Finals Week 1 vs Broncos - 2nd Qualifying Final - Suncorp Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:59 pm The news coming out about Paps is looking much more positive.

Seems just the smaller bone (fibula) was broken not the tibia (large bone) and there was no compound fracture (skin being pierced) which vastly improves the prognosis and hugely lowers the risk of infection.

He has had a plate and 6 screws inserted into the bone and the surgery went well. According to NRL Physio with the injury and no unforeseen complications he should be good to return to the training track in 10-12 weeks which is well before pre-season.

Thoughts are with you Papi and we hope to see you back bigger and stronger in 2024 mate!

Being the highly professional athlete I wasn't I came back from exactly the same injury. Took me a lot longer of course (and gained plenty of weight!) Once over the mental scars he'll be fine.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullucked wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:10 pm
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:59 pm The news coming out about Paps is looking much more positive.

Seems just the smaller bone (fibula) was broken not the tibia (large bone) and there was no compound fracture (skin being pierced) which vastly improves the prognosis and hugely lowers the risk of infection.

He has had a plate and 6 screws inserted into the bone and the surgery went well. According to NRL Physio with the injury and no unforeseen complications he should be good to return to the training track in 10-12 weeks which is well before pre-season.

Thoughts are with you Papi and we hope to see you back bigger and stronger in 2024 mate!

Being the highly professional athlete I wasn't I came back from exactly the same injury. Took me a lot longer of course (and gained plenty of weight!) Once over the mental scars he'll be fine.
Ouch mate!! I hope it didn’t hurt as much as it looks like it hurt Ryan, he looked in absolute agony! Glad to hear it’s definitely a recoverable injury, I feared for his career directly after, broke my heart seeing him crying and sucking on that morphine stick.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

As far as the game went, we were bashed with and without the ball.

The thing about rugby league, if the forwards aren't going forward the team is going backward, very badly as in last night. The tone was set from the first hit up. (Is there a stat from teams receiving or kicking off that wins more games? Kinda like winning the toss and batting)

Hindsight is wonderful and to have both Tepai and Garlic on the bench would've been better. How do we learn from this? Does the coach / selection committee choose the same people again? (Does anyone know the definition of insanity? Answer, Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result!)

No-one needs to look back too far to see my opinion of our number 6 is not very high and unfortunately the captain has also fallen in to the same field of view. (Do the Dolphins still want a marquee player?) How can this be changed? Is there a way of getting Munster to put his head down and use his shoulder to tackle instead of collar grabbing?

Forever and a day I must sound like a supporter of our centres and wingers running in. When they hit and stick they look like millionaires, when they miss, well, they look like Rodney Howe. Last night running in shut down plays (and was totally necessary as we had been outnumbered) but it was only a matter of time before the Bronc's got their timing right.

What do we do going forward with what we have? Katoa puts his hand up consistently but looked to have been well baited last night. Trent was disappointing but had plenty of mates, does Lewis offer a bit more grunt and poke, does he have 80 minutes in him (Is he even on Craigs Xmas card list???)? I'm not a huge wrap for his consistency but Tepai needs to come back, there's two slightly larger bodies.

Does Meaney go to the wing to allow Sua in next week at FB. Does Sua start off the bench as the (only) utility? Does Reimis come on to the wing, does Olam come back (shudders) for T and Reimis to the wing?

Does the club realise they've paid big money for some big plonkers / maybe slightly misguided in their recruitment policies?

The ride has been good for the last 25 years, let's keep enjoying it.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have no words to say except looks like the brisbane tigers are about to have a bunch of players pulled from their game like the falcons
Rumours Remis flew back with the storm to Melbourne instead of staying for the tigers game
Alec is already out and Tariq played nrl last night
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It’s a funny thing when you sit and really think about the selections lately, if I told you 12 months ago …

- Our back up utility Meaney would be keeping Papenhuyzen on the bench as a middle forward

- Young Tonumaipea & Marion Seve would force Reimis Smith & Justin Olam to reserve grade

- Will Warbrick would be a regular starter

- Cameron Munster has been our worst player (against expectation anyway)

- Fans would be calling for Christian Welch to be dropped

- Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Tariq Sims, Tepai Moeroa and Alec MacDonald would be benched whilst Trent Loiero starts every game

- Harry Grant would miss 10 tackles in a big game and look like a chicken with his head cut off (he was as mad as a cut snake too, couldn’t control those emotions at all)

I understand form, injuries, timing, favouritism etc all play a part in the make up of the side and some guys just have an off game but this has been the story of the season, some of these decisions just seem so crazy to read in black & white, I’m not sure how critical I can be of CB as I’m no expert, but I do feel like this is the first season in years that I’ve wondered about the process and been curious about certain selections.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:02 pmI’m not sure how critical I can be of CB as I’m no expert, but I do feel like this is the first season in years that I’ve wondered about the process and been curious about certain selections.
The last two seasons brother. Been a whole lot of random selections and undeserved jerseys handed out.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:58 pm
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:02 pmI’m not sure how critical I can be of CB as I’m no expert, but I do feel like this is the first season in years that I’ve wondered about the process and been curious about certain selections.
The last two seasons brother. Been a whole lot of random selections and undeserved jerseys handed out.
Fair point, last season just didn’t seem to have so many obvious flaws but the writing was definitely on the wall, but the decisions and the inconsistencies on the field has been obvious to a point where I’m not backing his selections every week, like what does he see in Loiero to give him a starting jersey in one of the best clubs every single week all year? No thought of promoting guys who are young and chomping at the bit like Howarth or Chan, he has left Fa’alogo in reserves all year and we saw what he did with his first touch in the big time, really does make you scratch your head mate.

Just saw Xavier has a minor Syndesmosis injury, they are monitoring him for next week but I doubt he plays even the most minor one is at least a few weeks one would think.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Depth is nowhere near where it has been in previous years.
Naturally we have always lost players.
But isn’t it incredible just how many it has been since the 2020 premiership and that play still elsewhere.
The next man up mentality takes a hit when players are being introduced to first grade too early out of necessity where it feels like perhaps we try to find more of a Brick in the rough. Players without the runs on the board in lower grade that compared to those that play their way above the rest where it’s taking less of a chance on them.
That’s not to say the players are no good, it’s just that they aren’t quite ready and consistent enough.
That in turn puts pressure on incumbents who are now being exposed for their own deficiencies perhaps trying to do too much or that previous teammates were able to cover up flaws for.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I hear you, and you make a good point about the players lost since 2020, considering we haven’t really brought any stars in, everyone that left was top tier too!

- Suli Vunivalu
- Josh Addo-Carr
- Cam Smith
- Jesse Bromwich
- Felise Kaufusi
- Kenny Bromwich
- Brandon Smith
- Nicho Hynes
- Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
- Dale Finucane
- Max King

And all we’ve done the last 3 years is sign Coates, King and Katoa and re-signed players to upgraded deals, bizarre. Also shows just how much quality we lost after that initial hit of losing Cronk and Slater the years prior, we aren’t the team we were and this year really has shown those chinks in the armour that we have been spoiled with for decades, I’ve got hope with the kids like Fa’alogo and Howarth etc coming through but it’s not a dominance we are used to as Storm fans.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The Katoa and King moves look to be really good, value signings.
Coates - I can understand why we wanted him, but don’t think we have got him to another level like I think we thought was possible.

Outside of that, re-signing the spine has been really expensive and I don’t think we can say any of them are outperforming their contracts.

In fact, there are few players on the entire roster that are. The simple view is if you consistently have players outperforming contracts, you have a great platform to build off. I don’t think we have that anymore.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

It just seems they have tried to replicate what worked 15 years ago by having "top tier" spine players and fill everywhere else with journeymen and cheapies.
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

Yes, there is absolutely no doubt it was a horror show but two things to consider. The season is not over and until the fat prop makes the final tackle, I will continue to have hope that we will be victorious. If not, then that's the time for post mortems.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Anyone else watching this Sharks vs Roosters game? FMD, my god, if Storm at home can't get beat either of these teams I am not renewing my membership next year, I am done.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

I think my intended post didn’t make it.

Storm are on life support but not out.

Fire up the troops for next week. Paps injury not as bad as feared but still a body blow….

Beat the average looking Sharks and Roosters and go again.

Play hard up the middle. Best 13 to run on. NAS to start and Faalongo 1 as the wildcard…I’d even give Olam a roll…and Remis Smith must get picked.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bartos wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:05 pm It just seems they have tried to replicate what worked 15 years ago by having "top tier" spine players and fill everywhere else with journeymen and cheapies.
Yep pretty much. The recruitment and development of young players hasn’t been good enough to continue building around 3-4 players.