Cam not far off re-signing

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm signs Smith for three years

Melbourne's signing of coach Craig Bellamy for a further three years is set to pay off with the retention of Queensland hooker Cameron Smith for the same period.

Smith is off contract at the end of the National Rugby League season and has been stalling on a new deal pending the outcome of talks with Bellamy.

But the Storm announced it had retained Bellamy until the end of 2007, clearing the way for Smith to ink a new contract.

Smith's manager Jim Banaghan met with Storm recruiting manager Peter O'Sullivan and believes the parties are edging towards an agreement.

"I would say we'd like to think after the meeting that both us and Melbourne are comfortable," Banaghan said.

"I'd like to think we're not far off but Cameron wants to link his tenure the same as the coach.

"He's a big fan of the coach."

Smith was one of the finds of last season, making a full-time home at hooker in Melbourne and going on to make his debut for Queensland in the third game of the State of Origin series.

The 20-year-old starred in that match, scoring a try as the Maroons won 36-6 at Suncorp Stadium.

"At this stage I think we're close to a resolution," Banaghan said.

"I'd like to think within the next month the edges are tidied up and it's done ... because he's comfortable to do it sooner rather than later.

"He's very happy (in Melbourne)."

©AAP 2004
Great news if this happens. 8)
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Onya Smithy
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

:D
cam...is a legend hope he signs.........we need him...
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He has signed til the end of 2007!!!! Matt King also signed for two years, as did Hoffman which was previously mentioned by Buzz! :D :D
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
storm007
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

steaming stormer wrote:He has signed til the end of 2007!!!! Matt King also signed for two years, as did Hoffman which was previously mentioned by Buzz! :D :D

If this is true this is great for the future of the Storm :D :D :D
storm007
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just read it on the MSSC website
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hot on the heels of Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy re-signing with the National Rugby League club earlier this week, several of the Storm's young guns, including Queensland hooker Cameron Smith, have re-signed today.

Smith, along with back-rower Ryan Hoffman and centre Matt King have all signed with the Storm less than 48 hours after Bellamy inked a three-year contract extension, keeping him in Melbourne until at least 2007.

20-year-old Smith has signed on for a further three years meaning he too will be with the club until at least 2007, while both Hoffman and King have committed to two-year deals.

Smith took all before him in his debut NRL season last year, playing a vital role in the Storm's fifth-placed finish and making a stunning State-of-Origin debut for Queensland.

According to one of the game's most exciting prospects, leaving Melbourne at the end of 2004 was never an option.

"I didn't really want to change clubs and I was keen to continue to cement my spot here in Melbourne," Smith said.

"There's a really good bunch of blokes at the club and a feeling that we can perhaps achieve something special in the years to come.

"Melbourne is a really good city with good people and great supporters, which certainly contributed to my decision."

Smith believes Melbourne's extensive crop of young guns points to a bright future in the southern capital.

"Last season when we had a long list of injuries, the younger guys stepped up and showed that we can play," Smith added.

"With the next breed of players coming through in Melbourne I think everyone should be excited with what's going to happen down here in the future."

His commitment to a contract extension was finalised following Bellamy's re-signing midweek.

"When Craig signed on for another three years it was definitely an incentive to stay with him and with the club," Smith said.

"Since he's joined the club there's been a different feel around the place and some of the older guys are saying it feels like 1999 again in some ways.

"Hopefully if we can play well enough we might get a premiership down the track but I'm just happy to stay for another three years.

"Craig is all about attitude and work ethic and that's what I like about him."

Hoffman, a Junior Kangaroo, and King, acquired by Melbourne halfway through last year, are set for big things with the Storm.

After breaking into the NRL for the Storm's final four matches last year, King is intent on cementing his place in the side while Hoffman is looking to build on a excellent debut season that saw him play 14 first-grade games in 2003.

The Storm finalise preparations for Sunday's season opener against the Newcastle Knights (Olympic Park, 2.30pm) with a training session tomorrow morning (11.00am, Olympic Park).

melbournestorm.com.au.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
3 gone billy to go........ :wink:
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

What a great way to end the working week!!!

You f@#king bewdy!!!!!!

:D :twisted: :D

Bring on Sunday I say, the news just keeps getting better and better, apart from Robbie Ross :cry:
tdcockers
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

i dont think sir andy has ever been so excited. i shudder to think what will happen should slater re-sign after the game friday, i think the nearest person to him might get a big hug and kiss :shock: