Finals Week 1 vs Broncos - 2nd Qualifying Final - Suncorp Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also I am not sure who posted it but I have bad news re: clash with AFL match.

Based on timing of matches and days breaks. The Storm will play on Friday night at the same time as Melbourne v Carlton/ Sydney at the MCG.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That game will be nightmare fuel for years to come
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:57 pm I don’t know how to put Paps injury into the whole context of it all but the club really needs to take a good hard look at themselves. That is the third straight finals loss all off the back of the forward pack not having a go and errors galore for pretty much everyone.

The roster construction is not good enough either. That’s plain as day.
Some bad news for you Blazza. Our 2024 roster is relatively consistent with this year's roster.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is the best Broncos team for a decade, and the least threatening Storm team for 5 years. This was always going to be tough.

The majority of the game was thrilling, Reynolds high footy IQ and xfactors from Walsh and Staggs was the difference and we couldn't get momentum given the mistimings, errors and just confusion in certain areas.

Paps injury is absolutely soul crushing as a supporter. We are of course powerless and NAS body coming across could not be avoided. It's a contact sport.
Paps is as resilient as it comes, tough as nails and is an amazing person I pray he can overcome this, this really is devastating and he does not deserve another bout of serious injury and adversity.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

2021 - Paps misses 9 games after one of the worst on field KOs you will see, snoring into the field.

2022 - Picks up a hamstring and knee injury seeing him ruled out for 7 weeks. 2 games later, shatters his knee like a pane of glass, gone for 18 months.

2023 - 4 games back and compound fracture of the ankle. Await scans, but looks to be both tibia and fibula snapped, bone/s sticking through the skin.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jharal Yow Yeh couldn’t return from it.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:01 pm
blazza18 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:57 pm I don’t know how to put Paps injury into the whole context of it all but the club really needs to take a good hard look at themselves. That is the third straight finals loss all off the back of the forward pack not having a go and errors galore for pretty much everyone.

The roster construction is not good enough either. That’s plain as day.
Some bad news for you Blazza. Our 2024 roster is relatively consistent with this year's roster.
Yea it’s rough. Hoping they find a way for a couple of guys to leave early like the Roosters somehow do every other year.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We should absolutely play Sua at fullback next weekend. Pretty sure they won’t have the guts to but we need some x factor in the team.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:16 pm We should absolutely play Sua at fullback next weekend. Pretty sure they won’t have the guts to but we need some x factor in the team.
Nothing to lose.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jharal Yow Yeh’s brake was very bad and the whole bone split the skin. All compound fractures are bad due to the risk of infection but let’s hope that the amount of bone that broke the skin was minimal and it is a nice clean brake. A clean brake will help will recovery, which he did not have with his knee injury
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

I watched until the end of the game and had to turn it off after it. Did anyone watch the press conference for Bellamy?
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Paps is a ball player. He started his career roaming around the ruck and needing to defend in the line.

Bellyache would have told him that we want to play Means at full back and Paps would have put his hand up to play whatever role he could for the team.

So I hope no one wants to just blame Craig for this. It could have happened to anyone at anytime when 115 kgs falls on your leg.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Ok, to be fair we as Storm fans have been spoiled.
We've missed the finals 3 times in 25 years - an absolutely spectacular run. We have nothing to complain about. I'm absolutely greatful.

But f*ck that was disappointing!
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Every year we just seem to play terrible in finals and have no luck. Didn't paps also get injured in that 2019 prelim against the roosters? That was a shocking game as well for us
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:46 pm Ok, to be fair we as Storm fans have been spoiled.
We've missed the finals 3 times in 25 years - an absolutely spectacular run. We have nothing to complain about. I'm absolutely greatful.

But f*ck that was disappointing!
Yep. This is true. We've been very lucky to see our team play so many finals over so many years.

But I am totally numb after Ryan's injury.

No sure if this will galvanise the team or tear its heart out.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time