Finals Week 1 vs Broncos - 2nd Qualifying Final - Suncorp Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can’t question Loiero’s work rate. Does need to sort out his discipline and add something to offer in attack. Atm he’s just a guy.
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

Second rowers these days need to offer more than just a work rate & tackling. That’s all Trent offers. I’d assume eventually howarth or chan takes his spot.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yeah I think if we were go to the market in the off-season a strike centre and an aggressive back rower would be the main targets, there isn’t a whole lot on the market, Ethan Bullemor from Manly and Billy Smith from the Roosters have shown a bit and could be nice pick ups but we more than likely recruit internally.

The dream would be Ola’kauatu and Tago those 2 are going to be absolute superstars but I know we are no chance haha.

I agree with the above sentiment as well, I think Reimis is a better option than Young T at the moment, I think the problem with Smith and why Bellamy isn’t really selecting him is his discipline, the guy has been a hot head lately and that could cost us in the finals, he needs to stop being goaded into things by opponents and just focus on playing hard footy.

The fact he has been used on the wing lately makes me think his days at centre are over which is a shame, maybe Olam gets a game he was ok the other night, I’m guessing CB will stick solid with Seve and Young though, maybe if they perform poorly against the Broncos he will make some changes, wouldn’t be surprised to see the same with Meaney/Paps as well, pressure will be on to perform this week!
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

This is an absolute dream scenario to be in. We've had a pretty shaky season, but still find ourselves finishing third and now have a realistic pathway to the Grand Final.

Broncos are rightfully bookies favourites, they've been exceptional this season. I know we've got the wood over them, but all runs come to an end at some point. But I can't help but feel we are in the right place at the right time - I think we get them (just!)

Either way absolutely hanging for it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Article on zero tackle saying that Broncos players wanted to play warriors. Let's use that.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:34 pm Article on zero tackle saying that Broncos players wanted to play warriors. Let's use that.
Sounds like 'we can't beat Melbourne at suncorp' is very much in their heads.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 pm I just can’t get my head around how someone can have three first time offences.
He must be the new protected species of the NRL!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Official team

1. Nick Meaney 2. William Warbrick 3. Marion Seve 4. Young Tonumaipea 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Tui Kamikamica 9. Harry Grant 10. Christian Welch 11. Trent Loiero 12. Eliesa Katoa 13. Josh King 14. Bronson Garlick 15. Tom Eisenhuth 16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 17. Ryan Papenhuyzen 18. Tyran Wishart 19. Tariq Sims 20. Tepai Moeroa 21. Reimis Smith 22. Grant Anderson
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That exactly how they trained today at the open session they had …although I’m getting the feeling Bronson might be out and Tyran in …

Tyran Bronson Paps and Sua were the orange shirt (normally means bench from what I work out at training) so was confusing me the whole training session
big_m
Squall
Squall

Thats a pretty small bench given the broncos middles we are up against.
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

I'm thinking that Storm will go for a suffocating game on the first half with Bronson or Tyran in at 9 tiring out the Broncos forwards and at about 30-40 mins Harry comes on and we raise the tempo of the game with the speed merchants with Papi playing a floating middle forward.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That is not a Premiership winning team IMO.

Moeroa should be on the bench for sure, Smith should be at centre and Paps should be starting - or at least getting the bulk of minutes.

Meaney
Garlick
Wishart
Young/Seve centre pairing
A single prop on the bench

After leaving Thursday night brimming with hope, I’m now concerned that we are gonna lose this one at the selection table :(
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Trying to fit Paps in makes the bench look weird.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Interesting little stat, the only two Storm players with over 50 club games and no finals appearances have been named to play (Eisenhuth and Tonunaipea). Assuming both play, the Storm player with the most appearances without a final reverts back to being Fifita Moala (39 games).
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I know I’m in the minority, but I would have thrown Paps in at fullback, Nick has been great but the lift in intensity and class of a finals series you need the absolute best and I would have rolled the dice on Papenhuyzen 100%, this will be his 6th game back from injury he showed enough last week to me that he can handle it.

I also would have picked Reimis as well I’m not sure we are winning a comp with the current line up either, Moeroa has to come into the side off the bench if we lose the ruck the rest won’t matter.