Round 27 - Rest and Blood players

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Regardless of any result we should rest players and blood players ready for the semi's

Munster, Grant, Hughes, Meaney as well as a number of forwards - should be rested. Great time to bring in players that have yet to play first grade this year and let them fight for a spot in the semi's. My fear is not only injury but someone like big Nelson being suspended.

Paps to play 80 minutes at fullback.

Only downside is Q-Cup may miss them.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No we shouldn’t

Falcons need to win to make the semis

It wouldn’t be fair on the falcons it wouldn’t be fair on the players

Tyran will Proberly play NRL that can’t be helped with Jonah injured but to literally take any player out of the falcons in my opinion is the wrong move (even though I bloody love Sua Jack Chris Jayden and Aaron) it just wouldn’t be fair to the local falcons player the team as a whole or the club

Take the brisbane tigers players though they have the week off lol
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I doubt Craig Bellamy and the Storm hierarchy are going to let the QLD Cup finals dictate any decisions they make for the first grade squad, they will have a plan for the finals and will rest/name who they think will benefit the Storm first and foremost.

That being said, who knows what that looks like, we’ve never been a team to mass rest a lot of players before the finals, but I agree Paps is a lock for 80 minutes somewhere, we know Hughes and Grant won’t play and I’d give Munster and Meaney a freshen up too.

In the pack I’d give Welch, NAS and Trent a spell but the rest have had a recent break. There is no benefit in winning this game, 3rd doesn’t improve anything for us and winning just means we probably play Penrith instead of Brisbane, I’d rather Brisbane at Suncorp so I’m not saying we should lose on purpose but I wouldn’t be risking anyone unnecessarily.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Flegg season is over. Send out the kids!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:32 pm
That being said, who knows what that looks like, we’ve never been a team to mass rest a lot of players before the finals, but I agree Paps is a lock for 80 minutes somewhere, we know Hughes and Grant won’t play and I’d give Munster and Meaney a freshen up too.
Round 20, 2020, Storm v Dragoons, we rested plenty, a lucky few got a whisper and cleaned up at the bookies. Final score, STGI 30 defeat Storm 22
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seas ... mmary.html

Of course we went on to win the big one...
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ponissi mentions a rest looms for "a few" players who have been carrying niggles. Mentions that a debut or 2 is possible too, which would be Sua, Chan or Howarth.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Melbourne Storm is expected to have halfback, Jahrome Hughes, back for the club’s first NRL finals match with the playmaker showing good early signs of recovery after injuring his knee in Saturday night’s win over the Titans.

Hughes will be one of multiple regular first grade players likely to be rested in Thursday’s clash with Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

“Hughesy has pulled up well in the last couple of days but will miss this week along with a few players who have been carrying niggling injuries that will benefit from a week off before the finals,” Storm General Manager Football, Frank Ponissi, said today.

“It is a long and tough season so we will take the opportunity to freshen up a number of the boys before we head into our finals campaign. We also get the chance to give some other players more NRL game time which will be important for our preparation for finals footy.”

Ponissi said there is also a chance of one or two players making their debut for Storm on Thursday night.

Storm is spending three days on the Sunshine Coast this week in preparation for their Round 27 match and as part of their partnership with the Sunshine Coast Falcons.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:18 pm Ponissi mentions a rest looms for "a few" players who have been carrying niggles. Mentions that a debut or 2 is possible too, which would be Sua, Chan or Howarth.
Geyer might be a show too
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Excited over the possibility of some of our young talent finally debuting but it would be such a bummer for the Falcons. Wonder if the players would be given the choice?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Posted this in the RD 26 thread too ….I don’t know how to feel right now

Debut Cole Geyer and Joe chan they have the week off

I’ve literally spent the whole year trying to get Storm to debut Sua and Jack and the bloody week they can and most likely

will I’m conflicted and don’t want them too

Trouble is if falcons win they run in to the tigers and only one can make the final anyway so do you debut Sua and Jack bring back juzzy and Chris maybe Aaron and concede defeat on purpose or do you let them play hope they win and have an all storm semi final

Ahhhhhhhh this hurts so much
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Geyer as a development player would likely need special permission to play and I doubt the NRL will grant it given we'll be taking the piss with team selection this week and ruining what should be a Thursday night blockbuster.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought you could play development players after a certain round
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RD 11 you can play anyone without permission
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks, yeah I thought it was something like that. I think technically, Young is on a development deal this year...
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2284cd0a96

"Bellamy confirmed on NRL 360 that he will rest “four or five” players against the Broncos. “Not quite sure who and how many but we are looking to rest some guys who will help us the week after. To be honest I think we will rest four to five guys... There have been a lot of guys who have played a lot of footy and a rest will do them good,” Bellamy said. The Melbourne coach did reveal that one youngster, Sua Fa’alogo is putting his hand up for selection. “He’s a big chance to play to be honest, I won’t guarantee that. He’s only a small kid but he’s lightning. He’s tough as well and doesn’t shirk away from contact,” Bellamy said."