Round 5 vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We played the other top 4 sides in the first month of the season, beat them all and shut the premiers out, it sounds amazing but we have a long way to go still.

I need to single out Jahrome Hughes this season, he is so so so important to what we do well, when he is off the whole team is, jeez he has turned into a brilliant player, him and Cleary are levels clear of the rest of the half backs out there, what a player.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:06 am
riders of the storm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:11 pm Brisbane ..... and early kicks which caused a lot of trouble. I think that’s why the wingers got caught out a bit as it’s against what they typically face.
Why oh why don't we do this, and, thank God more teams don't do it against us.

Put yourself on the wing, and your inside man from there, do you come up or stay back.

Usually you're up and drop back late, a few early kicks in the game and you've got to decide. A VERY CRAFTY half back like Reynolds (and Cleary) who can both pinpoint kicks and passes and what do you do?

As for not catching the bomb, Paps does it just as everyone does (maybe conveniently forgotten) just this time it is scored.

It absolutely infuriates me that they let it bounce and if Bellamy didn't like it I'm sure they'd all be attempting the catch.
Letting the ball bounce we have occasionally when it could've been caught for a long time, why? Effed if I know why but we've had the same coach for a long time. (I'd love to know his personal opinion about it, anyone remember his form under the high ball?)
It’s definitely something they’ll probably need to look at. Maybe dropping back a bit deeper instead of standing at the line on the forth tackle. That’s also a coaching tactic though as I think generally the Melbourne wingers (going back to the days of Sisa Waqa etc) are generally coached to come in and pressure the centres and halves at the cost of leaving the wing open. That leaves two players (Hughes and Papenhuyzen) to basically clean up the open defender or any kicks. Best example of this was the tackle Hughes made on one of the Warriors wingers a few weeks back to save a try.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder if Welch simply got fewer minutes because Tui was going so well and they wanted to leave him on?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:07 pm I wonder if Welch simply got fewer minutes because Tui was going so well and they wanted to leave him on?
Our forwards rotation really shows just how crucial NAS is to the team and that the club needs a succession plan for when he's not here anymore or playing to the required level in the future.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well it was very clunky , but I am taking the glass-half-full view.
1. We won.
2. Paps has now played four games in a row: confidence must be growing.
3. First time we have had our best 1,6,7 and 9 together for a long time.
4. Jack Howarth - could this finally be the start of something?
5. We overcame Klein. Generally speaking, refs do a good job of what is a tough gig , but there are two refs who , for whatever reason , inevitably gave/give the Storm a raw deal . One is Sean Hampstead from back in the day ( and Paul Simpkins in the 06 grand final) ; the other is Ashley Klein. If Klein had had the 99 grand final, he would have ruled at the end that Craig Smith knocked on, Ainscough was just contesting the ball fairly, Dragons ball, game over ( no challenges in those days).
6. As someone else has said, we beat the two teams that absolutely embarrassed us in the finals last year.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss I think you can add Steve Clark to that list of referees.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We have had some rough refereed games over the years (06GF definitely one), but nobody, NOBODY, compares to Klein. His consistency to screw us is unmatched.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shayne Hayne was a bit dodgy too
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ok, I forget about Hayne lol.

Despised his ability and arrogance. Still not as bad as Klown.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kevin Walters is sooking about our wrestling 🙄
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:37 pm Kevin Walters is sooking about our wrestling 🙄
Any potential wrestling by Storm was matched and outdone by the 2nd and 3rd efforts in tackles by Broncos players that weren't penalised last night (I think there was one paid against Walters on Pappy by Klein and that was so obvious, Klein would have had to leave the field and go home if he didn't blow the penalty).

The number of times Storm players should have been called held and weren't....and then Broncos players kept going back for repeat efforts was insane.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:02 pm We have had some rough refereed games over the years (06GF definitely one), but nobody, NOBODY, compares to Klein. His consistency to screw us is unmatched.

Never ever forget who was the video referee in that game. I can forgive on field refereeing but the video ref should never get it that badly wrong (both the TV broadcasters and ABC commentators all disagreed with his decisions)

Any guesses who it was, I'll give a clue, a referee with a bigger ego than the game itself.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:37 pm Kevin Walters is sooking about our wrestling 🙄

Unfortunately, but planned by Kevvie, this will reignite the agenda for the coming year.

Cue the vitriol
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:27 pm
yourhero wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:02 pm We have had some rough refereed games over the years (06GF definitely one), but nobody, NOBODY, compares to Klein. His consistency to screw us is unmatched.

Never ever forget who was the video referee in that game. I can forgive on field refereeing but the video ref should never get it that badly wrong (both the TV broadcasters and ABC commentators all disagreed with his decisions)

Any guesses who it was, I'll give a clue, a referee with a bigger ego than the game itself.
Bill Harrigan
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Can someone explain to me why on earth forward passes are not reviewed by the bunker when scored from!