Coaches playbook

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Last night storm had a talk at aami park with 3 of the coaches it was actually so cool to hear from all three of the guy

Frank Ponessi Fooball manager
Todd Lowrie development and reserves manager
Marc Brentnall assistant and attack coach

A run down

Points Marc made

*The players have had an up and down year in terms of playing they said they knew this would happen especially considering they have some young forwards

*This has been a different week training wise as it was a short week the night after the game the coaches were up until 3 in the morning at the hotel reviewing the game …bellza was high on red bull (so much fun kinda sarcastic) but the players got their review done the next morning

*Paps has trained in 3/4 different positions they are still trying to figure out if he should play and most likely if he did it won’t be at fullback just yet as they believe Nick has been their best player this year
*Marc said Cam Munster would gamble with kicks on every play but they try and get him to reign it in if it’s an important game

*what’s it like in the box with Bellza…he said he hardly ever notices the yelling and screaming anymore aaron and him are calm and understand what Craig is saying relys the messages in English to Todd
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry guys had some stuff to do will have to add Todd and Franks points later
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Points Todd made

*works with all players outside the 22 each week falcons tigers and 21s who train with the squad

*get the “renegades” to train like the team coming up this week the titans obv

*works with players who are (stuck) in reserves trying to get back into first grade sometimes it’s their attitude or sometimes it’s just unlucky makes sure they understand why they are there

*they (Frank and Todd) talked about Justin and Remis
…juzzy has been behind the eight ball all years after the World Cup then had limited pre season then broke his arm then played a couple of bad games. Craig spoke to him on what he needs to work on been playing cup since then has worked on everything craig wanted now just putting pressure on young and Maz
….Craig wanted Remis to work on a few thing in cup and has been doing that now putting pressure on young and Maz Todd said they don’t just pull players out once the others are ready to come back they gotta earn the jersey back

*Todd and Frank said apart from Nick and maybe 1or 2 others every player who comes to storm will do 1/2 years at Falcons or Tigers at storm you don’t just come play first grade you work your way up though the teams

*questions about reserve players
…Cole young bench hooker playing brilliant football atm Todd believes he is ready for first grade next year a bit like cheese would be good off the bench needs to work on defence but is doing well
….Joe Chan has played a lot of French league which is a lot different to Cup and NRL is finding his feet and learning a lot Todd thinks the last month he has played his best footy

I asked about my favourite player Sua and the player everyone wants to know about Jack
…Jack Howarth Todd said he has been in cup along time has been ready for first grade for a while just unfortunately the first grade squad in his position is stacked and everytime they want to use him somthing ends up happening to him. They were gonna use him early in the year and he did his shoulder had 6 weeks off when he came back the position was gone again he was gonna be used a few weeks ago he hurt his foot and now he is just keeping the pressure on the first grade players …Will definitely get a chance next year
….Sua suas problem is Nick Meaney and now Paps Frank and Todd believe he is ready and has been ready for first grade for a while just Nick has been too good at fullback unfortunately like Jack the week Nick was out Sua was also injured so Suas been killing it in Cup and helping Paps to get back ..Frank said they would be awesome together in first grade (sneaky little thing Frank said at the end he will definitely get his chance next year if not in the next few weeks I think he was joking though)

*questions about reserve teams from Frank adding North Sydney Bears won’t affect Tigers and Falcons. this year has been incredibly hard on the falcons and Tigers as 90% of the games the storm had had to send 8/9 players to each squad which means the locals boys are missing out. The local boys are training all week only for the storm to say here have 8 guys they must play. next year storm will only send 3/4 maybe 5 to the qld teams
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Great insights into the inner sanctum thanks for the post Sally! Some very interesting points and some questions answered that a lot of us fans have been wondering about.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for sharing, Sally. I don't fully agree with them but good to know the thought process behind certain decisions.

This was a really cool thing the club did.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Frank was absolutely amazing started work at 6am at storm HQ finished at 3 was at Richmond interviewing head coaches until 7 and came back to Storm to chat to us and we finished at 8 they guy is amazing

Points Frank Made he was taking the whole time with Marc and Todd so his points are throughout really but the stand alone things included

*has loved working with the storm has been with the club along time there still lots to work on

*craig May look like he is hard to work with but he is actually very easy to work with

*Craig retiring the next coach is already within the squad they don’t know who it is yet (I call BS lol would never say that to Frank though) they want someone who is like Craig who only wants to focus on the team not try and do everything like a lot of coaches at other clubs ……Frank did mention Jason Ryles and Marc being very Storm

*player retention it’s the first time in maybe 10ish years they aren’t letting go a player from their top 17 (the regulars) there will be some hard good byes and these players have already been told …

*A player who they were going to let go has been killing it the last few weeks has just been told they will keep him (I’ve tried to work it out can you think of who it could be)

*they are looking at forwards but there isn’t much on the market better to recruit from within (reserves or 21s and train them up)

* Storm have officallly taken over running all rep teams as of ver recently means better coaching better grounds (when Broadmeadows is finally finished)

*The 21s …will keep recruiting from victoria as well as QLD and NSW this has been their best season in many years …get down to watch them at aami before the storm game ….the coach has been retained 95% of the squad can still play for another year so squad till be almost the same next year

*nsw cup one of the reasons we have now got the nsw cup team is the 21s can’t go play QLD cup as they can’t switch between comps if you play Qcup you can’t come back and play 21s so they want to have the older 21s next year switch between cup and 21s to get expirence this year they have been playing 21s and playing local league with Sunbury

NRLw aiming for 2027/28 they are starting from the bottom and entering teams in age groups at the younger ages now girls 16/17 19s Victorians and QLD and NSW girls so they will train the Storm way and ready for when we enter a team

Last thing Frank said was he will end up running the Victorian pathways in a few years when he steps away from his role at the storm (I assume craig will take his job (maybe) ) he isn’t happy that there’s only been 5 Victorians (said Sua will be next) and wants to see more come through the storm not let other players on the radar leave too many running around in nsw and Qcup that should be in our system

*mentianed 3 players to watch 2 Victorians Gabriel Satrick (Winger centre) Micheal Jennings (winger centre) and suliasi prescott (hooker)
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think that it …if I remember anything else I’ll add it later
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I’m guessing Young T is the player who was probably going to be cut loose as he was on a train & trial and now they want to keep him?

It’s interesting our top 30 squad is basically already complete for next season, and the players that will be cut loose is pretty obvious too, probably look something like this:

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Xavier Coates
3. Reimis Smith
4. Marion Seve
5. Will Warbrick
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Christian Welch (c)
9. Harry Grant
10. Tui Kamikamika
11. Elisea Katoa
12. Trent Loiero
13. Josh King

14. Nick Meaney
15. Bronson Garlick
16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
17. Tepai Moeroa (off contract)

18. Sua Fa’alogo
19. Jack Howarth
20. Tom Eisenhuth
21. Lazarus Vaalepu
22. Tyran Wishart
23. Alex MacDonald
24. Aaron Pene
25. Jonah Pezet
26. Young Tonumaipea
27. Kane Bradley
28. Chris Lewis
29. Joe Chan
30. Justin Olam

Only Tepai is off contract from the entire squad and he should definitely be offered a deal!

Probably leaving (all are off contract) -

Tariq Sims
Grant Anderson
George Jennings
Jayden Nikorima
Dean Ieremia
Jordan Grant

So I doubt we will see much movement in the player market, glad to read the Storm see Sua & Jack as first grade ready I think both a will play a big role in the first grade team for a long time, they’ve done their apprenticeships it’s time to blood them.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.zerotackle.com/talented-bro ... ce=Twitter

This might be the players Frank was talking about …forwards …he never said names so it could be

Also posted in signing thread
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:12 pm I’m guessing Young T is the player who was probably going to be cut loose as he was on a train & trial and now they want to keep him?

Tariq Sims
Grant Anderson
George Jennings
Jayden Nikorima
Dean Ieremia
Jordan Grant

So I doubt we will see much movement in the player market, glad to read the Storm see Sua & Jack as first grade ready I think both a will play a big role in the first grade team for a long time, they’ve done their apprenticeships it’s time to blood them.

Frank said they wernt saying goodbye to many so not sure it’s all the above guys but Proberly some of them

I didn’t even think of young but he would make sense …he has been playing really good for a few weeks that links up with what Frank said
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:14 pm
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:12 pm I’m guessing Young T is the player who was probably going to be cut loose as he was on a train & trial and now they want to keep him?

Tariq Sims
Grant Anderson
George Jennings
Jayden Nikorima
Dean Ieremia
Jordan Grant

Frank said they wernt saying goodbye to many so not sure it’s all the above guys but Proberly some of them

I didn’t even think of young but he would make sense …he has been playing really good for a few weeks that links up with what Frank said
What is Meaney's contract? (I mean length, not dollars) For me he's about the only one who's killing it, all year, and I reckon he'll win the coached and players awards.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Contracted for next year only
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Thanks for all this Sally, very VERY interesting. Sometimes it's more about what they don't say than what they don't.

Marc
"The players have had an up and down year in terms of playing they said they knew this would happen especially considering they have some young forwards" - Smoke screan. Privately I'm sure the coaches and club would be very disappointed

"Paps has trained in 3/4 different positions they are still trying to figure out if he should play and most likely if he did it won’t be at fullback just yet as they believe Nick has been their best player this year" - with this praise hard to see Nick being shifted

"Marc said Cam Munster would gamble with kicks on every play but they try and get him to reign it in if it’s an important game" - My opinion, let's see more of it. Defences are so structured and regimented in knowing what's coming this is like the ultimate curve ball

Todd
"they gotta earn the jersey back" - I really like this attitude, so long as it doesn't end up like the Australian cricket team where it is harder to get out of the side than in.
"Craig wanted Remis to work on a few thing in cup" - This surprises me, I wouldn't have thought he was hardly the worst

Todd/Frank
"Sua suas problem is Nick Meaney and now Paps Frank and Todd believe he is ready and has been ready for first grade for a while just Nick has been too good at fullback unfortunately like Jack the week Nick was out Sua was also injured so Suas been killing it in Cup and helping Paps to get back ..Frank said they would be awesome together in first grade (sneaky little thing Frank said at the end he will definitely get his chance next year if not in the next few weeks I think he was joking though)" - Not too sure about the joking, maybe not this year but it's definitely a left field idea

Frank
"they are looking at forwards but there isn’t much on the market better to recruit from within (reserves or 21s and train them up)" - is this an acknowledgement of an obvious problem or just a routine thing?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He said it was a problem at all clubs
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Thanks Sally this is great post and thanks for your efforts

My issue with the Victorian juniors is that every player that comes through is a back (Mahe, young, rich, dean, sua) that's a starting back 5 right there.

Why are there no playmakers and forwards in the Vic juniors?