Signings, Re-Signings and Releases

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Please keep all contract related articles and discussion in here. *updated regularly*

UPDATE:

Gains: Joel Thompson (Forbes), Michael Crocker (4yrs), James Aubusson (Roosters), Ben Cross (Raiders, 1yr), Garret Crossman (Panthers, 2yrs), Justin O'Neill (Hughenden-QLD), Ryan Gilbert (Bundaberg), Sam McPhail (Yeppoon), Cameron Steele (Yeppoon), Chris Walker (Roosters), Matthew Bartlett (Knights)
Losses: Josh Graham (union-western force), Steven Bell (Manly), Matt Orford (Manly), Alex Chan (Les Catalans ) Peter Robinson (Retirement), Nathan Friend (GC-2007), Robert Tanielu (Cowboys), Robbie Kearns (Retirement), Jamie McDonald (Toulouse), Tevita Metuisela(released)
Re-signed: Matt King (3yrs), Cam Smith (4yrs), Scott Anderson (2 yrs), Nathan Friend (1yr), Glenn Turner (1yr), Antonio Kaufusi, Greg Inglis(2009), brett white(end of 07), Cooper Cronk(3 yrs), Dallas Johnson(2 yrs)

-----------------------------------------------
Recruitment Information:

Joel Thompson (Forbes):

No pic.

Joel is in year 11. Has made  NSW(country) under 18's school boy championships, aswell as being selected in the under 18 state Catholic schools team.

He will join Storms feeder club Brisbane Norths in 18 months.

Michael Crocker (Roosters):

D.O.B: Jun 21, 1980

Place of birth: Auburn, NSW

Position: Second Row

Height:  187cm

Weight: 100kg

Aggressive back-rower has forged himself a reputation as one of rugby league's most feared players due to his up-front and in-your-face approach. Now a regular for QLD and Australia, Crocker is a vital cog in the Roosters machine - an inspiration to teammates.

Crocker will join the Storm squad next year, he has signed for 4 years.

James Aubusson (Roosters):

NO pic.

D.O.B: Feb 14, 1986

Place of birth: Castle Hill

Position: Half/Hooker

Height: 178cm

Weight: 75kg

Classy five-eighth who started the year in premier league, but now back in jersety flegg. Has a quality passing game, and is strong up top, ensuring he is hard to tackle.

James has represented Australian schoolboys and NSW U'19's.

He will join the Storm next year and is likely to be Cooper Cronks understudy.

Garrett Crossman(panthers):

D.O.B: 07/12/82

Place of birth: NSW

Position: Prop

Height: 189cm

Weight: 112kg

Garret is a strong frontrower who knows how to off-load.  He did not play first grade in 2003 but played a solid part in the Cougars march to the Premier League Grand Final.  When given a chance in 1st grade in 2004 he was good enough to cement himself into the squad for 2005. He has represented Australia in the Junior Kangaroos (2001).

Garret will join the Storm squad next year and has signed for 2 years.

Ben Cross (Raiders):

D.O.B:  6 December, 1978

Place of birth: Wagga Wagga NSW

Position: Prop

Height: 191cm

Weight: 109kg

Grew up playing on the south coast, but moved to Canberra in 2001. Played in France between the 2001-02 Australian seasons, winning a championship with Chattilon. Returned to Canberra in 2002 where he won a local premiership with the Queanbeyan Blues. Recruited by the Raiders in 2003 and was suspended in his first two NRL matches. The suspension from his NRL debut cost him his spot in the NSW Residents representative side. Part of Canberra’s 2003 Premier League premiership.

Ben has signed a 1 year contract with the storm and will join the squad next year.

Chris Walker(Roosters)

D.O.B:Feb 27, 1980

Birthplace: Brisbane, Queensland

Position: Wing/Centre

Height: 184cm

Weight:  96kg

Walker has played 6 games for QLD and 119 games in his career. Chris has signed on for 1 year on an incentive based contract.

Matthew Bartlett(knights)

D.O.B 11 March 1983

Birthplace _____

Position Second Row

Height  195cm

Weight  92kg

Bartlett joined the knights in 2002.  He has signed with the Melbourne Storm but  "may need time to develop, and make necessary adjustments to perform in the NRL".
Last edited by Super Cronk on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Steve Turner is off contract in 2006 isn't he? I seem to remember him being signed for 2 years in 2004. I wouldn't consider Joel Thompson as being a gain because he wouldn't even be joining the Devils until 2007. From your post:
Thompson, a year 11 student at Red Bend, has already signed a contract to join Melbourne Storm feeder club, Brisbane Norths in 18 months
18 months from now would be 2007.

You forgot Glen Turner in the off contract list.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeah turner is off contract his name got cut off..lol and yes steve is off contract in 2006...

jsut on joel it doesnt matter if we add players for 2006 and onwards...i might change the heading aswell...to cater for all signings after and before 2006
Last edited by Super Cronk on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

there i think ive fixed everything...its just that i had gathered everything from a number of different sites and some say different things to others and different people say different things..gets a bit confusing...

Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm expects to bolster its forward stocks today, with former Canberra prop Luke Davico set to sign a two-year incentive-based contract.

Contract talks with halfback Matt Orford continued yesterday. Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said talks had been positive, but no final decision was likely on Orford's future before the expiry of the anti-tampering deadline at the end of the month.

heraldsun.com.au

Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Melbourne may withdraw their offer to halfback Matt Orford if he hasn't re-signed by June 30 - a development that would make his move to South Sydney even more likely.

And it emerged last night that Orford was likely to be joined at Redfern by centre Steve Bell, a dark horse for a Queensland State of Origin berth.

The developments came as Gold Coast prepared to today unveil former Dally M gold medallist Preston Campbell as their first signing for 2007.

"We're happy to try and get something settled by June 30 or agree to part ways," said Storm chief executive Brian Waldron, who is to meet Orford's agent today. "I would have thought if it went past June 30, we would [face a] battle to keep him, for obvious reasons."

Asked if the offer to Orford would still be available after June 30, Waldron said: "Not sure yet. We'll try and get an answer by the end of this week. I think that's in everyone's interest."

Orford and Bell are close friends and Waldron admitted the latter was unlikely to re-sign before June 30. "Steve probably will go to market. We're comfortable with that situation," he said.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson has rubbished claims a deal has already been done with Orford and when asked about Bell last night, said: "If only it was true".

SMH.com.au

Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

STORM centre Steven Bell last night hotly denied reports linking him with a switch to South Sydney in 2006.

But he conceded his chances of staying in Melbourne are dwindling.

The strike centre said a magazine report claiming he had signed a two-year deal with the Rabbitohs was "rubbish".

But he confirmed he would enter the player market when the anti-tampering deadline expires at the end of the month.

"There have been a few clubs, I believe, that have expressed an interest to my manager," Bell said.

"But I haven't signed anything.

"The only decision I have made is to put myself on the market after June 30.

"I haven't given up hope of staying in Melbourne, but at this stage of my career this is an important contract for me."

Storm has tabled an offer for Bell, but insist they will not pay over the odds for the 29-year-old.

"Belly can probably command more than we are offering at the moment," Storm's manager of football operations Peter O'Sullivan said.

"Some clubs, and Souths are one of them, are cashed up and they are willing to pay over the odds to attract players. It makes it very tough to hang on to them."

Storm halfback Matt Orford has also been linked to a big money offer at Souths.

O'Sullivan stopped short of accusing the Rabbitohs of breaching anti-tampering laws.

"It is hard to know what is fact and fiction at this time of year," O'Sullivan said. "But, generally, where there's smoke there's fire."

heraldsun.com.au

Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis, Turner, Slater, Webster, King, all backline players much younger than Bell with Geyer still there too. If Bell goes, we'll have adequate replacement for him next season. This contract could be his last, sounds as though the club's not trying hard to keep him either. Almost like they're trying to force him out and be able to say "it was his choice to leave." Doubt he will stay. Good luck to him in the future.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Being 29, there is a pretty good chance that this will be Bell's last contract. As it stands at the moment I can't see him staying and I'm not all that phased about it. Had he been 25 then I'd hope that Melbourne were going all out to sign him.

With Inglis, Slater, Turner and Webster (who is a centre remember) all younger than him, I'm confident Melbourne can cover Bell's loss.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeah it will be sad to see bell leave...but if he can more money elsewhere and its last contract then good luck to him. alot of teams will be after him so there is no chance of being left out.

also as earl said we have millions of good young players that could fill his boots ..im sure just like with swain, bai, moule that the next player to fill the spot will be better or the as the same.

Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

How about;

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer/Greg Inglis
3. Jake Webster
4. Matt King
5. Steve Turner
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd be more like:

1. Billy
2. Turner/Inglis
3. Boofa
4. Kingy
5. Jake

Turner/Inglis could be more utilised on the wing, and Jake's kick returns are becoming stronger and stronger. Of course, they normally interchange throughout the game between wing and centre as it is.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

webby's defence is a problem at times tho....team him up with a good defender like kingy

Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Less tries and line braks have come down his side than the other one.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

oh..i must have them mixed up...but i thought geyers defence was a bit better this year