Round 26 - Storm vs Titans AAMI Park, 26th Aug

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:56 pm Surely a good team in the finals will burn us for it but genuinely impressed and surprised Young and Seve are keeping out the more recognised duo for another week.

Gotta be a bit embarrassing to think the highly rated King was dropped.
Dropped if he plays QCup … workload managed if he doesn’t play anywhere ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It literally says in the team update Josh was rested as he has played every game …god I see nothing wrong with giving players a rest if we can
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Insomniac wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:28 am Image

Maybe try a full stop and a paragraph here and there, Papenhuyzen23! :hypno:
Haha my bad mate, I’ll keep it in mind for my next novel 😅
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:45 pm It literally says in the team update Josh was rested as he has played every game …god I see nothing wrong with giving players a rest if we can
As much as the club issues whatever they want us to hear I genuinely believe in this case he is actually being rested. The conversation about his suitability for the team by us arm chair experts is completely justified.

In my broader opinion CB definitely has his favourites, whether that being on field output or training paddock Craig will back his "chosen" ones to the hilt, regardless of what we think. Chris Anderson backed his son but the club at that time was bigger than the individual and we all know how that played out...

Hard to drop Seve and Young T's enthusiasm at bringing the ball back is hard to be ignored. I still feel Remis is a much better defender and passer though. He's not completely wasted on the wing but with Will and X, well, over to you coaches!

The forwards are absolutely our achilles heal and need to have a rocket put up them. I thought when Nelson beat 3 Canberra players to the ball times were a changing, maybe not.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

There is no way the team is going any where in September with the 5 outside backs that are playing this week. They might wonderful players on their day, good blokes and love the the team, but they are just not good enough. They are no where our best five but for some reason the Bellamy is playing them every week.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don’t really think Reimis was doing a lot this season (one on one defensively maybe?) and Olam was actively helping Newcastle the last time he played first grade. The outside backs are average at best but we’re probably getting the best football out of both centre positions than we have all season right now.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What about Nick Meaney to the centres? Elusive, not scared to take a hard run, good hands, he isn’t as small as people think to give context he is 5cm taller than Seve and only plays 2kg lighter, we haven’t had a standout centre since the days of Inglis/Folau/King, even during our recent domination we have had guys like Chambers, Curtis Scott, Brenko Lee etc. Justin Olam was elite for a few years but as we all know has fallen off a cliff. I still think we either need to go to market in the off-season or look at creating some centres in house, whether that be Meaney, Warbrick, Fa’a logo, Howarth etc, we definitely need some strike there.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:58 pm What about Nick Meaney to the centres? Elusive, not scared to take a hard run, good hands, he isn’t as small as people think to give context he is 5cm taller than Seve and only plays 2kg lighter, we haven’t had a standout centre since the days of Inglis/Folau/King, even during our recent domination we have had guys like Chambers, Curtis Scott, Brenko Lee etc. Justin Olam was elite for a few years but as we all know has fallen off a cliff. I still think we either need to go to market in the off-season or look at creating some centres in house, whether that be Meaney, Warbrick, Fa’a logo, Howarth etc, we definitely need some strike there.
My opinion about centres is they're only as good as those around them make them look good. Infield pushing across, create space, giving the ball appropriately and at the right time and being able to defend one on one, defending one on one, this is the biggie. Munster misses regularly and the centre needs to commit.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullucked wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:37 pm
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:58 pm What about Nick Meaney to the centres? Elusive, not scared to take a hard run, good hands, he isn’t as small as people think to give context he is 5cm taller than Seve and only plays 2kg lighter, we haven’t had a standout centre since the days of Inglis/Folau/King, even during our recent domination we have had guys like Chambers, Curtis Scott, Brenko Lee etc. Justin Olam was elite for a few years but as we all know has fallen off a cliff. I still think we either need to go to market in the off-season or look at creating some centres in house, whether that be Meaney, Warbrick, Fa’a logo, Howarth etc, we definitely need some strike there.
My opinion about centres is they're only as good as those around them make them look good. Infield pushing across, create space, giving the ball appropriately and at the right time and being able to defend one on one, defending one on one, this is the biggie. Munster misses regularly and the centre needs to commit.
Fair point, I guess no matter how good a centre is if he is surrounded by players who make mistakes he is going to struggle, and you are spot on that edge defensively with Munny/Trent/X is pretty questionable defensively, they miss a lot of tackles and leak points, that edge has been a problem for a while and needs some addressing for sure.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wishart drops away.

Garlick to hooker, Harry Grant to the bench.

Papi is in
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bench is a bit light for my liking but can understand the tactic with Grant coming in a bit later in the game.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hate giving their outside men so much space while back peddling. Also there is my gripe with Warbrick. Dude knows he can hit, right?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our defence has fallen off a cliff in recent years. We love nothing more than piggybacking a team off their own line.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

How many penalties does this bloody team give away when the opposition are utterly gassed and trying to work it out of their own end?

It’s absolutely infuriating.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Typical Storm... terrible defence at times, ineffective tackles, very poor discipline. We'll be found out well and truly in the finals.

Still struggling to understand how Reimis is not an upgrade over Young, despite Young's efforts.