Who is no be kept from the 2023 squad

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I cannot tell you how much I hate it :lol:

No disrespect, I am all for thinking outside the box, but I can’t see that netting any positive results.

Sua and Meaney have no place on the wings IMO. Ever. If you’re not 100kg plus, I’m not interested.

Reimis should be at centre every week. Olam we probably need to offload. He can be excellent, but he can very easily drift back to lazy and it has happened repeatedly. There has to be some decent off contract centres or there are some solid QCup centres that we could probably sign.

1. Paps
2 Warbrick
3. Smith
4. ?
5. Coates
14. Sua

Let go of Anderson IMO.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I guess what got me on this train of thought was the idea that Sua & Meaney are both not in our run on 13 next season and I’m not sure there are many other work arounds, plus I’m not sure how those 2 would go defensively either but to be fair we have been Swiss cheese in the 3/4 line for years 😂

I guess some tough calls are going to be made in regards to Sua and Nick if our back 3 is Paps/Warbrick/Coates 🤔
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Meaney goes to centre. He's played 5/8 before so he's got experience defending in a bit. I just don't see moving X or Warbrick as the best option either.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

That’s always an option too, Nick could do a fair job there. I do fear Sua will get frozen out though and we might end up losing him, he is too good for reserve grade again. Bellamy has his hands full this offseason working on the backline that’s for sure.

We also need to address the pack too, a few guys spots must be seriously up for discussion in the run on side, infact besides NAS, Grant and Katoa I don’t think any of their spots are assured. I think guys like Vaaleepu, Howarth and Chan are going to have something to say in pre-season.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The elephant in the room, aside from the fact that Olam has plenty of time left to run on his contract, is Papenhuyzen.

No point worrying about how to accomadate Sua and/or Meaney while such a massive question marks remains on Paps. This is going to go down like a lead balloon, but I have doubts he has the durability required for the game unfortuantely.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

His ducking 25 he has heaps of time …Sua isn’t going anywhere anytime soon
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lucas wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:38 pm The elephant in the room, aside from the fact that Olam has plenty of time left to run on his contract, is Papenhuyzen.

No point worrying about how to accomadate Sua and/or Meaney while such a massive question marks remains on Paps. This is going to go down like a lead balloon, but I have doubts he has the durability required for the game unfortuantely.
Could very well dictate what the club does with everyone else honestly, the first domino to fall so to speak, I do wonder how much of a toll this latest injury will have on him, I pray he gets back to his best but you just never know, I guess if he isn’t right to go in pre-season Sua gets his shot?
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

A fit Paps to 6, Sua to 1, Munster to the stands and figure the rest out. (If you haven't guessed it I'm waaaaaaaaay less enamoured with Munster than others)
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullucked wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:51 pm A fit Paps to 6, Sua to 1, Munster to the stands and figure the rest out. (If you haven't guessed it I'm waaaaaaaaay less enamoured with Munster than others)
Whilst I’m not quite at the dropping him stage, Munster has been playing pretty poorly since Origin and even before then he wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire, his problem seems to be either ghosting when we need him or overplaying his hand when we don’t, he can’t get his balance right!

His defence has also become a huge issue, lazy jersey grabbing attempts, usually tops the missed tackle count, doesn’t seem to be in sync with his inside or outside man, he just hasn’t looked interested in competing the back half of the year, and our whole team looks poorer for it. He has been exposed more than anyone losing his weapons, surrounded by Kenny, Olam and Paps last year vs Meaney, Young T and Loiero this season he just isn’t able to be anywhere near the threat he was, probably because no one around him is a threat anymore. He really needs to find that top form and he needs it now, because if Hughes isn’t on setting up 5 tries a game we are in big trouble.

I’ll settle for a big defensive effort, the way he tracked back and attempted to tackle Staggs last week for his first try was embarrassing for an U/8’s game.
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

Everybody is perfectly entitled to their own opinion , but I expect if we can survive at least the next two games, this whole thread will be irrelevant
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That’s one of the biggest “ifs” I have ever seen.

I would love to eat my words and would humbly do so. But objectively, it seems highly unlikely.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I’ve not read anything on here that’s really unfair or changes the general consensus if we do manage to jag another win or 2, we have some issues that need addressing regardless of how the season ends, if we win the Grand Final it won’t make fitting Sua into the team next year an easier proposition for example.

As for form, like Hero said I would love to eat my words and see a Munster masterclass tomorrow night, end of the day we are all Storm fans and even with differing opinions we all want the club to be the best it can be and perform well on the paddock.
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Tariq Sims to Catalan Dragons
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ta ... on-reports

We need some salary space to get some agressive forwards.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Need Catalans to take one or two contracted players too I beg.

Club liked Sims more than the fanbase but I think he would've been a better bench player if our other middles were better. Happy to not give him more than a season though.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lucas wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:38 pm The elephant in the room, aside from the fact that Olam has plenty of time left to run on his contract, is Papenhuyzen.

The brontosaurus in the room is that everyone is talking about backs not forwards.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately