Round 5 vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:11 pmand it was good to see Howarth get some minutes.
He didn’t get a lot of time, but looked good in what he did get. Hopefully gets some more time in first grade.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It doesn't seem like Blore can do the full 80 so he may get some minutes off the bench if he performs since it looks like there's a spot for a second rower available. Really liked Blore's game tonight though, much better than last week, looks like a weapon if he's going to play that way.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I thought Paps looked a little off, he didn’t have his usual zip and wasn’t really much of a threat all night.

Hughes was elite, Munster steady in his return. Grant faded late, might need to look back into starting Garlick for the opening 20 and then bringing him on was very effective last season.

Tui was great in the pack, as was Elisea, infact most of the team stood up tonight, Warbrick and Meaney both had games to forget and still questions on Trent’s spot out there, he was ok but if you look at Howarth's build, an ex centre with his motor surely he is a better option at 13.

I know it’s a sore subject at the moment but I would love to see NAS back into the fold sooner rather than later, his size and threat close to the line is something we dearly miss, the guys are playing hard but some tactics need tinkering, we are on top of the table but we’ve also conceded 32 and 26 in 2 of our wins this season, it’s not going to cut it later on when the whips are cracking.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Trent tries his arse off but a pillow with legs would cause more damage on hit ups.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Te Kura is an absolute beast, had he had more ball he would have put us away, without a shadow of a doubt.

I would have really loved NAS up against him too.

As said before, given Broncos multi million dollar injury lists, our inclusions, a home track, coming off a bye - this result is not confidence building.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If Fa’alogo is fit next week do we finally use him? Kid played one half for the bears and scored a hat trick before his injury.

He is too good to keep playing in reserves, the time to make the big call is now, Warbrick out Sua in.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m genuinely unsure what to make of that one. I thought we were pretty good? Built pressure, scored points, the forwards were great? Brisbane have a ton of talent right across the park and caused plenty of issues all night. I don’t think the defence was bad bad but certainly some individuals would like some moments back.

Not great that we needed another late comeback and at some point those games catch up to you. In the moment I thought Warbrick not catching that kick on the full was a droppable offense. I doubt he does but I’d love to know how that goes when the team reviews the game.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought it was a high quality game by both teams, other than a 10 minute period in the second half.

Great to see the Storm doing more attacking kicks for our wingers, led to two tries tonight. Xavier's high leap and catch was awesome.

Jahrome's pass to Katoa for his second try was great too.

At least two of the Broncos tries were elite.

I love Will Warbrick but cardinal sin not to catch that on the full, particularly when there was no real pressure from the Broncos. Some quality passing by the Broncos would have found many wingers out.

Agree in the second half we got Kleined, how he penalised Munster for taking the ball from the winger. Surely he could have called it no try and sent it upstairs.

Jack was good when he was on, made a good run before Wishart's try. Great strength by Wishart to get over the line. He was very confident when he got up, glad one camera angle showed him getting it down.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Klein is corrupt. I'd love a proper investigation to be done into him
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:09 pm Ashley Klein deserves a lot of pain in his life.
He was superb for the Ponies tonight…
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:12 pm No Haas. No Walsh. Reynolds missing in the second half. Piakura out. Willison out. At AAMI Park. Almost back to complete full strength Storm.

32 points conceded and we barely scrape home…

A bit worrying to be honest.
This has gotta be the key information to be taken from this game.
Reynolds going off at half time, if we can't beat them without their coach we'll never beat them.
A long way to go
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

riders of the storm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:11 pm Brisbane ..... and early kicks which caused a lot of trouble. I think that’s why the wingers got caught out a bit as it’s against what they typically face.
Why oh why don't we do this, and, thank God more teams don't do it against us.

Put yourself on the wing, and your inside man from there, do you come up or stay back.

Usually you're up and drop back late, a few early kicks in the game and you've got to decide. A VERY CRAFTY half back like Reynolds (and Cleary) who can both pinpoint kicks and passes and what do you do?

As for not catching the bomb, Paps does it just as everyone does (maybe conveniently forgotten) just this time it is scored.

It absolutely infuriates me that they let it bounce and if Bellamy didn't like it I'm sure they'd all be attempting the catch.
Letting the ball bounce we have occasionally when it could've been caught for a long time, why? Effed if I know why but we've had the same coach for a long time. (I'd love to know his personal opinion about it, anyone remember his form under the high ball?)
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Welchy on played 23 minutes the whole game …bit strange
And he wasn’t injured cause he ran extras after the game with howarth who only played 17 minutes

Both ran for an extra 10ish minutes while the others walked around / chatted to the broncos on the field
CJB_1188
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Bullucked wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 am
yourhero wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:12 pm No Haas. No Walsh. Reynolds missing in the second half. Piakura out. Willison out. At AAMI Park. Almost back to complete full strength Storm.

32 points conceded and we barely scrape home…

A bit worrying to be honest.
This has gotta be the key information to be taken from this game.
Reynolds going off at half time, if we can't beat them without their coach we'll never beat them.
A long way to go
We did beat them..
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Looking back on this - I think a lot of people are getting swept up in the outs for Brisbane.

Have to remember: wins at this time of the year are so important for the big sides (like Brisbane and Penrith, Roosters, Cowboys) due to the rep period. That’s a huge win to have under the belt because likely Brisbane will be vying for a similar position on the ladder to Melbourne at the end of the season.

Secondly, Brisbane and Penrith spanked Melbourne at the back end of last year. To have scalped both of them to start the season is an excellent result regardless of who was available.