Round 1 vs Panthers @ AAMI Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

An immensely important win. Without Munster and NAS, up against a triple premiership juggernaut. After 22 years the great coach still knows how to get the players up for round 1, and after 22 years the players still lift for him.

The last time we played a match that counted, this mob embarrassed us. Tonight’s result shows that we can be a contender again.

I am very proud of our club.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Superb. I'm taking apologies on Trent Loeiro right now.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 pm Bold of you to think Penrith will be called for blocking the ruck 🙄
The irony being that the only call for that was against us.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Issues with handling and decision making in attack, but I'm thrilled with our defence.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am so pumped to be wrong, that humble pie tastes good.

Loiero and King both had fantastic games.

Welch off the bench, for mine, seems to be the trick

Munny should take as much time off as he needs because Pezet, although quiet at times, is too good to not be playing more often.

Alot of 100m+ stats tonight which is great, alot of missed tackles and errors but that's week 1.

This was A+ tonight Penrith maybe slow starters but we didn't let them in, attitude is everything.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So proud of the effort, some monumental efforts from the guys against a formidable side. One of the more memorable wins I’ve watched, so gritty I loved every second of the that, footys back baby!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:51 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 pm Bold of you to think Penrith will be called for blocking the ruck 🙄
The irony being that the only call for that was against us.
The Panthers had a try disallowed for blocking Hughes... (I didn't think there was much in it but hey, I'll take it) There certainly were other occasions but a Craig Bellamy team isn't coached to deliberately run in to players and fall over - and maybe that's our downfall
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:25 pm No Nelson and no Munster,
No problem.

Munny can have as long off as it takes for him to get ready for State of Origin
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

King didn't play like the number on his back, in fact, I don't think his role changed at all

Great win, GREAT
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Player ratings

Papenhuyzen - 7/10

The run he needed, ever see a horse that just needed to clear the cobwebs before it explodes? That was the game for Paps, he was knackered by the end but his body held up and he can only grow in confidence from here.

Coates - 8/10

Was fantastic especially late in the game, not normally known for his defence but it was a few great last ditch plays that stood out, he worked hard out of trouble all night too and set up the only try of the game with a great tap back.

Smith - 7/10

Was a rock in defence and didn’t shirk his work in attack, didn’t get a whole lot of time and space but was safe and didn’t make any of his customary defensive mistakes, was decent.

Meaney - 10/10

Colour me surprised, I was against him playing in the centres, he shut me up! What a first up effort, he was my best in ground, made a lot of great runs, was so good at positioning himself in the defence and just looked really comfortable out there, unlucky to not get a try.

Warbrick - 3/10

The only guy I thought was poor for us tonight, ineffective with the ball, lot of errors, poor defensive reads saved by the hustle of guys inside him. Didn’t offer much, was awful in the Knights trial too, on report as well for a high shot on Turuva.

Pezet - 7/10

Solid game from the kid, some great kicks and again tackled his heart out, was always pressuring the line and chasing down the ball, did every thing asked of him, big occasion for a young guy and he was superb.

Hughes - 8/10

Very good game from Jahrome, thought he pulled the strings beautifully, was very dominant and got his hands on the ball a lot, always looked dangerous and really tried his guts out.

Tui - 7/10

Solid, dropped a sitter to put the game out of reach but was strong particularly in his first spell, looked gassed late on but he was running hard and hitting anything that moved.

Grant - 9/10

What else can I say, he was every where, always is. Such a great pick for captain, he does so many things that many probably miss. He is such a classy footballer, footy IQ through the roof.

King - 8/10

Was huge, both stints he absolutely worked himself into the ground, made a lot of effort plays and cleaned up a lot of mess around the ruck, he is becoming a very reliable and solid player.

Katoa - 8/10

Was also very impressive, we have a real gem out there and I thought he was very effective on both sides of the ball tonight, huge defensive work and always looked dangerous on the edge. Cant wait to see him put his name up in lights this season.

Chan - 7/10

Solid debut, he did miss a lot of tackles but he also worked so hard, emptied the tank and had a lot of aggression when he got involved, can only get better might be a better bench option moving forward but was happy with him.

Loiero - 8/10

Well well well, didn’t he look a different player in the middle, besides a couple of typical errors, he was phenomenal, great link man, cleaned up a lot of tackles, and took a lot of the early hard runs to help relieve pressure, was very happy for Trent.

Bench -

Welch - 8/10
Macca - 8/10
Lewis - 7/10
Wishart - 6/10
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There shouldn’t be any controversy over their disallowed try. You simple can’t take advantage by running behind one of your own teammates. The officials are very lucky a Storm player didn’t end up making a tackle before the try line because we would’ve been dudded. We were actually dudded when play was allowed to go on after a pass was made after an arm had touched the ground.

Haven’t checked the stats but to the eye it looked like Coates had a great game. He looks bigger/strong and it made a noted difference in his running.

Shocked by the Leiero praise tbh. I just don’t see it with him. Ball skills and discipline are not his forte.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep, Coates was my MOTM. Excellent effort on both sides of the ball.

Great defensive game from the boys. I will say that the Panthers blew a couple of tries, but so did we.

If we can do that consistently this year, we win a lot more games than we lose.

Proud of that one… The duck egg against the Panthers on the scoreboard was so enjoyable.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:04 am There shouldn’t be any controversy over their disallowed try. You simple can’t take advantage by running behind one of your own teammates. The officials are very lucky a Storm player didn’t end up making a tackle before the try line because we would’ve been dudded. We were actually dudded when play was allowed to go on after a pass was made after an arm had touched the ground.

Haven’t checked the stats but to the eye it looked like Coates had a great game. He looks bigger/strong and it made a noted difference in his running.

Shocked by the Leiero praise tbh. I just don’t see it with him. Ball skills and discipline are not his forte.
I’m usually leading the Loiero chorus, but he was great, ran for 100 odd metres, made 36 tackles and didn’t miss any, was very solid and did a lot of the dirty work, also looked like a more natural link man than King.

Maybe we are just comparing him to his edge form last season, but tonight I was more than happy with his output 💪
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The obstruction was the correct call, regardless of Panther fans tears online.

Hughes may not have been impeded, however Meaney turns in on a man he otherwise wouldn’t have needed to. Panther player ran behind his own man. Stop crying and accept it.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23, Will Warbrick 3/10 is very harsh.

128 metres gained (5th for Storm)
39 post contact metres
1 tackle break
5 tackles
2 missed tackles
2 errors (Meaney and Papenhuyzen had 3 each)

Surely worth a 6/10 at least.