2023, The post mortem

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The most apt comment has been (wall)paper over the cracks.

Calls that Paps (and Sua) would've made a difference last night against the Panthers and the season are maybe, just a little, over stated. Sure a bit more spark last night would've been great, and I did have a wondering towards the end of the first half what Sua might have brought.

Not staying anything we don't already know but the attack last night and this season has been awful, not that chances aren't created but the linking and cohesion is nowhere. How much more pressure if passes were timed right or the players were there at the right time. These are things that should be trained over and over. This is why teams fall over when settled halfs are out, ours was our first choice, the outside backs were never in the right places.

Defence was worse than awful. Whilst I don't like Olam getting close to Munster you can see why he does it, no confidence. The old saying, you've got to have confidence in your inside man, I have none. If I was our wingers I'd be sitting bricks, not knowing if I've got to run in to shut it down or stay out. I challenge any of the armchair experts to go stand on the wing of either the rugby codes and be faced with this dilemma.

I think blazza said it and I agree, there should be many spots up for grabs but I think our recruiters have maybe got it not quite right and we've painted ourselves in to a corner.

I don't know the up and comers but surely the time for change is upon us.

I used to be on the Trent bandwagon but I'm well of it now, there's a Lewis who may offer a little more. I had been tired of Jesse for years but now I must admit he'd offered more in the last two years than I truly appreciated.

Easy to say go out and recruit the best, don't think the Tigers and Bulldogs aren't trying to do the same thing? The point of difference we have is, a; out of the spotlight and b; opportunities to win grand finals. Point b is starting to be eroded and I feel the club owes a massive apology to Eli Catoa.

Game day selection and rotation policies need to be reviewed.

Can't say it was unexpected but also can't help feeling a little disappointed, even though I haven't expected much since half way through the year.

Critical and measured responses please
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Similar to what I said In the Penrith match thread

Katoa and Warbrick were excellent
Faalongo, Garlick and Pezet showed they are future first teamers.
We just about covered the holes left by 2022 departures to remain competitive, but nothing more.
When Coates doesn’t play you actually realise what we miss.

We lack forward punch and while there are some up and comers who shoe promise, a good experienced and aggressive prop would be great
Left edge a complete mess.need a new back rower and centre.
What happened to Remis Smith? Was solid for 15 rounds, got injured and it all went south.

Looking ahead
Let’s hope we can get games out of Papi
Ryles to help coaching wise
Sign some fresh blood. Can’t see it but maybe Luke Thompson, Jordan McLean, Williem Grieg are worth a shot under Bellamy? All off contract for next year. There’s a lot off contract at end of 2024 if we want to wheel and dral.

Team

Paps
Warbrick
Smith
Meaney New centre (wheel and deal you could maybe get Moses Suli, Delouise Hoeter, even Gagai)
Coates
Munster
Hughes
NAS
Grant
New prop (see above)
Katoa
New SR (wheel and deal - Shaun Blore, Zac Hosking…)
Garlick

King
Eisenhuth
Morea
Faalongo

Squad/fringe players

Valepu
Wishart
McDonald
Welch
Tui
Howarth
Chan
Seve
Pezet
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Tariq has been offered a new deal and rejected it to go play in France
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Post mortem is appropriate phrasing. My autopsy results are simply that our season died around Round 10 and we have been “Weekend at Bernies”-ing since then.
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

NRL 2023: Melbourne Storm season review
Story by Kye Kuncoro •

NRL 2023: Melbourne Storm season review

© Provided by Sporting News

It wasn’t always smooth sailing for the Storm in 2023, but Melbourne overcame multiple hurdles to record a relatively successful season.
Coming off their first elimination final exit since 2014, the Storm for the first time in a long time started the 2023 season as outside contenders for the premiership rather than favourites.
Their core of Cameron Munster, Jahrome Hughes and Harry Grant starred, although there were a few notable departures that the Storm were unable to completely replace.
Despite this, Melbourne competed exceptionally well, resurrecting a season that looked wayward early during the year.

Did the Storm over-deliver or under-deliver in 2023?

Any Storm side led by legendary coach, Craig Bellamy, is aiming for at the very least, a finals birth.
The expectations for the Storm this season were to at least reach the second week of the finals and that’s what they achieved, so safe to say the Storm have OVER-DELIVERED.
Melbourne through ten rounds held a 5-4 record sitting sixth in the competition, that’s a positive start for most clubs, but not the Storm.
With the prolonged success Melbourne has experienced since their establishment, a top-four finish has become the norm.
There was no doubt that the Storm entered 2023 with a relatively weaker side than they left 2022 with. The losses of the Bromwich brothers, Felise Kaufusi and Brandon Smith cannot be overstated as the club lost not just talent but substantial leadership qualities.

Melbourne reduced the impact of these departures with a couple of quality signings.
Eliesa Katoa showed great signs in his debut season. He displayed excellent intensity and a desire to get stuck into the opposition when necessary.
Will Warbrick who was signed in 2021, has slowly grown into a quality wing option, which was topped off by his clutch leaping grab to snatch the win in week two of the finals.
The forward duo of Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Josh King were incredibly important as well, proving to be irreplaceable in the middle.
The Storm expertly navigated the Origin period with Munster, Grant, and Xavier Coates all receiving call-ups as they moved into the top-four midway through the season.
Like 2022, Nick Meaney proved an excellent replacement as Melbourne would have to contend with their injured star, Ryan Papenhuyzen, being unavailable for much of the season.
Melbourne weren’t perfect though, they desperately needed more quality depth in both their backs and forwards or another superstar to seriously challenge for a premiership.

When did it fall apart?

To say that the Storm fell apart at any point in 2023 would be a stretch although there were certainly periods where they stumbled.
Rounds 2 and 3 were the only time Melbourne suffered consecutive losses this season, with the defeats coming to the Bulldogs and Titans, both sides who weren’t remotely close to the top-eight, certainly a lowlight.
The Storm did suffer some uncharacteristic defeats such as the 45-20 loss to the Cowboys away and the 12-28 loss at home to the Bunnies.
Despite being underdogs, the shutout loss to the Broncos in the qualifying final was also jarring considering the dominance they have held in the head-to-head.
Like all Bellamy-coached sides, the team remained level-headed and resilient responding with defiant victories after every setback.

The spine of Munster, Hughes, and Grant were by no means poor, but they also didn’t play to the level they are capable of.
Grant and Munster were particularly quiet for much of the season and although they were outstanding at times, they seemed jaded from the rigours of both representative and first-grade footy.
Melbourne was also unable to replicate the spark that offseason departure, Brandon Smith brought. Smith was always direct and provided excellent metres through the middle.
They also missed a significant amount of attacking output through the loss of Papenhuyzen and the dismal form of Justin Olam.

Papenhuyzen looked like the piece the Storm were missing in their final push before he would face another tragic setback with the fractured ankle ruling him out for the remainder of 2023.
Olam looked significantly low on confidence as the PNG international has gone from a premier centre to playing reserve grade in the space of a year.

The best period to be a Storm fan

Their 54-10 and 46-16 routs of the Sharks and Eels were easily the best moments of the Storm’s regular season.
Those wins came after their drubbing from the Cowboys and their upset defeat against the Knights, a side who ended their eight-year losing streak with that win.
That win against the Sharks was the first of a three-game win streak which was crucial during the Origin period.The victory against the Eels in Round 21 also spearheaded a 5-1 end to the season with their only defeat coming to the minor premier Panthers.
This run solidified their spot within the top-four, as prior to Round 21 Melbourne looked like a possibility to slide to the edge of the top-eight.

Their clutch semi-final victory was their crowning achievement, in what was a scrappy game against the Roosters. Munster produced his best performance of the year, his cross-field kick which was grabbed by Warbrick for a try in the dying moments was a particularly special moment for the Storm faithful.

Melbourne may have not secured any silverware, but they did show that they remain amongst the competition’s elite sides.

Shining light: Nick Meaney

The unsung hero of the Storm, Meaney has been the glue that has kept this side together.
Meaney who won the Best Back of the Year award in 2022 is likely to win that title yet again in 2023.
It’s no secret the Storm have lacked both quality and depth amongst their backline over the past couple of seasons, which has only been exacerbated by the unavailability of the injured Papenhuyzen.
The Storm have relied heavily on Meaney who has continued to perform superbly in Papenhuyzen’s absence.

Not only does Meaney provide excellent goal-kicking to a side that has limited goal-kicking options, but he also possesses a well-rounded attacking repertoire.
Meaney totalled over 150 run metres nine times and ranked in the top ten amongst fullbacks for tackle breaks, numbers that rival some of the best fullbacks in the NRL.
His industrious attitude was matched with class as the fullback totalled 11 try assists, ten tries and led the NRL in conversions made.
While Meaney was Melbourne’s shining light, the efforts of Nelson Asofa-Solomona cannot be understated.

NAS’ role increased dramatically due to the loss of several key forwards, and he stepped up exceptionally well.
It’s no surprise the Storm stumbled early on during the absence of NAS who was out due to a knee injury.

Will the Storm improve in 2024?

The 2023 season only ever appeared to be a two-horse race between the Broncos and Panthers while the Storm and Warriors tagged along.
Melbourne can improve in 2024, but whether their improvement will be enough to reach the Broncos and Panthers is another question.
The Storm’s ‘Big 3’ of Munster, Hughes and Grant can improve on what was a good but not exceptional season for the trio.

The news that Papenhuyzen’s horrific ankle injury isn’t as bad as first predicted is positive and if the Storm are to see substantial improvement it will rest on their fullback’s shoulders.
Even if these variables go according to plan, the Storm will still need to resolve some worrying concerns elsewhere.
Melbourne needs some reinforcements in their forward pack, as the quality of their forward depth does not stack up to their fellow premiership contenders.

Whilst Warbrick’s emergence was a pleasant surprise, the Storm desperately need more star power in their backs as well, particularly in their centre positions.
Melbourne will be relying on Olam to return to form and hoping prospects like Sualauvi Faalogo can step up to first-grade next season as they have made zero movement in the market so far.
Melbourne’s third-place finish and preliminary-final exit proved that they are still amongst the competition’s best.

Storm’s player movements 2024
Gains:

Losses:

Unsigned

Grant Anderson, Cole Geyer, Jordan Grant, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Tepai Moeroa, Jayden Nikorima, Tariq Sims
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Fairly accurate.

I, like most people, am awaiting what is happening re recruitment.

I also felt our leadership seemed confused on the field - Munster and Hughes seemed as though they didn't know who was leading an attacking raid.

Lot of work to do in the off season.

It will be VERY interesting the involvement of the North Sydney Bears in 2024 (who are in the GF). They must have some talent and bringing in their coach, Jason Taylor, may add some insight to where we are going.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hughes is the only logical choice for captain in my opinion. But I said that same thing this time last year as well.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I’ve had a long hard think about this, and we need to make some big calls this off season regarding a few players, but this is what I believe is our best 17 come round 1 next season, just my opinion of course:

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Xavier Coates
3. Reimis Smith
4. Will Warbrick
5. Sua Fa’alogo
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes (c)
8. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
9. Harry Grant
10. Tepai Moeroa
11. Elisea Katoa
12. Jack Howarth
13. Josh King

14. Tyran Wishart
15. Joe Chan
16. Lazarus Vaalepu
17. Alec MacDonald

I’m sorry to say but so many guys this year showed they aren’t up to the required level to be Storm players, some are fine as back ups/fill ins like Meaney but they can’t be top 17 guys when we are all fit & firing.

So unfortunately from the side this year it’s either reserves or bye bye to Meaney, Jennings, Seve, Olam, Garlick, Welch, Kamikamika, Loiero, Eisenhuth & Sims among others and time to roll the dice on our future. This is just what is in house and ideally a few more would be out the door for some new signings but that looks unlikely with our cap space, I’d love a new strike centre and a real world class lock/second rower but I think (or hope) Will & Jack can be those guys, can’t be any worse than Olam & Loiero!

I’d like to see Wishart and Pezet get more time together as well, I think they would compliment each other well and if Munsters form keeps slipping then … who knows.

I know our forwards struggled this season but we need some X-Factor more than anything, even during this finals series there were so many spurned chances that had nothing to do with the pack or their efforts, I don’t care what anyone says Prime Paps would have destroyed the Roosters and would have exploited that first 20 against Penrith.

Sua is electric and needs to be out there too finishing these half chances off, how many times over the years did we play pretty poorly through the middle and the Foxx or Slater or Hynes or Paps would just bust it open with some class and brilliance, we didn’t have that all year! A back 3 of Paps, Coates and Sua will light us up again I’m very confident. But that 3/4 line still looks putrid besides Katoa, I really hope we can sort it out, and I see a great centre in Warbrick I hope CB sees it too.
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

To me Sua needs to be in a spine position. He is small, and as yet, not a great defender. His electric acceleration needs to be placed where it can do some damage to tired forwards. I would play him off the bench for 2 x 20 minute stints.

We need to acquire/develop a player like Isaah Yeo. He IS the main reason in my opinion why Penrith is where it is. He is a ball playing lock and has really defined that position. All we have in King is a great defender, but a bash and barge player.
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

For reference - I said that jason Taylor (current Bears coach) would help add input to out team - he is off to be assistant coach at the Bulldogs.

There are 3 players that could add depth to the Storm from the Bears:
Toa Mata'afa Centre https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... a-mataafa/
Fetalaiga Pauga Centre https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... ior-pauga/
Elie El-Zakhem @nd Row https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... el-zakham/
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm pretty sure Pauga was on the wing for the Roosters in our final, might be contracted?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sheet_ed wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:24 am For reference - I said that jason Taylor (current Bears coach) would help add input to out team - he is off to be assistant coach at the Bulldogs.

There are 3 players that could add depth to the Storm from the Bears:
Toa Mata'afa Centre https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... a-mataafa/
Fetalaiga Pauga Centre https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... ior-pauga/
Elie El-Zakhem @nd Row https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... el-zakham/
I want smiley