Round 5 vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Because the NRL actually has no idea what a forward pass is or should be
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

While on the please explains: Can someone tell me why on Thursday night the Broncos kicked it out on the full from a restart and it was a play the ball from where the ball went out, not a plenty from halfway, "because the rule had changed". But last night the Bulldogs kicked the ball out on the full from a restart and it was a plenty from halfway. Has the rule only chnged when playing in Melbourne or when Klien is the referee, but it is the same as always in Syndey.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:16 am While on the please explains: Can someone tell me why on Thursday night the Broncos kicked it out on the full from a restart and it was a play the ball from where the ball went out, not a plenty from halfway, "because the rule had changed". But last night the Bulldogs kicked the ball out on the full from a restart and it was a plenty from halfway. Has the rule only chnged when playing in Melbourne or when Klien is the referee, but it is the same as always in Syndey.
Tin foil hat off lol. Different rules for doing a short kickoff
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:38 am
glennb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:16 am While on the please explains: Can someone tell me why on Thursday night the Broncos kicked it out on the full from a restart and it was a play the ball from where the ball went out, not a plenty from halfway, "because the rule had changed". But last night the Bulldogs kicked the ball out on the full from a restart and it was a plenty from halfway. Has the rule only chnged when playing in Melbourne or when Klien is the referee, but it is the same as always in Syndey.
I don't know but I guess it's a penalty for the ball not travelling ten metres?
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:49 am Can someone explain to me why on earth forward passes are not reviewed by the bunker when scored from!
This is a tricky one and as far as I'm concerned, until they have NFL style cameras all along the side lines the rule can stay as it is. The ONLY time you get a true idea is if the pass is thrown right in line with the camera at half way and even then can be difficult to judge if the player gives it just as tackled.

Think back to the 99GF and Imagine if they allowed the bunker to review "that pass" (that the Dragons are probably still crying about) based on the camera angle. Sideline centre of field camera looked miles forward, blimp(?) camera immediately above showed it clearly backwards.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:38 am
I’m not sure of the rule either?

Other teams this round kicking out on the full (from a restart/halfway) have been penalised (56th minute Dogs v Roosters). How is “short kickoff” determined?

So if it goes out having not made 10m it’s a play the ball where the ball crooses the line, but if it goes out on the full at 12m it’s a penalty on halfway?

That seems like a really dumb rule that rewards teams for a worse kick?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was thinking the same thing.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:49 am Can someone explain to me why on earth forward passes are not reviewed by the bunker when scored from!
In the NRL rules the bunker can't rule on forward passes. I assume as pointed out by others because of the deceptiveness of camera angles.

In Rugby Union the TV Match Official can rule on forward passes.

I don't see why the bunker can't rule on forward passes under the following parameters:

- if it is an obvious forward pass rule on it;
- if video is inclusive, benefit of doubt goes to the attacking team.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm forward Trent Loiero was charged with Dangerous Contact following Thursday night's win over the Broncos.

The incident involving Broncos lock Pat Carrigan in the 44th minute of the clash at AAMI Park has been assessed as a Grade 1 offence and carries a $1000 fine with an early guilty plea. 

If he fights it and loses he pays $1,500. This was for a hip drop.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Why was no charge given to the Broncos player who clotheslined Coates?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:19 pm Why was no charge given to the Broncos player who clotheslined Coates?
No idea.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:19 pm Why was no charge given to the Broncos player who clotheslined Coates?
And after the hit, Jordan Riki compounded the offence by trying to pick Xav up by the jersey while he was lying face down on the ground. Could easily have been construed as a contrary conduct action by Riki.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sailor not getting fined for throwing away Papenhuyzen's boot is a joke too
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bullucked wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:02 am
This is a tricky one and as far as I'm concerned, until they have NFL style cameras all along the side lines the rule can stay as it is. The ONLY time you get a true idea is if the pass is thrown right in line with the camera at half way and even then can be difficult to judge if the player gives it just as tackled.

Think back to the 99GF and Imagine if they allowed the bunker to review "that pass" (that the Dragons are probably still crying about) based on the camera angle. Sideline centre of field camera looked miles forward, blimp(?) camera immediately above showed it clearly backwards.
Exactly so. The effects of perspective and parallax make it very difficult to judge from camera footage - you can actually make a better judgement live at the game because you have both depth perception and the advantage of a wider field of view. The rule makes it even more difficult to judge as allows for momentum, so it's "backwards from the hands" not backwards from the point where the ball is passed. The ONLY ways to accurately measure if a pass is forward are a highly sensitive accelerometer at the exact centre of the ball (because imparted spin would alter the calculation if the sensor were on the surface of the ball) or extremely detailed laser analysis of the ball and the players hands at the moment of passing. Either of these would be a very significant expense. I know that a couple of times the NRL has tried accelerometer technology in the off and pre-seasons and both times decided against it.

Personally, I'm VERY happy the bunker can't rule on forward passes. One less thing for them to muck up.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like Bradley played on the wing in q cup today. Are they looking at options to drop Warbrick after his shocker perhaps?