Your fave Broncos victory...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

What's been your most memorable victory by the Storm against the Broncos?

Poll runs till Tue Jul 03, 2040 3:23 pm

March 21, 1999: Storm 48-6 @ ANZ Stadium (first win against the Broncos)
6%
May 2, 1999: Storm 28-18 @ Olympic Park (first home win)
No votes
May 21, 2000: Storm 16-12 @ Olympic Park ("Norths" vs "Clydesdales")
50%
July 29, 2001: Storm 32-28 @ Colonial Stadium (Biggest Crowd under the roof)
6%
September 11, 2004: Storm 31-12 @ Suncorp Stadium (Semi-Final victory)
22%
April 2, 2005: Storm 50-4 @ Olympic Park (Last start Bronco flogging!)
17%

Total votes: 18
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

No need to dwell on losses, draws or stupid golden point games...

Just what do you think was the best or most memorable Storm victory of the BrisVegas Broncos?

Expand on your vote if you please... :)
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Colonial,...... Such a tight and gripping game.....

Although I had the best seat in the house for this game..... What a flogging. :lol:
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

My scale would be like this:
1. Devils vs Clydesdales. Probably the most interesting game of the round that year because both teams had to resort to their second string sides with the seniors on Origin duty. Peter Robinson's last minute try is what made it very memorable following a tightly contested match.

2. 2004 Semi.
Wasn't there to watch it live but it was the best second half comeback since vs parra in 2002.

3. Colonial Stadium
Best game at Docklands, felt like a night game despite daylight, great atmosphere and the only Docklands game with the seats pushed in.

4. Broncos worst loss ever
At the back of a shock loss against manly and broncos' biggest win of the year so far, everything seemed to be going against us but flogging a dead horse (sorry :lol: ) was nothing anyone ever really expected. A close game would probably have been more satisfying. This one was like a full strength Melbourne Storm side playing against Toowoomba A Grade.

As for the other two, I wasn't following the Storm that closely back then (only started following religiously around June '99) so I have no real attachment to them.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
nev
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Peter Who???? Peter Robinson!!! Need I say any more.

Best Bronco's game for mine..
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hmm, like Thunderstruck I can't really comment on the couple of games. For me it was a very hard decision between the last three victories.

1. Storm finals win in Brisbane. Was awesome to win on their turf and the atmosphere around us Storm supporters was electric. Great to have the Storm players running straight at us in the second half. Fantastic atmosphere after the game walking back to the pub to celebrate.

2. Last night's game. More to do with the emotion of Lazzo and T than the actual game though. Although I very much enjoyed the game.

3. Storm win at Docklands. The seats being pushed in gave that game atmosphere, the only time I noticed any at Docklands. That place, like OP was a graveyard, but for the wrong reasons.
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've gone for the flogging of '99, when he slaughtered them on their own turf. But I really did enjoy the Norths win over the Clydesdales too, closely followed by the semi, and for the sole reason of that beautiful work of Robbie Ross to give Geyer a try the Colonial one in 4th. (Last nights game would have to be number 2 on the list though) But I would've put the draw in 2000 number 3 on the Storm/Broncos game list of favourites.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I went for the finals game last year. I'm biased coz I love only having to travel 20kms to see them win.

But you gotta love winning when it matters, in the finals.
*Champagne football*
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

nev wrote:Peter Who???? Peter Robinson!!! Need I say any more.

Best Bronco's game for mine..
Image I reckon you'd have to have been there,but that was such a wonderful victory.
When Robbo went over I thought the bear hug my brother gave me had cracked a couple of ribs..............but I didn't care 8)
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

nev wrote:Peter Who????
Ditto. What a game.

Last night follows a close second though. A really comprehensive display.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

was that the game at the old social club where evryone sang here's to you peter robinson...?
or was that another game
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

As previously mentioned, beating the Broncos is gold (can't help but do that actions :lol:), I'm also plumping for the Devils v Clydesdales game, slightly ahead of our first win against the Broncos at ANZ Stadium.

Most things about the Robbo try has been mentioned, but I'll expand on the 1999 flogging for those who haven't been avid Storm fans for a while.

It was Round 3 in 1999, we were LIVE into Melbourne on Channel 9 (those were the days) and it was one of our first Nine Sunday Football games. We were coming off a nasty loss at Balmain in Round 2 after flogging the Panthers to open the season at Olympic Park. Meanwhile the reigning Premier Broncos had reasons to fire up, having been beaten away to Canberra and at home to Cronulla.

At 18-6 at half time the Nine commentators still gave the Broncos every chance of beating the Storm, like they had twice in 1998, including ending our season at the SFS in the semis 30-6.

But in the second half, led brilliantly by Brett Kimmorley and with Robbie Ross playing one of his blinders, the Storm ran riot in the second half and were as hot as the Brisbane weather almost scoring tries at will.
Only for a cruel refereeing decision (c'mon Bill, let us score 50! :lol:) in the final moments as the Storm began playing razzle dazzle, we were denied the half-century. By the end of the game we even had Sterlo willing us on!

The stats from that game were amazing, it was the highest score conceeded by the Broncos, only the second time in their history a team had put 40+ on them (first was Norths, May 1993).

Melbourne Storm 48
Robbie Ross 2, Tawera Nikau, Scott Hill, Paul Bell, Tony Martin, Brett Kimmorley, Wayne Evens tries; Matt Geyer 8 goals.
defeated
Brisbane Broncos 6
Kevin Campion try, Darren Lockyer goal.

Good thing was we followed it up the next week with a tight win over the Bulldogs at Olympic Park in (from what I can remember), bitterly cold and windy conditions... knowing my memory it was probably raining too.
Meaning of course we had beaten the 1998 Grand Finalists in consecutive weeks.

Those were the days... let's bring 'em back in 2005 Stormers!!!
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

thinga87 wrote:As previously mentioned, beating the Broncos is gold (can't help but do that actions :lol:), I'm also plumping for the Devils v Clydesdales game, slightly ahead of our first win against the Broncos at ANZ Stadium.

Most things about the Robbo try has been mentioned, but I'll expand on the 1999 flogging for those who haven't been avid Storm fans for a while.

It was Round 3 in 1999, we were LIVE into Melbourne on Channel 9 (those were the days) and it was one of our first Nine Sunday Football games. We were coming off a nasty loss at Balmain in Round 2 after flogging the Panthers to open the season at Olympic Park. Meanwhile the reigning Premier Broncos had reasons to fire up, having been beaten away to Canberra and at home to Cronulla.

At 18-6 at half time the Nine commentators still gave the Broncos every chance of beating the Storm, like they had twice in 1998, including ending our season at the SFS in the semis 30-6.

But in the second half, led brilliantly by Brett Kimmorley and with Robbie Ross playing one of his blinders, the Storm ran riot in the second half and were as hot as the Brisbane weather almost scoring tries at will.
Only for a cruel refereeing decision (c'mon Bill, let us score 50! :lol:) in the final moments as the Storm began playing razzle dazzle, we were denied the half-century. By the end of the game we even had Sterlo willing us on!

The stats from that game were amazing, it was the highest score conceeded by the Broncos, only the second time in their history a team had put 40+ on them (first was Norths, May 1993).

Melbourne Storm 48
Robbie Ross 2, Tawera Nikau, Scott Hill, Paul Bell, Tony Martin, Brett Kimmorley, Wayne Evens tries; Matt Geyer 8 goals.
defeated
Brisbane Broncos 6
Kevin Campion try, Darren Lockyer goal.

Good thing was we followed it up the next week with a tight win over the Bulldogs at Olympic Park in (from what I can remember), bitterly cold and windy conditions... knowing my memory it was probably raining too.
Meaning of course we had beaten the 1998 Grand Finalists in consecutive weeks.

Those were the days... let's bring 'em back in 2005 Stormers!!!
Ahh, the good old days. And what a tremendous game it was. I don't suppose anyone has a copy on tape and able to help me out with getting a copy? My tape was worn out and destroyed a couple of years ago. :cry: :cry: :cry:
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I've only got the 1999 Storm season highlights VHS to give me my fix of that game now :(
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That I'd hate. After that tape I had wore out, I made sure to make back up copies of the final series for that year. Now I have I think 3 copies of all games in the finals series (the important ones of course, being just the ones Melbourne played in. :lol: :lol: :lol:
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm immediately going shopping for a DVD recorder to get this game on tape... don't think I'll be able to open the wallet enough though! :lol: