Preliminary Final vs Panthers @ Accor Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Be a little different and kick it into touch as much as possible and see if it can break up their rhythm a little bit.

As for ways to win I think it has to start with our completion rate being in the high 80s. Can't give them any unearned possession. Big Nelson has to play at least 60 minutes in the middle while having his best game of the season. We need to see Anzac Day Nelson back for this one. Prove he can match it with the best players in the big games.

Will also say we need to be patient. We're not going to get every little call. If we lose our heads early like the Brisbane game we're in for a long night.
Last edited by blazza18 on Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I can't think of any reason how we can stop the panthers either. All I can say was 2011 we were the best team by a country mile and we got beaten in the preliminary final by sixth place warriors. That year was one year we should have won the flag. So there is a small chance of an upset. But this is storm and luck never seems to go our way.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:09 pm Everyone has known about the emphasis the Panthers place on using their back 5 to eat up metres and get their sets off to a red hot start. I can’t see how we stop it to be honest… :(
Kick it behind them, early, and from dummy half so all our chasers are on side
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Complete sets, limit errors, no cheap penalties.
Lots of early kicks and the chasers getting up fast.
Make them defend.
Zip the ball around when in possession side to side (not counting on that lately).

There was a game a year or so ago where we upset them by putting in probably the best defensive game I’ve seen. That would be nice. But stranger things have happened in finals, but we need some luck.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I’m encouraged by Nelson’s Media quotes today, he said he is up to cause “Chaos” in the ruck on Friday night and that he can’t wait for the game as he feels the “Stars have aligned for the boys to do something special”.

A lot of these games are lost mentally before they step on the field, I love the mind set and positivity if nothing else.

Supposedly Tago and Luai are next to no chance to play either which helps us too … do we dare to dream?

⚡️⚡️⚡️
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

I was watching some old matches and the common element when we we won was that the pack gave Grant enough time to work from the base of the ruck. So if the pack can stand up to Penrtih and give the ball players some space to drive the Panthers back five backwards, the there's definitely a possibility. Do I have confidence that it ewill happen? Based on past experiences, not a lot.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Quick PTB will be crucial.

NAS, Katoa, Tepai from bring their front and Harry jumping off the back. A fullback pushing up in support would be nice too, but that might be too much to ask.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm squad
1 Nick Meaney
2 Will Warbrick
3 Marion Seve
4 Justin Olam
5 Reimis Smith
6 Cameron Munster
7 Jahrome Hughes
8 Tui Kamikamica
9 Harry Grant
10 Christian Welch
11 Trent Loiero
12 Eli Katoa
13 Josh King
14 Tyran Wishart
15 Tom Eisenhuth
16 Nelson Asofa-Solomona
17 Tariq Sims
18 Grant Anderson
19 Bronson Garlick
20 Sua Fa'alogo
21 Tepai Moeroa
22 Chris Lewis

So definitely no Xavier this week.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Referee Adam Gee and the video ref is Grant Atkins.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I still get annoyed over team lists more than I should be. Why has Garlick gone from bench utility to starter to now on the extended bench? Ughh...sorry.
stormysunshine
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Anyone at Goschs? Any ideas on our 17 based on training?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:06 pm I still get annoyed over team lists more than I should be. Why has Garlick gone from bench utility to starter to now on the extended bench? Ughh...sorry.
I think he doesn't want to drop Wishart after he really stepped up but we need Garlick to start for mine
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:33 pm
blazza18 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:06 pm I still get annoyed over team lists more than I should be. Why has Garlick gone from bench utility to starter to now on the extended bench? Ughh...sorry.
I think he doesn't want to drop Wishart after he really stepped up but we need Garlick to start for mine
If CB is going to do the leave Grant off for the first 20mins, I'm not sure who's the better option at hooker. At least Garlick can go into the second row if required while Wishart can cover back row positions if required,
stormysunshine
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

SallyMay did you get to training? What the 17 look like?
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I love that we aren’t just going through the motions, guys are getting vocal and fired up, we had an opposed session where the reserves all wore Panthers jerseys to try and invoke a reaction, I feel like there has been a big realisation within the camp that what’s been on show all year won’t cut it, I love that we seem to have some enthusiasm about this game, I’m daring to dream…