. This is such an important aspect of the whole package of a game to non-NRL people. I hope we might see a band or two before the end of the year.

* Free Tickets - Brian is dead-set against the idea of giving free tickets out to encourage people to games. It follows with the idealogy of the past 7 years - free tickets devalue the members. I'm convinced that we need more crowds first - members will pay and will enjoy a better atmosphere through a larger crowd.

* 3 and 6 game memberships - Under Brian - these will never return. His aim is to convert each of these former members into season ticket holders. Good Luck!

* The New Place - We pressed Brian about the possibility of keeping one area of The New Place as a standing room area so it can be christened the Marcus Bai Stand. He said it was possible due to the plans not having been finalised yet. Let's hope so!

* Leaving the Corporates - We also invited Brian to come visit us in the Bai Stand to see what it's like, and what we try to do to improve the atmosphere at games. Will be interesting to see if he makes it for the next game.

* The Conflict - Brian disavowed all knowledge of any such conflict of interest (I asked him directly and blunty). He seemed to get very chummy in telling me not to believe every rumour and innuendo I had heard. Harumph!

And finally - some scuttlebutt on the side. I've heard a rumour which I forgot to ask Brian about - that the presentation ball for 2005 (maybe 2006 onwards) may only be accessible to corporates and that fans will not be invited / accepted. This is an UNCONFIRMED rumour.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

* Entertainment - it seems Brian and the All New Management Team (tm) have been unaware that in the past we have had bands play at games. Brian wondered when they could play considering we have pre-match games, and players warm up. I told him of Chump and others that would play after pre-game and before the big game. This is such an important aspect of the whole package of a game to non-NRL people. I hope we might see a band or two before the end of the year.
i think tis good to have bands there playing etc it gets the crowd more involved etc. BUT ...i think its prolly more important to have the youngsters game on before or a junior game on ..after all they are the future of rugby league down there. if there was some way to have a band and also still keep the pre-match games that would be awesome. maybe they could set up on the race track and play some music and sing while the players are warming up or 5 mins before the players run out, then continue it at halftime etc
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

That's the setup we've had in the past (and apologies if I didn't explain properly). We've had the pre-match game and then following that in the 20-30 minutes of nothing (where we used to have searching for crowd members for half time comps), we could have 3-5 songs from a band on a rolling platform performing on the racetrack. Never got in the way before.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Buzz wrote: * Free Tickets - Brian is dead-set against the idea of giving free tickets out to encourage people to games. It follows with the idealogy of the past 7 years - free tickets devalue the members. I'm convinced that we need more crowds first - members will pay and will enjoy a better atmosphere through a larger crowd.

* 3 and 6 game memberships - Under Brian - these will never return. His aim is to convert each of these former members into season ticket holders. Good Luck!
That is correct. He said admisstering 3-6 game memberships "was a nightmare".
I don't know why??? They enabled me to get non-full-members in cheaper so i loved them.
They won't give away free tickets claiming they cheapen the product they are trying to sell.
Buzz wrote:And finally - some scuttlebutt on the side. I've heard a rumour which I forgot to ask Brian about - that the presentation ball for 2005 (maybe 2006 onwards) may only be accessible to corporates and that fans will not be invited / accepted. This is an UNCONFIRMED rumour.
He wants to reward the suporters that are prepared to pay for extra attention.
Another example of this is he wants to introduce a forum that enables those that have paid for this privelige to hear the game plan and other details from a coach or support staff.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Buzz wrote:That's the setup we've had in the past (and apologies if I didn't explain properly). We've had the pre-match game and then following that in the 20-30 minutes of nothing (where we used to have searching for crowd members for half time comps), we could have 3-5 songs from a band on a rolling platform performing on the racetrack. Never got in the way before.
Waldron did (in my opinion) knock the past admin for this type of activity.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote:That's the setup we've had in the past (and apologies if I didn't explain properly). We've had the pre-match game and then following that in the 20-30 minutes of nothing (where we used to have searching for crowd members for half time comps), we could have 3-5 songs from a band on a rolling platform performing on the racetrack. Never got in the way before.
oh ok...then yeah if thats the case they should bring the bands back there is no reason not too! molly meldrum could prolly pull a few strings he is well known in the music business...if the club asked him then he could do that.

if there is 30 mins after the pre-match game the band would be perfect for pumping the crowd up..also...not many clubs do that...not only would you be paying to see the footy you would also see a mini concert ....
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
betweenthelies
Squall
Squall

i met a few friends there tonight that had probably never being there before....one of em was the face painted loud mouth dudes in the kingdom....obviously some promotion is working
Dance and laugh and play. ignore the message we convey.
It seems we’re only here to entertain.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

betweenthelies wrote:i met a few friends there tonight that had probably never being there before....one of em was the face painted loud mouth dudes in the kingdom....obviously some promotion is working
I wasn't aware there was any! :shock:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'll be bloody pissed off if the Presentation ball is not open to members (supporters)!!! And I know of a few people that have already bought outfits!!! I'm sure they'll be pissed too
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I asked if there was any chance of doing a membership / discounted sports ears promotion - and he seemed very interested in the possibilities! I hope to see something like that next year available - would be a good enticer to new fans!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I find it VERY hard to believe that Brian & the new ppl do not know what has gone on at previous games!!! :roll: That is basically admitting that they know virtually nothing about Storm at all! How can he say that when he has at this time at least 3 members of staff who have been there for the last couple of years with one of them actually having done game day events last season?? :?
As for the 'nightmare' involving 3 & 6 game memberships - what a load of CRAP!!!! I know exactly what goes into 'administering' those memberships (as having done them myself for 4 yrs (3 games) & 2 yrs (6 games) respectively) and if the current admin can't cope with that then they have very real problems in there!
Sounds to me Buzz that you got the same tripe Brian seems to be trotting out especially regarding the past administration. Blame the ones who can't defend themselves anymore. :roll:

One thing guys - I did not leave Storm on a bad note and I left 1 year before Brian stepped in so my comments regarding memberships and entertainment do not have any bearing about why I left. :) I do however, have regular contact with various past employees (including some of the 8 who have left Storm in the past 6 months!) and some current staff.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

* Leaving the Corporates - We also invited Brian to come visit us in the Bai Stand to see what it's like, and what we try to do to improve the atmosphere at games. Will be interesting to see if he makes it for the next game.

You probably aren't aware, but Brian Waldron does leave the corporate area and sit with the fans. He was behind us one game in the Lazo stand, and has been spotted out and about during the game.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Sorry I never quote, that's why it all came up as one.

The first paragraph is a quote, the bottom paragraph is MY response to it.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Speaking of getting to the fans, anyone found out who those people are who were walking around with writing pads making notes and filling in forms? We spotted one guy standing on the Bai stand making and noting observations.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tigger wrote:I find it VERY hard to believe that Brian & the new ppl do not know what has gone on at previous games!!! :roll: That is basically admitting that they know virtually nothing about Storm at all! How can he say that when he has at this time at least 3 members of staff who have been there for the last couple of years with one of them actually having done game day events last season?? :?
As for the 'nightmare' involving 3 & 6 game memberships - what a load of CRAP!!!! I know exactly what goes into 'administering' those memberships (as having done them myself for 4 yrs (3 games) & 2 yrs (6 games) respectively) and if the current admin can't cope with that then they have very real problems in there!
Sounds to me Buzz that you got the same tripe Brian seems to be trotting out especially regarding the past administration. Blame the ones who can't defend themselves anymore. :roll:

One thing guys - I did not leave Storm on a bad note and I left 1 year before Brian stepped in so my comments regarding memberships and entertainment do not have any bearing about why I left. :) I do however, have regular contact with various past employees (including some of the 8 who have left Storm in the past 6 months!) and some current staff.
Whilst reading your post I got the feeling that you were quite bitter toward Brian Waldron and Melbourne Storm for that matter , then you put in the little disclaimer at the bottom ( kind of).Do you feel that Brian Waldron is not taking the Storm in the right direction? I must say that I have only spoken to the man once , but I have the feeling( :? ) that he is not really popular with a lot of people!!
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]