Round 2 - Storm vs Warriors @ AAMI Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't trust the impartiality of the judiciary. I'd take the week. Play Wishart in the halves where he's played really well before - including last year's finals and put Sua (who got a hat trick today) onto the bench.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

From what I remember Luai pushes the touch judge out of the way deliberately to get to one of his players.

How about Pezet in the seven, Paps in the six and Sua in the one. I would like that
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Personally, I don't want Paps making 30 tackles in the front line.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It just happens to be the same ref for both chargers. Chris Butler. Maybe the ref is always in the wrong spot :)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would sincerely hope there's a thorough review of his game lasf night. A couple of very strange decisions made both ways
CJB_1188
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

We Struggled to make it out of our half in the second 40 but I think that was due to Welch failing his HIA 10 minutes in which ruined our middle rotation with only one other middle on the bench. We still have NAS, Blore and Welch to come back into this forward pack. We’re looking good
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

But earlier in the round a ref got in the way on a scoring play and they pulled it back and replayed the ptb. And that was less interference by the ref than this one.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:48 pm Last year, Penrith five-eighth Jarome Luai escaped a ban for shoving touch judge Chris Sutton in the back.

At the time Luai said it was an innocent mistake. Like Hughes, Luai was charged with contrary conduct but was hit with a $1,800 fine rather than a suspension over the incident in May.

Onto the daily telegraph website. One plays for the nrls favourite team and one plays for us. Would the outcome be the same if Hughes fights it.
If he fights and loses I think he gets 2 matches.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Correct, 2 if he loses
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:32 pm The entire point of modern backline plays is to trap our FB close to the ruck on one side of the field, then inject your own fullback on the opposite side to create the overlap.

Bellamy, from day dot has had the defensive philosophy to keep the middle tight and if the opposing backline play is good enough to beat us on the outside (plus our scramble), so be it. And it is hard to argue against its effectiveness.

That being said, sure, poor decisions can be made by centres. It is the hardest position in the field to defend in.

But also, to some casual fans, the centre jamming in causes the overlap. Not always. Probably not even often. What decision has the half made? What about the second rower? Bellamy won’t tolerate a SR strolling through because our centre and winger decided to stay wide in case of a pass.

hallelujah

blazza18 and yourhero are right on the money. A excellant summations of the arts and perils of the centre position. Matthew Elliott or another "expert" on the ABC were expounding heavily the specialty of the centres. I get really annoyed when people bag the centres, those people need to look inside and see how many haven't moved across.

Balls being spread out, you're calling for players to come across (and they're not) and you must decide, rush up and try to shut it down or hold

If I was the coach I'd be looking inside rather than out and I'd reckon that's what our coaches do
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Warriors hard done by in the dally m votes. Paps got 6, Coates with 3 and Jahrome with 3.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All due respect to Coates, his match winner was as spectacular a clutch play as you'll ever see, he wasn't the second best player over 80 minutes.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am All due respect to Coates, his match winner was as spectacular a clutch play as you'll ever see, he wasn't the second best player over 80 minutes.
I agree, leave the spectacular try out of and it and he had a really good game. The one dropped bomb when they threw an absolute Blitzkrieg at him was pretty impressive, his runs out of defence (nothing as good as DZW though) and his defence was really solid. (Did he have any missed tackles?)

Not sure who I'd give the votes to but DZW should be amongst them, what a handful he is.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree, given Warriors dominated second half and were 30 seconds away from winning, surprised not one Warriors player polled.

RTS caused us all sorts of issues in the second half. As did Johnson with his kicking. Addin Fonua-Blake smashed us when running the ball back. DWZ was also great.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:33 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am All due respect to Coates, his match winner was as spectacular a clutch play as you'll ever see, he wasn't the second best player over 80 minutes.
I agree, leave the spectacular try out of and it and he had a really good game. The one dropped bomb when they threw an absolute Blitzkrieg at him was pretty impressive, his runs out of defence (nothing as good as DWZ though) and his defence was really solid. (Did he have any missed tackles?)

Not sure who I'd give the votes to but DWZ should be amongst them, what a handful he is.